FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Good value Buffet restaurant in Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1735351-good-value-buffet-restaurant-singapore.html)

shonamac Dec 30, 2015 5:25 pm

Good value Buffet restaurant in Singapore

What would be a good buffet restaurant (either lunch or dinner) to sample local cuisine(e.g. chilli crab, nyonya food etc)? "Good" in my books is above all good quality of food and also good value for money. Single person dining.

invisible Dec 31, 2015 3:38 am

Originally Posted by TinDrum (Post 25937871)
What would be a good buffet restaurant (either lunch or dinner) to sample local cuisine(e.g. chilli crab, nyonya food etc)? "Good" in my books is above all good quality of food and also good value for money. Single person dining.

Penang Place is the only reasonable priced place, very conveniently located - right at MRT station - food there really tastes good. Take a look at their menu.

P.S. You can't taste chilli crab in buffets because it is special item and quite expensive one - expect to pay $45-$120 for a meal depending on location.

shuigao Jan 3, 2016 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by TinDrum (Post 25937871)
What would be a good buffet restaurant (either lunch or dinner) to sample local cuisine(e.g. chilli crab, nyonya food etc)?

For business associates visiting SG/Malaysia for the first time my default entertaining place is Straits Kitchen at Grand Hyatt. Food's generally fairly good and there's lots of variety. A bit pricey at around u$50 ish though.

Antonio8069 Jan 3, 2016 7:43 pm

Chinatown

If you really want good value, visit the street market in Chinatown:

http://www.chinatown.sg/index.php?fx...=2&g3=17&m=map

The food is totally authentic, and you can buy as many dishes as you fancy from the outdoor vendors (my personal favourite is the beef/chicken satay sticks!) Average 5 SGD per person plus drinks.

JHattery Jan 4, 2016 10:13 am

If you want "safe," and don't want to be bothered to have to make challenging decisions - go to the Straights Kitchen at the Grand Hyatt. The advantage there is you can try bits and bites of everything, can keep going back for more, and aren't "committed" to whatever you ordered. If you want more authentic. go to one of the better hawker centers. There are loads of threads devoted to that topic.

tommy.tan Jan 10, 2016 4:30 am

Hello,

Tommy here from Singapore. I recommend the following buffet restaurants in Singapore.

- The melt world cafe at Mandarin Oriental
- The edge at pan pacific Singapore

You can also use an website called Juyyo to search for buffet promotions in singapore.

Here is the search results for you. http://www.juyyo.com/tags/results/buffet

Hope if helps!

Cheers

invisible Jan 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by tommy.tan (Post 25993406)
Hello,

Tommy here from Singapore. I recommend the following buffet restaurants in Singapore.

- The melt world cafe at Mandarin Oriental
- The edge at pan pacific Singapore

Yaah, right, why be modest, go with Ritz directly.

Can't imagine myself spending $100 on buffet, but that's just me.

bitesize Feb 1, 2016 2:24 am

Should also try Sunday Brunch :)

SQTraveller Feb 13, 2016 8:15 pm

"Value" is a relative word. I am happy to spend $100 per person on a buffet I think it serves great food, has a nice atmosphere that suits the people that you have invited, and who's service is impeccable.

Inevitably you pay for what you get --- pay less, you get poorer quality food. A decent place to try is the Line at the Shangri La hotel. If you book online you can get a discount.
The food is good, but the service is pretty slow; and you get a lot of expats, some of whom just want to drink it up and are frankly loud and obnoxious to the waiting staff --- makes the rest of look bad.

invisible Feb 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by SQTraveller (Post 26181485)
Inevitably you pay for what you get --- pay less, you get poorer quality food.

So... are you telling that by paying $140 per person you are getting 40 times better food that chicken rice for $3.5? Right?

Ryvyan Feb 14, 2016 10:14 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 26181663)
So... are you telling that by paying $140 per person you are getting 40 times better food that chicken rice for $3.5? Right?

I don't even think this was what the original poster meant. For buffets, it is quite a standard rule of thumb to look at prices and then google the hell out of the place to read reviews.

blade007 Feb 16, 2016 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by SQTraveller (Post 26181485)
"Value" is a relative word. I am happy to spend $100 per person on a buffet I think it serves great food, has a nice atmosphere that suits the people that you have invited, and who's service is impeccable.

Inevitably you pay for what you get --- pay less, you get poorer quality food. A decent place to try is the Line at the Shangri La hotel. If you book online you can get a discount.
The food is good, but the service is pretty slow; and you get a lot of expats, some of whom just want to drink it up and are frankly loud and obnoxious to the waiting staff --- makes the rest of look bad.

Agree on the value, there should be at least a budget set as different people value quality differently.

Regarding The Line, you should try out Pan Pac Edge instead these days. The variety and quality of food is actually better than The Line. Pricing is quite similiar.

MSPeconomist Feb 16, 2016 11:36 pm

If you want an impressive buffet experience (not cheap but overall good value), think about afternoon tea or a lunch/brunch buffet at Raffles. In fact, many hotels in Singapore do Sunday brunch buffets, but be sure to understand whether drinks and service/tax are included in the stated price.

Note that the hawker centers are not buffets.

Some might argue that paying extra for club lounge access at the Conrad (for example) satisfies the criteria for being a good value buffet.