Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best East Coast to SIN Economy Flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Best East Coast to SIN Economy Flight

Next Winter I will be flying to a conference in Singapore for 5 days. The organizers let me buy my own ticket and get reimbursed, and I plan to use miles to pay for my partner to come with me.

I have Silver United status and Gold AA status. Which airlines would be best for an east coast USA to SIN flight in economy? I am a bit wary of flying Star Alliance outside of United itself, because I can't get preferred seating with Star Alliance Silver (or much of anything for that matter). For the long haul to wherever I am connecting I definitely want to choose my seats.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Smile

Best to state which city you'll be departing from.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Best to state which city you'll be departing from.
Most convenient would be Boston but could do NYC area if it made a difference.

Last edited by jkroncke; Aug 17, 2014 at 12:39 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
If Ex-JFK, looks like CA/UA/NH all flies this route with similar pricing. Winter season I would assume is the low peak period?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
You could also check out BR -- I believe they have premium economy on the route and would transit in TPE from JFK.

Another choice, if you are originating in BOS, is to transit in IAD or ORD. Both NH and UA offer service from those cities and you could fly UA from BOS to either (unlike JFK). You can also try LH or UA from EWR, if you want to stay on UA for your domestic leg.

No *A one-stop travel from BOS-SIN, but EK now offers one-stop flights BOS-DXB-SIN if you are interested in limiting your travel time. That's likely the quickest trip between the two cities.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:18 am

I think JAL flies from Boston to Narita and then to Singapore.
They use the new 787 between BOS and NRT.

The transit in NRT might be long but it would be a nice layover.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:18 am

For a one-stop service from BOS,

If travelling One World, you can consider JAL which was suggested earlier and also BA. BA will fly the new A380 for LHR-SIN (only 3 flights a week) from October onwards.

If taking *A, you can consider Swiss, Lufthansa.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Hint - avoid UA at all costs.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by crazycrab955
No *A one-stop travel from BOS-SIN, but EK now offers one-stop flights BOS-DXB-SIN if you are interested in limiting your travel time. That's likely the quickest trip between the two cities.
Correcting myself -- there is no *easy* one-stop service. LH and LX both do it in one stop but if I recall have very long layovers.

The issue with JL is also a long layover at NRT, as well as unbearably small pitch in Economy. I believe only EK has convenient timings in terms of reducing layover at the transit airport.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by crazycrab955
Correcting myself -- there is no *easy* one-stop service. LH and LX both do it in one stop but if I recall have very long layovers.

The issue with JL is also a long layover at NRT, as well as unbearably small pitch in Economy. I believe only EK has convenient timings in terms of reducing layover at the transit airport.
BA probably has the best timings for the OT for a BOS-SIN one stop service. Take the day flight from BOS to arrive in the early evening to catch BA15 departing 2135h to SIN.

You're right about LH and LX having long layovers as the trans-Atlantic sector usually arrive in the morning... However if connecting to an SQ flight is an available option, then this is def an option for the OT to consider as SQ345 and SQ25 both depart late morning/early afternoon for SIN.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for this information!

The price of the trip within the economy fare range doesn't matter for me, and longer layovers are not bad as I have both broad lounge access and friends in most of the layover cities.

If JAL has small pitch, it is an issue for me as I am fairly tall. So I was mainly thinking about comfort. So any standouts here besides the newer planes mentioned?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Does a stopover come into play (even if you have to cover the hotel cost on your end)? This way you could add a mini-trip to Tokyo (or Honolulu perhaps) as part of this trip since you will have the flight costs reimbursed anyway.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
Does a stopover come into play (even if you have to cover the hotel cost on your end)? This way you could add a mini-trip to Tokyo (or Honolulu perhaps) as part of this trip since you will have the flight costs reimbursed anyway.
You know aster, that is a great suggestion! I don't have as much time on my way to Singapore, but I have time on the way out. I've learned a lot from flyertalk about building more complex itineraries and this will be a good chance to try it out. Thanks again!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
TK via IST arrives at 4pm and departs at 12:40 am (~9 hours transit) gives you enough time to go into the city and have a nice meal and some entertainment before another flight.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
JFK-HKG-SIN via CX is my preferred choice. If you can be reimbursed for PY that would be a nice routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.