Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Location, Location, Location!

Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Specific location recommendation required for a 3 night stay in Singapore where I can walk out of my hotel reception any time of the day or night and be amongst tourists and locals alike without the need to jump in a taxi or MRT. My preference would be for restaurants, cafes, dessert places to be on my door step. Of course I do and will plan to venture further than that but it's also nice to be at the centre if at all possible especially since we are travelling with two young children and therefore if I feel like taking a walk, there is some life and things going on as I just take a walk around the block at 11pm. We will be staying over a weekend so that should be possible I hope..I'm a foodie as well and so to the extent that there are great street food places around that would be an added bonus albeit I don't mind travelling for the right food/dishes..

On a previous trip to Singapore (15 years ago!), we stayed at the Marriott on Orchard Rd and I remember that being well located but I'm not sure if that was a bit too shopping orientated rather than restaurant/cafe culture which would be the preference. I do remember there being a Haagan Dazs cafe right outside the hotel which was great...

This time around we will stay at a 5 star hotel fortunately - thinking Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, Fullerton Bay, Shangri La - but on a quick check, none of these seem to fit my location bill exactly. I have also heard about the new Sofitel (mixed reviews on service) and the Park Royal on Pickering but don;t know how these score on location. I'm also conscious that we didn't really do the Marina area last time and so don't know if I'm missing out or whether I should give that area a go this time around and whether it also fits my bill...

Would love some specific responses to my query firstly focused on the location - (note I don't necessarily want bars and pubs outside the door but more cafes, restaurants and people watching opportunities).

Once I've pinpointed location, I can think about which luxury 5 star hotels to marry with that.

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:00 am

Orchard Rd is the obvious choice if you want both a five-star hotel and "restaurant/cafe culture" on your doorstep; sure, it's touristy, and not quite 24h, but close enough. Four Seasons might thus fit the bill, although it's ever so slightly on the 'wrong' side of Orchard Rd.

Another option might be the Fullerton or Fullerton Bay. While the CBD is pretty dead at night, you can just walk up the river through Boat Quay, Clarke Quay, Robertson Quay etc for lots of nightlife and eating options; as a rule of thumb, the quayside joints are for the tourists and one street back is for the locals. Parkroyal on Pickering is in the same general area, and close to Chinatown as well, which also never sleeps (roadside frog porridge at 3 AM, anyone?).

I find the Marina district a bit dull, although there are more shopping malls than you shake a stick at with tons of eating options.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:17 am

I would say Clarke Quay. Sorry to Orchard, but Clarke nowadays is better.

Park Regis is my favourite hotel in this area, but you've to cross the Merchant road (so it's like 3min walk to Clarke itself) - the Swissotel (Merchant Court) is good too, and the Novotel on the opposite site isn't bad either.

Location wise, Swissotel is the best of those three, but all of them can't be faulted. Furama is also not far away, and not bad location either. In fact, there are about 10 hotels close enough to CQ to walk that it's hard to choose.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I still opt for Orchard Road, but I admit that is partly out of habit (40 years worth) but also because there are more options within walking distance than are anywhere else. I personally am particle to the St. Regis, which has a sumptuous breakfast (but all the good hotels do) and also free parking. Most people don;t care about free parking and you might not. I drive in Singapore because I also frequent some harder to access areas. both residential and business.

A 10 minute walk gets you to Dempsey for Long Beach, as well as all the variety of Orchard Road itself.

I do agree with other posters on other choices, but none of them have equivalent ease of countless options as does Orchard Road.

Perhaps others may disagree but I have not yet found a five star hotel in Singapore that was not to my liking. Their styles differ, to be sure, but I think you probably know the styles without us commenting. If yours is purely touristic there is always raffles, which still is quite glorious if you can be in the most traditional parts. I stay there every couple of years for a day or two when I have a desire to emulate colonial style. Even though I prefer Orchard Road variety every other five star location still has considerable options within walking distance IME.

So, I'd argue the choice depends on your stylistic, shopping and touristic preferences rather than anything different.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:47 am
Original Poster

It's interesting that one of the takes on the Marina is that it's dull - without ever having been there that was my concern ie that it was a bit expat focused and not "real". I say that but on the basis of other advice that I've had and my description of what I want some have said that I should focus my search on the areas of City hall, Bugis and the Marina. The Fairmont and Swissotel keep being mentioned but as far as hotels go they've been completely dismissed as true luxury options in the luxury hotels forum as has the Intercontinental (all which I can understand). I might have to compromise on the standard of hotel for location I think apart from if I head to the Fullerton Bay which gives me a bit of both it seems?

I am being specifically particular on this trip because I have limited time in Singapore and want to make the most of it. Yes I can get a cab/MRT anywhere and I will but I want to take in the best of/most authentic of Singapore whilst I'm there without having to do much more than maybe cross a road.

Thanks for your advice so far - keep it coming! And if you know of any good maps which give me a sense of where all these places you are suggesting are, that would be great.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by idaud

I am being specifically particular on this trip because I have limited time in Singapore and want to make the most of it. Yes I can get a cab/MRT anywhere and I will but I want to take in the best of/most authentic of Singapore whilst I'm there without having to do much more than maybe cross a road.
Most authentic would be a hotel/hostel in Chinatown, or somewhere outside of the central area

Definitely not a 5*/luxury hotel.

Actually, in Singapore I often stay in 3*/4* boutique hotels. Sure, small rooms, but I enjoy that much more, with a hawker just round the corner.

And it's clean and safe anywhere in Singapore. Most 4* hotels do have a decent pool too, if that's important. Especially when room size isn't so important for you, a nice Boutique hotel might offer you a more authentic Singapore experience than an anonymous 5*. Sure a great breakfast spread is nice, but it's not as authentic as a Hawker breakfast
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:12 am
uk1
Suspended

I think you are on the wrong track. But of course it is your call!

In my view you need to rethink your taxi limitation. It is making your choice of hotels and location to me odd.

Taxis are almost free, taxi drivers are almost all honest and easy, and everything is a few minutes away in a taxi. This limitation you specify is making your life more difficult than it need be. I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel on Orchard or anywhere simply to avoid taxis. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Just suggest you pause and re-think .......

If not then Intercontinetal at Bugis. So much close by 24 hours per day.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Yurop - what you say makes complete sense...except that I'm travelling with the family and specifically two children who I want to keep entertained. Typically the 5 star resorts have the facilities/staff to keep them occupied with kids clubs etc whereas some of your suggestions whilst great for me, won't give us that option..

uk1 - pls read the full post - I don't have a taxi limitation - I'll be using them plenty! BUT I want the option to walk around the block from the hotel and have most things that I need around me for a quick evening stroll. Does that make sense?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
The Intercontinental meets all your needs. By no means a luxury hotel, but perfectly OK.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:43 pm

I second Intercontinental Hotel.

It's in a heritage rich area with shopping, mrt, local hawker food around.
Bugis is right next to it as well with plenty of food courts and a nearby hawker center(which u cant really find in Orchard) within walking distance.

Carlton Hotel is just next to the IC as well but not 5 star.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:24 am

It's interesting that one of the takes on the Marina is that it's dull - without ever having been there that was my concern ie that it was a bit expat focused and not "real".
It's not "expat focused" at all, it's just a bunch of hotels glued together with nondescript shopping malls. Admittedly that description applies to a fair chunk of central Singapore, but still, I'm drawing a blank at what to do and where to eat in the Marina area. Maybe Makansutra Hawkers Bay? Touristy, somewhat overpriced, but the views are hard to beat.

The Fairmont and Swissotel keep being mentioned but as far as hotels go they've been completely dismissed as true luxury options in the luxury hotels forum as has the Intercontinental (all which I can understand).
You've got a pretty darn high threshold of "true" luxury if that's the case. I'll add my own +1 to the pile of recommendations for the Intercontinental, it just might tick all the boxes for you: ridiculous amounts of 'local' eating and shopping, easy access, and not in a tourist (or expat) ghetto.

Thanks for your advice so far - keep it coming! And if you know of any good maps which give me a sense of where all these places you are suggesting are, that would be great.
Try Google Maps
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

I might check out the Naumi hotel - any views on this?

It's right around the corner from the Intercon apparently and so presumably benefits from a great location but looks like it has a more boutiquey feel - might just tick the box.

Wan1dap, Hawaiio, jpatokal - does that sound like a plan? You all seem confident that the location fits my bill and your descriptions sound promising - ie mixture of locals and tourists, "local" food as well as malls close by etc. Plenty of street side action/ people traffic etc as I walk out of the hotel right? Are there cafes etc outside the malls as well or just in them?

Thanks everyone - all these specific questions WILL make my choice of location a better one I am sure - just want to get the most out of my trip and hate it when following the status quo ends up in a lesser experience.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:34 am

Naumi is in a nice location, lots of local eateries around.
It was recently renovated and does seem to have a nice small boutique feel to it.

There are "coffee shops" all over the area, which are small restaurants that basically sell local food and not really a western coffeeshop.
Lots of locals in the area and Bugis is nearby.

Naumi would be a good choice!

Raffles Hotel is also around the corner from Naumi, in the general vicinity.
Different feel though, more of a colonial style than modern.

It's right around the corner from the Intercon apparently and so presumably benefits from a great location but looks like it has a more boutiquey feel - might just tick the box.

Wan1dap, Hawaiio, jpatokal - does that sound like a plan? You all seem confident that the location fits my bill and your descriptions sound promising - ie mixture of locals and tourists, "local" food as well as malls close by etc. Plenty of street side action/ people traffic etc as I walk out of the hotel right? Are there cafes etc outside the malls as well or just in them?

Thanks everyone - all these specific questions WILL make my choice of location a better one I am sure - just want to get the most out of my trip and hate it when following the status quo ends up in a lesser experience.

Last edited by HawaiiO; Jul 9, 2014 at 9:40 am
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: most of them
I stayed at the Parkroyal on Pickering last Nov and thought the location was one of the best things about it. Easy walk to Marina Bay or the river. MRT right around the corner for when you want to go a little further or prefer not to be drenched from walking. Chinatown area is right there.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others

I stayed in the Naumi last year and loved it. It definitely has a 'boutiquey' feel and is very well located. I'd suspect children might be more comfortable in the Raffles because there is so much one area to explore there, but I do not know your children. In that area three are lots of odd places to find.

If you're inclined towards Naumi style you might take a look at Naumi Liora in Chinatown. It is far more atmospheric that the other ones on your list, and a blast to be around. Friends stay there every time they go to Singapore and I've been there with them. This is a four star but it is an unforgettable experience if you've willingness to stay away from 'antiseptic Singapore'.

http://www.naumiliora.com/?trkid=V1A...sYoaAhsi8P8HAQ

Despite my earlier comments about orchard Road, I have stayed all over Singapore and frankly find almost anywhere quite agreeable. Surprises come when you're out of the ordinary, though, thus I think of the Liora.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.