Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Places to eat in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exbeing
those who like Durians should go to Balestier. They are fresh and cheaper than most places in Singapore
And remember, if you want to eat here you must bargain. If you get more than one you can almost certainly get a discount.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Shinji by Kanesaka - St. Regis

It's been a long time since I last posted anything in this thread on food reviews.

This was my recent meal at Shinji by Kanesaka which is at the St. Regis hotel in Singapore.
I went for the lunchtime Omakase Yume menu ($250). Everyone else at the restaurant appeared to go for the Chef's Omakase Special ($300).
The food really was truly exquisite, so I hope you enjoy the video.

I've moved to this format as I found managing my photos on flickr to be a pain. There's no commentary on these videos, but in future, I will try to add more details on locations and so on.

If you enjoyed it, please do subscribe to and like my YouTube channel as I will become more active with videos and will upload them here as well.
ajca likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Afternoon tea at the Atlas Bar

I recently had the opportunity to try out the afternoon tea at the Atlas bar in Singapore.

For those of you that don't know the Atlas Bar go check out their website - Home Atlas

Back to the high tea. Well what an experience. There are a lot of places that serve afternoon/high tea but this is definitely going to once at least.

As a warning, this isn't a buffet so don't expect to be totally bursting afterwards. I enjoyed myself and didn't feel uncomfortable when I left, which is new

Is there any where you want me to try in the Asian region? Let me know! I am always looking for new places to try!

And as always please like the video and subscribe to the channel
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
JAAN

Thanks for this thread and esp. the reports from @SQTraveller.
It was difficult to choose a couple of "nicer" meals during our short stay in Singapore (remaining meals were at Hawker Centres), but we were fortunate enough to book a lunch at JAAN, by Chef Kirk Westaway, located on the 70th floor of the Swisshotel The Stamford.
The decor of the restaurant was beautiful, and there was a fantastic view towards the water as well as the city. Having just arrived in Singapore in the morning, it helped us situate ourselves regarding places to visit after our feast.
We, like most of the other diners, opted for the full tasting menu (~S$170) (with wine by the glass rather than by flight as we were jet-lagged and wanted to sight-see after lunch). The food was inventive, presented beautifully and tasted AMAZING. Portions were generous, and there were "extras" like a huge loaf of sourdough bread; foccacia with parmesan; a palate cleanser and an extra dessert (unique to us due to nut-sensitivity). Service was attentive but unobtrusive. We were very full at the end of it all and very happy!

(Just realized I'm missing a photo of the Kinmedai dish - this was presented by the Chef and we had a nice chat, so clearly we were too distracted to take a photo of the dish!)

Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
We had High Tea at the Clifford Pier at the Fullerton Bay Hotel. We chose this location because they offered foods that incorporated local tastes, such as a Chili Crab bun, and kaya to spread onto the more traditional scones. Food was plentiful and they even offered to replenish items (although our stomachs would not allow for this). They also let you to switch up your teas if you didn't like your first choice.
We only wished that someone provided a warming about the Ondeh Ondeh; the "squirt" of sugar cane syrup was totally unexpected for the uninitiated - one person who popped the whole thing in her mouth ended up almost choking when the syrup went down the wrong pipe; another who tried to cut it in half ended up wearing syrup up her arm.

Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteadyAT
Thanks for this thread and esp. the reports from @SQTraveller.
It was difficult to choose a couple of "nicer" meals during our short stay in Singapore (remaining meals were at Hawker Centres), but we were fortunate enough to book a lunch at JAAN, by Chef Kirk Westaway, located on the 70th floor of the Swisshotel The Stamford.
The decor of the restaurant was beautiful, and there was a fantastic view towards the water as well as the city. Having just arrived in Singapore in the morning, it helped us situate ourselves regarding places to visit after our feast.
We, like most of the other diners, opted for the full tasting menu (~S$170) (with wine by the glass rather than by flight as we were jet-lagged and wanted to sight-see after lunch). The food was inventive, presented beautifully and tasted AMAZING. Portions were generous, and there were "extras" like a huge loaf of sourdough bread; foccacia with parmesan; a palate cleanser and an extra dessert (unique to us due to nut-sensitivity). Service was attentive but unobtrusive. We were very full at the end of it all and very happy!

(Just realized I'm missing a photo of the Kinmedai dish - this was presented by the Chef and we had a nice chat, so clearly we were too distracted to take a photo of the dish!)

Thank you for the kinds words and the beautiful photos.

Can't wait to try JAAN next!!!!!!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, IC Plat Elt, Hilton Diamond, QF silver
I've got one night in SIN coming up next month, I'm keen to try the Hawker experience with my 5 year old son, any recommendations for some great satay?

thanks guys
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteadyAT
We had High Tea at the Clifford Pier at the Fullerton Bay Hotel. We chose this location because they offered foods that incorporated local tastes, such as a Chili Crab bun, and kaya to spread onto the more traditional scones. Food was plentiful and they even offered to replenish items (although our stomachs would not allow for this). They also let you to switch up your teas if you didn't like your first choice.
We only wished that someone provided a warming about the Ondeh Ondeh; the "squirt" of sugar cane syrup was totally unexpected for the uninitiated - one person who popped the whole thing in her mouth ended up almost choking when the syrup went down the wrong pipe; another who tried to cut it in half ended up wearing syrup up her arm.

I've eaten the Fullerton Hotel and not the Fullerton Bay (owned by the same group) and the food looks kinda similar. But maybe I should give it a try nonetheless!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sualg
I've got one night in SIN coming up next month, I'm keen to try the Hawker experience with my 5 year old son, any recommendations for some great satay?

thanks guys
You could try the Newton Food Centre for satay but just please for the love of all that is holy, please do not go to Lau Pa Sat - the satay (street) there is truly appalling. I don't think I've eaten worse satay anywhere else.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
please do not go to Lau Pa Sat - the satay (street) there is truly appalling. I don't think I've eaten worse satay anywhere else.
Ditto.

Satay by the Bay is another place to try if you're in and around Gardens by the Bay.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by sualg
You might try Seah Im Food Centre which is across the harborfront. There is an indonesian stall in the middle which makes great (my opinion) Sate and Gado-Gado.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
You might try Seah Im Food Centre which is across the harborfront. There is an indonesian stall in the middle which makes great (my opinion) Sate and Gado-Gado.
Wow! gado-gado -- must try!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Atlas named Bar of the Year @ World Gourmet Awards 2019

For those who are interested (or who care), the Atlas Bar was recently named Bar of the Year @ the World Gourmet Awards

So I didn't actually go for a drink, but hey ... I've been

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I recently had the opportunity to try out the afternoon tea at the Atlas bar in Singapore.

For those of you that don't know the Atlas Bar go check out their website - Home Atlas

Back to the high tea. Well what an experience. There are a lot of places that serve afternoon/high tea but this is definitely going to once at least.

https://youtu.be/z5LJYyrZwAk

As a warning, this isn't a buffet so don't expect to be totally bursting afterwards. I enjoyed myself and didn't feel uncomfortable when I left, which is new

Is there any where you want me to try in the Asian region? Let me know! I am always looking for new places to try!

And as always please like the video and subscribe to the channel
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:05 am

For both the food and the view you must check out Panamericana at the Sentosa Golf Club
https://www.panamericana.sg

Possibly the best location in Singapore, overlooking the water and the golf course they serve amazing food and an incredible menu of cocktails.

Directly opposite the Sofitel on Sentosa
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skooby
For both the food and the view you must check out Panamericana at the Sentosa Golf Club
https://www.panamericana.sg

Possibly the best location in Singapore, overlooking the water and the golf course they serve amazing food and an incredible menu of cocktails.

Directly opposite the Sofitel on Sentosa
I would challenge anyone who is looking out into the Singapore Straits to show me a spot where there are no tankers or large container ships. It's one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. At night, it's like a veritable Christmas tree. Unless that's what you mean by the view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.