Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Do I need Singapore money for a 24 hour layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need Singapore money for a 24 hour layover?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
People coming from Khatib and Punggol would find prices at Maxwell/Amoy really high... just a local perspective..
Wow, they have meals cheaper than $3-4? That's incredible! I am just comparing the prices to those back home, and I would be paying at least double for all the meals I had.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
Wow, they have meals cheaper than $3-4? That's incredible! I am just comparing the prices to those back home,
Well, if you are coming from Switzerland, than I can understand. Won't ever forget how coffee and a sandwich at deli section in a supermarket (cheapest street food I guess) cost me 20 swiss francs. Here for that price you can feed 4 people in a hawker center with food and drinks.

and I would be paying at least double for all the meals I had.
Not all meals at Maxwell/Amoy are in $3-$4 range, I would say that most meals are double of that. Hawker centers at HDB areas away from the city center (Khatib, Jurong, CCK, etc..) have prices about 30% cheaper....

BTW, in terms of street food, the best price/performance you can get is at Chinatown, right at the exit C of Chinatown MRT - People Park Complex. On the left after exit there are stalls selling large pork Pau (or Bao) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakpau
It costs $1.50 and it is larger than palm. Eating one will put you into food coma.

Last edited by invisible; Mar 28, 2019 at 12:08 am
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:15 pm

Wow, they have meals cheaper than $3-4? That's incredible! I am just comparing the prices to those back home, and I would be paying at least double for all the meals I had.
My normal meals are typically more than that as when i'm on holiday I tend to eat 3 or 4 dishes.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Well, if you are coming from Switzerland, than I can understand. Won't ever forget how coffee and a sandwich at deli section in a supermarket (cheapest street food I guess) cost me 20 swiss francs. Here for that price you can feed 4 people in a hawker center with food and drinks.

Not all meals at Maxwell/Amoy are in $3-$4 range, I would say that most meals are double of that. Hawker centers at HDB areas away from the city center (Khatib, Jurong, CCK, etc..) have prices about 30% cheaper....

BTW, in terms of street food, the best price/performance you can get is at Chinatown, right at the exit C of Chinatown MRT - People Park Complex. On the left after exit there are stalls selling large pork Pau (or Bao) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakpau
It costs $1.50 and it is larger than palm. Eating one will put you into food coma.
Wow, I am in LA, so I used to paying for meals in the 12-15 range. Switzerland sounds like a place where the prices are enough to terrify me from visiting! I will keep the Bakpau as a suggestion, two days in Singapore was not enough, I will have to spend more time the next opportunity I have to travel to SG!

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
My normal meals are typically more than that as when i'm on holiday I tend to eat 3 or 4 dishes.
It's similar for me, but I tend to gravitate toward cheaper dishes to justify eating more of them throughout the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.