Which hotel in Singapore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel in Singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by oh_lol
Hi all, trying to find a hotel in the Chinatown area, but it has to be nice.
I've found so far, Scarlet Hotel, Amoy Hotel and Hotel Mono. Any other recommendations/
Parkroyal on Pickering. It's on the outskirts of Chinatown.

Amoy is closer to the business district than to Chinatown.

Scarlet Hotel is at the other end of Chinatown, very close to Maxwell, if you are keen on local food.

Naumi Liora on Bukit Pasoh Road is also worth considering.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by SQ319
Westin and SO are within the business district. It would be quite dead over the weekends. SO is better located within the CBD than the Westin for access to the MRT. However, Westin has better views than the SO which is in a low rise heritage building.

Parkroyal Pickering is very close to Chinatown. Service level however may not be as good as the Westin or SO.

What are your priorities for your trip? Do you have any status? This will definitely influence your choice of hotel.
I don't have any hotel status and have stayed at FBH and Shangri La in the past, priorities are good hard product, service, breakfast and located near the Marina Area. The area at MO or RC doesn't appeal and prefer the Chinatown/Business area close to Lau Pa Sat etc. Also would like a mid price option rather than a splurge, hence The Westin and SO being on the list.

The base rooms in SO look tiny but quite like the design elements, conversion of a heritage building looks to have been challenging, did it work out?

Last edited by heronb; Oct 23, 2017 at 12:03 pm
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Our taxi driver took us to the older Oasia first (1am, we were exhausted from hours of flying and it was our first trip to Singapore....Figured it out and he found the right place soon enough....)

Oasia atop Novena MRT has an incredible connection. The hallway elevator brings you straight to the station level, and it's no more than 50 steps from there to the subway platform. Very handy for Singapore's rainy days, which are often.

Modern rooms with firm but comfy beds, if a bit small. The view of the forest and urban skyline from the high-floor executive lounge is quite nice.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by heronb
I don't have any hotel status and have stayed at FBH and Shangri La in the past, priorities are good hard product, service, breakfast and located near the Marina Area. The area at MO or RC doesn't appeal and prefer the Chinatown/Business area close to Lau Pa Sat etc. Also would like a mid price option rather than a splurge, hence The Westin and SO being on the list.

The base rooms in SO look tiny but quite like the design elements, conversion of a heritage building looks to have been challenging, did it work out?
How about the Sofitel at Tanjong Pagar Centre? It just opened a couple of weeks ago, and is very close to Maxwell Hawker Centrewhich is a zillion times better than Lau Pa Sat.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Maybe I should stick to the Budget Travel thread, but paying more the AU$200/night for a hotel room would seriously restrict the amount of $$ I would have available for airline tickets.

How about some recommendations in the AU$100-150 range. I am familiar with what is offered sub-AU$100........ (large closets)

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Maybe I should stick to the Budget Travel thread, but paying more the AU$200/night for a hotel room would seriously restrict the amount of $$ I would have available for airline tickets.

How about some recommendations in the AU$100-150 range. I am familiar with what is offered sub-AU$100........ (large closets)

Happy wandering
Fred
AU$100-150 range - depeending on the dates you are travelling, sometimes you can get the Riverside hotels for around AUD150 (Furama Riverfront, Miramar, Copthorne Kings, Holiday Inn Atrium, Four Points). Alternatively, try the Little India Hotels - Parkroyal Kitchener, Park Hotel Farrer Park, Hilton Garden Inn, Village Hotel Albert Court and Village Hotel Bugis.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by wandering_fred

Happy wandering
Fred
Lloyd's Inn is a boutique hotel that sometimes goes for that rate. I stayed there for two nights last year and enjoyed it. Not the most convenient location (off Orchard and a walk to the nearest MRT station) but Uber is dirt cheap in Singapore.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Parkroyal on Pickering. It's on the outskirts of Chinatown.

Amoy is closer to the business district than to Chinatown.

Scarlet Hotel is at the other end of Chinatown, very close to Maxwell, if you are keen on local food.

Naumi Liora on Bukit Pasoh Road is also worth considering.
I stayed in the Amoy a few months ago. Room was clean, and the bed was great. Location is excellent (across the street from MRT station). Housekeeping left a handwritten note on the pillow every morning, which was a nice gesture.

My only gripe is the shower floor was a set of wood boards over a drain, and didn't feel particularly solid. The floorboards warped when you stepped on them.

Honestly though, for what I paid, I think I could have booked Fullerton/Fullerton Bay/Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton for another $40-50 US a night, so ... something to take into consideration.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Lloyd's Inn is a boutique hotel that sometimes goes for that rate. I stayed there for two nights last year and enjoyed it. Not the most convenient location (off Orchard and a walk to the nearest MRT station) but Uber is dirt cheap in Singapore.
Is Uber better for getting around than the MRT?

I used Uber a couple of times in HK and even the regular cars were BMWs and Benzes.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We visited Singapore last fall for 6 days (mostly tourism, pre-cruise). We used the MRT most of the time, (I love public transportation ;-) but Uber for a couple of instances where it made sense - for instance, we wanted to walk through the Botanical gardens so had the Uber drop us off on one side and walked through to the other side where the MRT station is and left from there.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Is Uber better for getting around than the MRT?

I used Uber a couple of times in HK and even the regular cars were BMWs and Benzes.
No you won't get BMWs and Merc for every Uber, but they are decent clean relatively new sedans.

Uber is useful when your destination is not within a short walking distance of the MRT/bus stop.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
No you won't get BMWs and Merc for every Uber, but they are decent clean relatively new sedans.

Uber is useful when your destination is not within a short walking distance of the MRT/bus stop.
What he said. Usually better to take Uber if the stops aren't convenient, or you need to change lines to save time.
It's also sometimes cheaper to take Uber if there's a group of you.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:29 pm

And if you use UberPool, you might enjoy some extra side-trips as well.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
+1 for the Fairmont/Swissotel recommendation. I've stayed at both and thought they were great. Very convenient to City Hall MRT and the huge shopping mall attached.
I agree.

For Chinatown, there's a boutique hotel in Starwood as a Design Hotel, IIRC the Majestic. I haven't stayed there and most rooms are reportedly small, but it sounds like a reliable choice for the location. I've noticed a couple other boutique hotels in the Chinatown area of Singapore that look good from the outside, but I don't remember names or addresses.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree.

For Chinatown, there's a boutique hotel in Starwood as a Design Hotel, IIRC the Majestic. I haven't stayed there and most rooms are reportedly small, but it sounds like a reliable choice for the location. I've noticed a couple other boutique hotels in the Chinatown area of Singapore that look good from the outside, but I don't remember names or addresses.
New Majestic is currently closed for renovations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.