Which hotel in Singapore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel in Singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by uk1
My wife would divorce me if I sucked a hookah.
Maybe you could take a walk on the wild side and try sucking one together
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:59 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by jpatokal
As far as I understand, Singapore's liquor licensing laws don't allow serving alcohol in smoking premises, so cigar lounges now require you to go into a separate airport-style glass cubicle and/or outdoor area to smoke your cigars....
The aptly named Rooftop Bar at the Fullerton hotel sells Cuban cigars which you can smoke anywhere in the bar (it is all open-air, being the top of a former lighthouse). The Italian restaurant below also has Cuban cigars on display but I didn't smoke there (much nicer on the rooftop). The also make great mojitos appropriately enough (something rare in Singapore where mojitos tend to be watered down).
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
The aptly named Rooftop Bar at the Fullerton hotel sells Cuban cigars which you can smoke anywhere in the bar (it is all open-air, being the top of a former lighthouse). The Italian restaurant below also has Cuban cigars on display but I didn't smoke there (much nicer on the rooftop). The also make great mojitos appropriately enough (something rare in Singapore where mojitos tend to be watered down).
I'll be there again in 2 weeks, I'll be sure to check out this rooftop bar. thanks for the tip!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:41 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Originally Posted by uk1
You may have more luck than me. Even with a suite with a garden I was told I couldn't smoke when I just wanted a brandy and espresso and cigar and so I asked. "No".
As far as I understand, Singapore's liquor licensing laws don't allow serving alcohol in smoking premises, so cigar lounges now require you to go into a separate airport-style glass cubicle and/or outdoor area to smoke your cigars.

However, if you want something a little more Singaporean(*), head over to the aptly named Arab St and try any of a number of shisha (hookah) joints. No alcohol is served, but with a bubbly expertly loaded with Al-Fakher Double Apple and a pot of mint tea, you won't miss it.

(*) Originally Middle Eastern, of course, but rather eagerly adopted!
Shisha bars in Arab Street - Now banned. (since end last year).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:41 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
They'll be banning kebabs next.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:01 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by uk1
Don't laugh.. They are planning to ban the sale of alcohol (in convenience stores) from 10:30pm onwards soon
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:07 am
uk1
Suspended

Don't laugh.. They are planning to ban the sale of alcohol (in convenience stores) from 10:30pm onwards soon
I wonder whether this is a follow on from the Little India problem.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:16 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by uk1
Yes, and young adults puking all over the sidewalk and poor residents not being able to sleep, and people being rowdy and then you may end up having a puking, noisy, sleepless riot on your hands.

Reminds me of the chewing gum law. Why did they bring that in? : because the MRT doors couldnt shut properly (trains couldnt leave) as people were sticking chewing gum between the doors.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:29 pm
uk1
Suspended

Yes, and young adults puking all over the sidewalk and poor residents not being able to sleep, and people being rowdy and then you may end up having a puking, noisy, sleepless riot on your hands.

Reminds me of the chewing gum law. Why did they bring that in? : because the MRT doors couldnt shut properly (trains couldnt leave) as people were sticking chewing gum between the doors.
The terrible thing is that this degree of pickyness is exactly what makes Singapore delightful for some visitors.

Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by uk1
No its not. In Little India the ban is already in place.

Its more the problems at the Clarke Quay area and around Zouk after midnight were causing the swift. People buying cheap liquor at convience stores and loitering around at Clarke Quay causing quite some problems. Violent fights, robberies, attack on cabbies, littering, noise are now pretty common on weekends.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Is this Singapore-universal, or restricted to a couple of bad-boy establishments?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Is this Singapore-universal, or restricted to a couple of bad-boy establishments?
Apparently universal: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...n/1452290.html

Ban imposed in November 2014, all existing stocks must be consumed by July 31, 2016. Apparently just exorbitant taxation wasn't enough.

And yes, this is quite likely to kneecap Arab St pretty badly: http://theurbanwire.com/2014/12/arab-streets-last-puff/

Owners of shisha joints in Arab street said shisha sales account for 60 to 80 per cent of their business.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by uk1

You do realize why the banned it in the first place don't you?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.

Chewing gum ban was enforced even before the first MRT's were running back in 1987. It was because people were dumping gum on the street and sidewalks that the govt got fed up and just banned it.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:20 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by wolf72
Chewing gum ban was enforced even before the first MRT's were running back in 1987. It was because people were dumping gum on the street and sidewalks that the govt got fed up and just banned it.
Doesn't appear to be correct. gilbertaue's version appears to be correct.

Chewing gum ban in Singapore

History

In his memoirs, Lee Kuan Yew recounted that as early as 1983, when he was still serving as Prime Minister, a proposal for the ban was brought up to him by the then Minister for National Development. Chewing gum was causing serious maintenance problems in high-rise public housing flats, with vandals disposing of spent gum in mailboxes, inside keyholes and even on elevator buttons. Chewing gum left on the ground, stairways and pavements in public areas increased the cost of cleaning and damaged cleaning equipment. Gum stuck on the seats of public buses was also considered a problem. However, Lee thought that a ban would be "too drastic" and did not take action.

In 1987, the S$5 billion metro system, the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT), started running. It was then the largest public project ever implemented in Singapore, and expectations were high. One of the champions of the project, Ong Teng Cheong, who later became the first democratically-elected President, declared,"… the MRT will usher in a new phase in Singapore's development and bring about a better life for all of us."

It was then reported that vandals had begun sticking chewing gum on the door sensors of MRT trains, preventing doors from functioning properly and causing disruption to train services. Such incidents were rare but costly and culprits were difficult to apprehend. In January 1992, Goh Chok Tong, who had just taken over as Prime Minister, decided on a ban. The restriction on the distribution of chewing gum was enacted in Singapore Statute Chapter 57, the Control of Manufacture Act, which also governs the restriction of alcohol and tobacco.

Immediate results of ban

After the ban was announced, the import of chewing gum was immediately halted. However, a reasonable transition period was given to allow shops to clear their existing stocks. After that, the sale of chewing gum was completely terminated.

When first introduced, the ban caused much controversy and some open defiance. Some took the trouble of travelling to neighbouring Johor Bahru, Malaysia, to purchase chewing gum. Offenders were publicly "named and shamed" by the government, to serve as a deterrent to other would-be smugglers. No black market for chewing gum in Singapore ever emerged, though some Singaporeans occasionally still manage to smuggle some chewing gum from Johor Bahru for their own consumption. The ban has been partially lifted, as some types of gum are allowable, such as gum chewed for dental health. However, the government refuses to completely lift the ban for the risk of gum littering again.

International attention

In the mid 1990s, Singapore's laws began to receive international press coverage. For example, the U.S. media paid great attention to the case of Michael P. Fay, an American teenager sentenced in 1994 to caning in Singapore for vandalism (for using spray paint, not chewing gum.) They also drew attention to some of Singapore's other laws, including the "mandatory flushing of public toilets" rule. Confused reporting about these issues has led to worldwide propagation of the myth that the use or importation of chewing gum is itself punishable with caning. In fact, this has never been a caning offence, and the only penalties provided under Chapter 57 are fines.

When a BBC reporter suggested that such draconian laws would stifle the people's creativity, Lee Kuan Yew retorted: "If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana."

Revision of the Act

U.S. President George W. Bush and Singapore Prime Minister Chok Tong Goh sign a free trade agreement in the White House, 6 May 2003. White House photo by Tina Hager.

In 1999, United States President Bill Clinton and Singapore Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong agreed to initiate talks between the two countries for a bilateral free trade agreement (USS-FTA). The talks later continued under the new administration of President George W. Bush. Details of the closed-door negotiations are unknown, but it became apparent that by the final phase of the negotiation in early 2003, there remained two unrelated issues: the War in Iraq and chewing gum.

The Chicago-based Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company enlisted the help of a Washington, D.C lobbyist and of Illinois Congressman Phil Crane, then-chairman of the United States House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Trade, to get chewing gum on the agenda of the United States-Singapore Free Trade Agreement. This caused a dilemma for the Singapore Government. It recognised the health benefits of certain gums, such as a brand of sugar-free gum that contains calcium lactate to strengthen tooth enamel. Sale of this newly categorised medicinal gum was allowed, provided it was sold by a dentist or pharmacist, who must take down the names of buyers.

Soon, the USS-FTA was signed and the ban was revised. "They were tough," Crane said of the talks. Some found it surprising that Wrigley had fought hard on this battle, given the small size of Singapore's chewing market. But the company said it was worth it. "There's many examples in our history of things that may have not made short-term financial sense but was the right thing to do in a philosophical or long-term sense," said Christopher Perille, Wrigley's senior director of corporate communications

Last edited by uk1; Jan 27, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.