Best Dim Sum Restaurants In Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Dim Sum Restaurants In Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
Other recommendation is Swee Choon Tim Sum in Jalan Besar. Cheap and cheerful, but excellent food, quick service and guaranteed queue.

Open until 6am as well:
http://www.sweechoon.com/en/location.htm
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I'd recommend the Ritz Carlton but the last time I was there the menu was a bit different (not sure if this was just a special occasion menu).

Personally I have been impressed by the dim sum at Szechuan Court (Fairmont/Swissotel). Here's the weekday dim sum list (they have separate menus for other dishes): http://www.fairmont.com/singapore/pd...lights-apr-14/
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
I would recommend Man Fu Yuan @ Intercontinental Hotel. Dimsum is good, authentic, service is impeccable and the ala carte dishes are good too. Only downside is the price.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by robyng
Very nice review and pictures . Our stomachs are fully booked for our one weekend in Singapore. Any suggestions for during the week? Robyn
Hey Robyn, I hope it isn't too late but there's also a Weekday Dim Sum Buffet at the Pan Pacific Singapore with a slightly different menu (and a slightly cheaper price tag too)! Otherwise, check out Swee Choon too - http://www.sweechoon.com/
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:35 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

No - not too late. Our trip isn't until late September. Things are pretty quiet where I live in August (it's the worst of the summer) - so I'm trying to get some information about our trip now. And - even after our trip - I'm sure that other people will be interested in the recommendations in this thread . Robyn
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:32 pm

Dim sum

Yes we are there in Feb but am looking to plan our few days before a cruise as we get in very late at night I want our first day planned.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by robyng
No - not too late. Our trip isn't until late September. Things are pretty quiet where I live in August (it's the worst of the summer) - so I'm trying to get some information about our trip now. And - even after our trip - I'm sure that other people will be interested in the recommendations in this thread . Robyn
Also, if you're interested to try out Tim Ho Wan (presumably a Michelin Star Dim Sum restaurant), there are currently four locations - http://www.timhowan.com/locate-us/

My honest opinion though? Too highly raved about and overrated. It's good but I do not personally think it's worth the long wait. That being said, one man's meat is another man's poison!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by markcwj
Also, if you're interested to try out Tim Ho Wan (presumably a Michelin Star Dim Sum restaurant), there are currently four locations - http://www.timhowan.com/locate-us/

My honest opinion though? Too highly raved about and overrated. It's good but I do not personally think it's worth the long wait. That being said, one man's meat is another man's poison!
Agreed on the overrated part, however the waiting is much reduced if you go to one of the more outlying outlets. I only had to wait 15 mins at Toa Payoh and that was on a Sunday.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by markcwj

Interesting, because their dim sum taste exactly like the ones at Luk Yu restaurant at Chinatown Point. Seems too much of a coincidence...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by aster
Interesting, because their dim sum taste exactly like the ones at Luk Yu restaurant at Chinatown Point. Seems too much of a coincidence...
Same Sifu or Academy?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:31 pm

As in same same. There must be some ownership or "production-line" correlation there.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Went to this thread from the Chilli crab thread, and since I enjoy dim sum on the weekends, I figured I would provide some inputs. Back when I used to live in Singapore, I enjoy Hua Ting in Orchard Hotel, though nowadays, I would vote for Crystal Jade Golden Palace in Paragon, Orchard Road. I know Crystal Jade is a chain but they are very different and the one in Paragon is special and has won a Michelin star. Some 5-star hotels also have weekend dim sum brunches with champagne where guests can order unlimited dim sum and they can be useful if you want to try everything. Otherwise most reputable Chinese restaurants should have relatively good dim sum.

Another thing to note when eating dim sum is that there are the classic dishes like BBQ pork bun (Char Siew Pau), Steamed shrimp dumplings (Ha Gau), Pork dumplings (Siew Mai), Chicken's Leg in Black Bean Sauce (Feng Zhau), Steamed pork ribs (Pai Kut), Glutinous rice with chicken (Lo Mai Kai), Radish/carrot cake (Lo Bo Gau), Rice roll filled with shrimp/BBQ pork/fried cruellers (Chee chong fun) etc. For authentic taste of these dishes probably the traditional Cantonese restaurants in Guangdong does it better. And as noted by someone Singaporean Chinese are not from Guangdong only, plenty are from Fujian, so there are more modern interpretations of dim sum which are basically like tapas plates. And furthermore one restaurant might do a particular dish really well but another one might be better at something else so it really depends on a particular dish. Some of the modern interpretations found in Singapore are Pan-fried radish cake with XO sauce, BBQ pork in pastry, pastry filled with sweet items like mango and chicken, steamed abalone dumplings etc.

Amongst those I list as my favourite dim sum restaurants, they probably serve a good variation or special dish that I enjoy and do several items well. Of course, there are cheap dim sum that people could enjoy in food courts, since frozen dumplings are even available in supermarkets. So I figured the thread starter is looking for more special dim sum where the chef shows creativity and art in their dishes. As a side note, Singapore has one of the best places to have dim sum outside of Greater China. The other place being Vancouver which has a combination of fresh seafood (essential in many dim sum) and a large HK immigrant population. My best dim sum place in the world, though, is at The 8 Restaurant in the Grand Lisboa at Macau.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.