Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Do I need Singapore money for a 24 hour layover?

Do I need Singapore money for a 24 hour layover?

Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:21 pm
boa

Programs: UA 1MM and constantly changing status in a bunch of Hotel programs
I have a 24 hour layover on a MR and hope I won't be too jet-lagged (economy seats :-( ) to do some quick touring. I'm thinking I'll use the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus to see the main sights and get off at a couple. I definitely want to try the hawker centers versus restaurants or bars. Not interested in much shopping except for a few souvenirs for myself and a few others. (Carry-on only.)

So my question is not whether I need money but what is approximately the amount I'll need to visit several food stalls and pickup some postcards and typical "cheap" souvenirs. I don't want to be left with a large sum to convert back. Will S$50 take care of the hunger pains or do I need to go to S$100. (I'll wait until I'm back at my hotel for a cocktail, where I don't have to worry about the double whammy of alcohol and jet-lag.)
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by boa
I have a 24 hour layover on a MR and hope I won't be too jet-lagged (economy seats :-( ) to do some quick touring. I'm thinking I'll use the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus to see the main sights and get off at a couple. I definitely want to try the hawker centers versus restaurants or bars. Not interested in much shopping except for a few souvenirs for myself and a few others. (Carry-on only.)

So my question is not whether I need money but what is approximately the amount I'll need to visit several food stalls and pickup some postcards and typical "cheap" souvenirs. I don't want to be left with a large sum to convert back. Will S$50 take care of the hunger pains or do I need to go to S$100. (I'll wait until I'm back at my hotel for a cocktail, where I don't have to worry about the double whammy of alcohol and jet-lag.)
It all depends on which hawker stalls (and how many) you go to but i would imagine food shouldn't cost more than $50. A reasonable guide is that each dish should probably cost around $5-10. So if you have 5 plates, that's enough.

Now with regards to postcards, I don't know how much they cost, but if you have run out of money because you ate too much (as I would) I just buy all that tourist tat from the airport and use my credit card - yes expensive, but saves changing more money.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by boa

SG$50 should be more than enough for hawker food (Lunch and dinner for one).

Sg tax on alcohol is quite high! It is one of the places that I would make sure that I paid for or upgrade to a room with club lounge privileges just for the beverages alone
Hoyaheel and clubeurope like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:01 pm

Depending on whether you just want a drink or if you specifically want a cocktail, it might be cheaper to buy your alcohol at duty free.
tentseller likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:33 pm
boa

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Depending on whether you just want a drink or if you specifically want a cocktail, it might be cheaper to buy your alcohol at duty free.
Well, it's been quite a while since I've had a Singapore Sling, so I can't think of a better place to indulge in this bit of youthful nostalgia than a hotel bar in Singapore (although at the Raffles would be even better). ;-)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by boa
Well, it's been quite a while since I've had a Singapore Sling, so I can't think of a better place to indulge in this bit of youthful nostalgia than a hotel bar in Singapore (although at the Raffles would be even better). ;-)
Not sure if you're flying SQ but they serve that on the plane
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:34 pm
boa

Not sure if you're flying SQ but they serve that on the plane
Nope, it's a MM run for UA so their equipment only. But . . .they may offer them on this route too so I'll ask. Thanks for the suggestion, and the other info!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:18 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wanna go now
I learned the hard way that I do best if I have my ride arranged before I arrive. I'm pretty tired after these long flights, and easily confused. I turn into a timid old lady (and 62 isn't that old!!!). I did have a coupon for Blacklane, so it wasn't quite that bad (but yeah, I know it's overpriced).

You have all convinced me that I should have some money so I can enjoy spur of the moment choices. I'll hit the ATM when I get there. There's always chocolate at the duty free store to use up a bit of over cash.
In the OP's first post you implied a return trip.

Just keep the spare cash for your return trip.

Do not miss out on lunch at a hawker center!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by roberto99
In the OP's first post you implied a return trip.

Just keep the spare cash for your return trip.

Do not miss out on lunch at a hawker center!
And for the love of all that is holy please do not eat at Lau Pa Sat!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:24 pm

And for the love of all that is holy please do not eat at Lau Pa Sat!
I will be visiting Singapore in a few weeks. I didn't plan on eating at Lau Pa Sat, but I am curious about why one shouldn't dine there?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
I will be visiting Singapore in a few weeks. I didn't plan on eating at Lau Pa Sat, but I am curious about why one shouldn't dine there?
It's touted as Festival Market, but there is nothing festive about it. The food there is just horrible. People rave about the satay - it's some of the worst satay I have ever eaten. And they talk about the "genuine" experience. A sign of how good a hawker centre is the number of locals who eat there outside office hours. Go at the weekend during the day and you will see almost no one - says a lot [some might say it's CBD, but if you know people in Asia, they are generally willing to travel for good food]. Office workers really only eat there during the week because they are going for a cheap-ish meal and there isn't a whole lot of choice around the area at that price point.

If you want better food at the same kind of price, I would be looking at Maxwell Food Centre or Newton Food Centre (both reasonably central) or if you are further out by the airport, Changi Village Hawker Centre.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:55 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

In addition to what SQTraveller has said, Lau Pa Sat is "where all the tourists go". The food is much pricier but not necessarily better.

For better hawker centre food, I suggest Tiong Bahru Food Market. I've had so many good things there.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Newton is no go for me after all the stories of overcharging people and horrible food. Have not been there for last six years but even if they got better, am not sure that it is stellar now.

In terms of hawker centers, in the city center there are three options - right across the street from Lau Pa Sat is Golden Shoe temporary hawker center at the exit of Telok Ayer MRT station. Then, just 15 min walk down is Maxwell food court and Amoy Street Food Center.

Outside of city center, where most local live and eat, there are number of options. Tiong Bahru is one, Zion Street is second and slightly off center there is Old Airport Road and Geylang Sarai Market.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Newton is no go for me after all the stories of overcharging people and horrible food. Have not been there for last six years but even if they got better, am not sure that it is stellar now.

In terms of hawker centers, in the city center there are three options - right across the street from Lau Pa Sat is Golden Shoe temporary hawker center at the exit of Telok Ayer MRT station. Then, just 15 min walk down is Maxwell food court and Amoy Street Food Center.

Outside of city center, where most local live and eat, there are number of options. Tiong Bahru is one, Zion Street is second and slightly off center there is Old Airport Road and Geylang Sarai Market.
It's touted as Festival Market, but there is nothing festive about it. The food there is just horrible. People rave about the satay - it's some of the worst satay I have ever eaten. And they talk about the "genuine" experience. A sign of how good a hawker centre is the number of locals who eat there outside office hours. Go at the weekend during the day and you will see almost no one - says a lot [some might say it's CBD, but if you know people in Asia, they are generally willing to travel for good food]. Office workers really only eat there during the week because they are going for a cheap-ish meal and there isn't a whole lot of choice around the area at that price point.

If you want better food at the same kind of price, I would be looking at Maxwell Food Centre or Newton Food Centre (both reasonably central) or if you are further out by the airport, Changi Village Hawker Centre.
Thank you to both of you for your suggestions! I am now in Singapore and have visited the Maxwell and Amoy Food Centres, and all three meals I had were really good, especially for the low prices paid!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I am now in Singapore and have visited the Maxwell and Amoy Food Centres, and all three meals I had were really good, especially for the low prices paid!
People coming from Khatib and Punggol would find prices at Maxwell/Amoy really high... just a local perspective..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.