Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked baggage alcohol?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
What about ambien? I know that's a special drug class in Singapore and permission needs to be obtained before travel - do they really check that?? If it's in a prescription bottle, do we still need to do all the other stuff (application, letter from MD etc)? [we will if necessary but would prefer not to if it's not needed]
As long as you are not carrying commercial quality of it - you are fine. Just bring prescription if you want to be extra sure.

However synthetic opioids - Oxycodone for example are very strictly controlled, despite the fact that they are available in Singapore as well.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:16 am

Thanks. Fortunately, we don't smoke, so alcohol is the only vice we're carrying in.

What about ambien? I know that's a special drug class in Singapore and permission needs to be obtained before travel - do they really check that?? If it's in a prescription bottle, do we still need to do all the other stuff (application, letter from MD etc)? [we will if necessary but would prefer not to if it's not needed]
The main reason for the restriction is to prevent people from reselling it illegally. As long as you have a doctor's prescription and you are bringing just enough for your personal consumption, it should be okay. The customs officers may do a check, but I doubt they will remember the entire list of controlled drugs offhand to know immediately that you are carrying one.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
What about ambien?
My carry-ons have been scanned several times at customs x-rays upon exit.
I bring Ambien (< 30) in a plastic prescription vial with no label. I have picture of my not-always-latest prescription on phone (just in case).

Nobody has ever mentioned anything and there has been no need for me to say anything. They are more interested in looking for other things (cigarettes, illicit drugs, and items beyond duty-free allowance etc).
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:43 am

Sorry to revive an old thread. If my wife and I wanted to bring a 1.75 L bottle of hard alcohol is that permissible? I wasn't sure if you are allowed to pool your allowance with a family member traveling with you to bring in a larger bottle.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
delete
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Sorry to revive an old thread. If my wife and I wanted to bring a 1.75 L bottle of hard alcohol is that permissible? I wasn't sure if you are allowed to pool your allowance with a family member traveling with you to bring in a larger bottle.
You're not allowed to pool, but you can pay tax on the quantity beyond your allowance, so she'll only be paying taxes for the .75L.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.