Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Free Fast Wifi Near Botanic Garden?

Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

Hi

I'm going to be in Singapore on Wednesday with friend.
We will be meeting someone in the Botanic Garden in the afternoon and straight afterwards I'll have to take a conference call on my computer.

Do you know any quiet places with fast free/affordable wifi that aren't too far away?
I'm an SPG and Hilton Gold member, as well as an IHG Gold Ambassador if that helps...
The call will take an hour at most, probably just half an hour...

I have never been to Singapore before...
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Before leaving the airport, get 3G/4G prepaid SIM card (you can buy at money exchange shops) either from Starhub or from Singtel. Just tell them that you need only $8 SIM card and no other bundle.

The SIM cost SIN $8 and comes with $10 credit. Using that credit you can buy data traffic: Starhub $5 for 1G data for 3 days or Singtel 1G data for 7 days.

So you will spend just SIN $8 and you will have your own sim card with data traffic enabled and won't depend on hotspot. Ask at shop to activate and check the data bundle and confirm that you can browse internet.

In terms where to have the call - better to hop on bus/taxi, come to Orchard st and have the call in a lobby of one of hotels.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I don't need a SIM card, I need this to work on my PC.
I am not sure if a hotspot on my iPhone would be fast enough.
If I need to go to a hotel to use their lobby, I might as well ask for wifi access there...?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I don't need a SIM card, I need this to work on my PC.
I am not sure if a hotspot on my iPhone would be fast enough.
If I need to go to a hotel to use their lobby, I might as well ask for wifi access there...?
Well, you have been given the best practical option in your situation. It is up to you to take it or leave it.

Another suggestion - iPass.

Good luck.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
This will provide connectivity for all your devices at reasonable cost - phone for web connectivity, tablet, laptop.

https://www.tepwireless.com/wifi/sin...FdgSgQodUZsKhA

Quiet location is a different matter entirely. You could always taxi to the Hilton or Sheraton and leverage status, both on/near Orchard.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Some might tell you to go down to Hwa Chong Institution (one stop down by Downtown Line), or to the French Embassy!

But really, SingTel has a 50GB tourist prepaid card for cheap now, that last 5 or 10 days (can't remember) so that might be a mighty good idea for an occasional Netflix or the like if you're gonna stay in SIN for a while.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.