Search

Singapore bus & MRT fares for kids....

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Singapore bus & MRT fares for kids....

I've been looking at the MRT website and have come to the following conclusion...

Kids under 7 travel free. If they're over 0.9m they need a special ez-link card but there's no deduction made when they tap in or out

Kids over 7 who aren't at school in Singapore pay the same price as adults. Is that correct?

Thanks
Old May 29, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I've been looking at the MRT website and have come to the following conclusion...

Kids under 7 travel free. If they're over 0.9m they need a special ez-link card but there's no deduction made when they tap in or out

Kids over 7 who aren't at school in Singapore pay the same price as adults. Is that correct?

Thanks
Pretty much yes. This needs to checked, those cards might only applicable for students at Singapore schools.

However considering fares I do not think that it worth hassle to get student Ezlink cards. You will save $10 max on discount - my the most expensive fare ever was Marseling to Woodlands to Punggol via bus, Punngol to HarbourFront via MRT and from HarbourFront to Haw Par Villa via bus again. It was >40km and I paid $2.33 for it.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yep, the over 7's need some kind of form from school. The website is clear on that. I just wondered if there was some kind of deal for visitors like us.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Yep, the over 7's need some kind of form from school. The website is clear on that. I just wondered if there was some kind of deal for visitors like us.
Did you find out ST?

tb
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Under 7's (over .9m tall) can apply at the ticket office. I think the office you need is only at certain stations - it's not the regular customer service counter that straddles landside & "trainside" but there is apparently one at Orchard.

This seems to tally with what we did 4 years back, but I was told you need to have the passport of the kid(s) with you. We didn't and given it was just one out of five, I simply bought 5 adult cards. However 4 years back a discounted fare applied, so I don't know what the situation is now.

The pricing however still baffles me and there appear to be some massive discounts for off peak travel, but a total outlay of S$110 (basic card purchase plus $10 extra) did the 5 of us fine for 4 days. Without wanting to sound glib, a $5.50 per person per day outlay was nothing more than a rounding error.

Hope that helps - any questions I'll try to answer!

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Aug 12, 2015 at 9:04 am
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Under 7's (over .9m tall) can apply at the ticket office. I think the office you need is only at certain stations - it's not the regular customer service counter that straddles landside & "trainside" but there is apparently one at Orchard.

This seems to tally with what we did 4 years back, but I was told you need to have the passport of the kid(s) with you. We didn't and given it was just one out of five, I simply bought 5 adult cards. However 4 years back a discounted fare applied, so I don't know what the situation is now.

The pricing however still baffles me and there appear to be some massive discounts for off peak travel, but a total outlay of S$110 (basic card purchase plus $10 extra) did the 5 of us fine for 4 days. Without wanting to sound glib, a $5.50 per person per day outlay was nothing more than a rounding error.

Hope that helps - any questions I'll try to answer!
Thanks. We have just one six year old (>1m), happy to pay adult price if that's the rule, but also would prefer to pay less if that's the rule! Not sure I can be bothered about getting a special card at some particular station though!

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.