Wiki Posts
Search

Uber in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Uber in Singapore

How available are Uber cars in Singapore? I've started to use the service more frequently in San Francisco, and the moment I book it thru the app, a car is in front of me within a few minutes. Can I expect the same when in Singapore with Uber?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Please note that 'standard' Uber might cost you 2x-7x the price of ordinary taxi - I've already seen the story of one woman who got charged $115 for uber ride within CBD.

If you want more reasonable price, you need to book Uber X.

P.S. Never used Uber and have no intention to do so - grabtaxi/gettaxi works fine for me.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I use the Comfort Delgro Taxi app cause of Cabrewards and promotions.

But a regular taxi is just fine, Comfort/Citycab accepts credit cards (10% surcharge).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage
As an Uber driver, I can tell you the surge pricing is rare, and VERY temporary. Furthermore, most city's Uber prices are half of what a taxi fare is. Plus, no minimums from the airport.

For instance, in Tampa, the Uber rate is $1.20/mile no minimum, whereas cabs are $2.40 a mile with a $15 minimum from the airport.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Also, the surge pricing is VERY VERY clear if and when it occurs. You're warned twice, and you actually have to type the multiplier you're being charged. The problem is, Americans cannot do math.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:46 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Josh Streeter
As an Uber driver, I can tell you the surge pricing is rare, and VERY temporary. Furthermore, most city's Uber prices are half of what a taxi fare is. Plus, no minimums from the airport.

For instance, in Tampa, the Uber rate is $1.20/mile no minimum, whereas cabs are $2.40 a mile with a $15 minimum from the airport.
You are an Uber driver in Singapore?

In Singapore surge pricing is pretty frequent and predictable. Friday evening, 5PM raining, S$170 for what would normally be a S$22 trip in a normal taxi.

Without surge pricing, Uber is triple what I pay to get from BKK to my hotel. I've done it before happily, but it is tripe what I normally pay.

In Singapore Comfort Delgro with the booking fee is still half of the price of Uber.

No complaints, but I'm not sure that what someone sees in one country is similar to another country.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
SG's Uber surge pricing is in line with the taxi time of day and location surcharges.

May I suggest Uber drivers research a bit on what other Uber drivers worldwide is charging as well as different pricing structure at different part of the world>
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:42 pm

Uber availability is good in Singapore, I use it for 90% of trips as i cant be bothered with the hassle of the regular taxis. It is probably a 10-20% increase on normal - it cost me $16 to get from the Intercontinetnal to the airport last week. A regular taxi is about $14 from memory.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:47 am

We will land at the singapore airport from seoul at around 9 30 pm. We are 3 people and first timers. When we exit the airport terminal, what type of cab should I look for that is cheapest to take us to the Hilton? We would prefer a bigger car full size sedan or a van if possible cos one of us is a baby and we have heavy bags. Is there a starter at the taxi line to answer questions about rates and types of cabs? Thanks a lot
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
We will land at the singapore airport from seoul at around 9 30 pm. We are 3 people and first timers. When we exit the airport terminal, what type of cab should I look for that is cheapest to take us to the Hilton? We would prefer a bigger car full size sedan or a van if possible cos one of us is a baby and we have heavy bags. Is there a starter at the taxi line to answer questions about rates and types of cabs? Thanks a lot
It's probably best if you don't crosspost - I've already replied your question in the other thread. BTW it's not clear to me where an Uber driver would wait for someone who needs to be picked up at Changi Airport, whereas the taxi line is clearly marked - follow the crowd.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
BTW it's not clear to me where an Uber driver would wait for someone who needs to be picked up at Changi Airport, whereas the taxi line is clearly marked - follow the crowd.
I've taken an UberTaxi from SIN before and they're not allowed to pick up passengers from the normal taxi queue. What I did was to call the driver and he arranged to pick me up at a numbered pickup area just outside the arrival hall.

Unfortunately there's no way of requesting a bigger taxi if you join the normal taxi queue. I saw a couple with a baby and lots of luggage ask for one this morning (yes at SIN) and the attendant told them to get two taxis.

There isn't an UberXL service in Singapore which makes it suck.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
In Singapore cabs are dirt cheap, you don't need to go UBER!!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
First you don't have to completely exit the terminal, the Taxi Line starts in side the terminal just before the exit doors. And when in line just let the attendant know that you need a larger cab. The option is to wait till one comes or otherwise take 2 cabs. Cabs are cheap in Singapore.

http://www.taxisingapore.com/

Below are the surcharges:
Changi Airport Additional Charges

Fri – Sun: 5.00 pm to midnight $5.00
At all other times $3.00
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
In Singapore cabs are dirt cheap, you don't need to go UBER!!
I'm not sure if most people who hail an Uber do so cos it's cheaper than a normal taxi.

It sometimes is the only way for one to get a ride.

And no, taxis in Singapore are not dirt cheap if you've been to other cities in Asia.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Just back from my 3rd trip to Singapore in the past few months.

I used Uber for all my rides there. I did use Blacklane for going from the airport to the hotel, at my 1am arrival time.

I experienced surge pricing only a few times while there, at around 8:30am in the morning. what I did was just keep refreshing the screen, and each time, within 5-10 minutes, the normal pricing came back up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.