Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Pan Pacific (Marina) vs Marriott Singapore (Orchard)

Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileagplus

Have a week long trip to SIN coming up on Nov. I have narrowed down lodging options to Pan Pacific (Marina) and Marriott Singapore (Orchard). I have GHA Platinum status and Marriott gold. For those frequenting this area any recommendations for which hotel to go for? This is a part family tip with wife and 2 year old. The rates are coming out exactly the same with daily rate + breakfast.

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by navendu99
Have a week long trip to SIN coming up on Nov. I have narrowed down lodging options to Pan Pacific (Marina) and Marriott Singapore (Orchard). I have GHA Platinum status and Marriott gold. For those frequenting this area any recommendations for which hotel to go for? This is a part family tip with wife and 2 year old. The rates are coming out exactly the same with daily rate + breakfast.

Thanks
I have not been inside rooms of either hotels but judging from the interior/decor/amenities Pan Pacific is way better.

Marriott is in the middle of the busiest street in the city - I personally would avoid it if quietness is one of requirements. Regardless of the place you decide to stay ask them to give you highest floor.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:34 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Do also note that both hotels just went through a complete refurbishment; pan pacific end of 2012, marriott beginning of 2013). You can checkout the photos in Tripadvisor.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:21 am

Marriott is more convenient as the Orchard mrt subway is right across the street.

Quite a distance to walk for Pan pacific, unless u plan to use taxis the whole time.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:07 am

Location should be the biggest consideration. If you like the bustle of a shopping street, then Orchard's the way to go. But if you want to do sightseeing, Pan Pacific is walking distance to the Parliament building, Marina Bay Sands, Esplanade (Durian building).
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileagplus
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought much difference in location initially. Probably leaning towards Pan Pacific now.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:27 am

Just to add an up to date opinion on the Pan Pacific Singapore, I have just had 3 nights there in a Pacific Club room.

The rooms are very nice, modern, well laid out with plenty of power points.

The club is excellent, and a marked upgrade from prior to the renovations. It is now on the top floor with a 360 vision of the city. Excellent service and food/drink selection with real (i.e. French/from the region) Champagne.

If I wasn't HH Diamond (Conrad next door) it would take at least half my SIN stays, but I will settle with only a few nights next year.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Cynicor
Just to add an up to date opinion on the Pan Pacific Singapore, I have just had 3 nights there in a Pacific Club room.

The rooms are very nice, modern, well laid out with plenty of power points.

The club is excellent, and a marked upgrade from prior to the renovations. It is now on the top floor with a 360 vision of the city. Excellent service and food/drink selection with real (i.e. French/from the region) Champagne.

If I wasn't HH Diamond (Conrad next door) it would take at least half my SIN stays, but I will settle with only a few nights next year.
I agree with this. The Pan Pacific Singapore is an excellent property. The prices are quite expensive on the website but travel agents can get a much better rate. Very nice rooms (check out the Habour Studio) and very good service.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:28 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I have not been into both hotel post refurbishment. But I have been to Marriott and some rooms are quite small as the building has octagonal shape. Yes, Marriott has just completed the refubishment and even the lounge looks fresh now.

I stayed in Pan Pacific long time ago and the room is bigger. But again this is before the refurbishment but I do not think room size will change.

If you like more happening place, Marriott is the better choice as it is in the center of Orchard Road. While Pan Pacific is not really out of way also, it is more on the quitter side of the city and it is well connected to Marina Square shopping center and if you lucky you may get a good view from the building.

Like SKYravefever said, it boilds down on your preference. I think both are good hotel. Since you will be in Singapore for a week, why don't you split the stays? Perhaps later you can give us your view on which one is better?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:11 am

Just stayed at the Pan Pacific Singapore lately in a Skyline Suite and the stay was amazing!

Really like the refurbished rooms!

Full Review: http://www.theshutterwhale.com/blog/...-skyline-suite

Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
markcwj, the photos look great!!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by nsolitude
markcwj, the photos look great!!
Thank you!! I think this hotel isn't getting enough attention from the American market in particular. I tend to realise that the Pan Pacific seems to draw in a more Asian crowd.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by navendu99
I have GHA Platinum status and Marriott gold.
Does that give you access to the lounge at Pan Pacific? Overall Orchard Road has historically been the "main street" in Singapore, but in recent years things have spread out more and the heart of the city seems to have moved more eastwards (Scotts Road's fall in significance has also been a factor).

The Pan Pacific will surely be a good choice and even the design of the hotel, the lobby area, etc., is on a different level. The hotel is also connected to a shopping mall (Marina Square) which is convenient.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by aster
Does that give you access to the lounge at Pan Pacific? Overall Orchard Road has historically been the "main street" in Singapore, but in recent years things have spread out more and the heart of the city seems to have moved more eastwards (Scotts Road's fall in significance has also been a factor).

The Pan Pacific will surely be a good choice and even the design of the hotel, the lobby area, etc., is on a different level. The hotel is also connected to a shopping mall (Marina Square) which is convenient.

The GHA Platinum will not give you lounge access. I've gotten a level upgrade as a GHA Platinum during my stays there. I have stayed in the hotel at least five times in the last six months and have gotten an upgrade always.

If you do have a Local Experience Award though, be sure to redeem it for club access. It's probably great value too! I remember it costs approximately S$150-180 for club access so redeeming a local experience award will be good.

This is a short review to the Harbour Studio which I personally recommend http://www.theshutterwhale.com/blog/...ific-singapore
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by markcwj
The GHA Platinum will not give you lounge access.
That's one of the reasons why I decided to go for status with Swissotel (same hotel group as Fairmont). Once you get even the mid-tier level you always get lounge access+breakfast+internet regardless of rate or type of room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.