Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel in Singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Originally Posted by robyng
Something doesn't compute here. 48 hours and 1 night. Especially on a honeymoon. Unless you have some unusual arrival/departure circumstances. When do you plan to arrive/depart? Robyn
Arriving early morning by bus from KL, then departing late at night (trying to get the last flight out to BKK) the day after
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:24 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Arriving early morning by bus from KL, then departing late at night (trying to get the last flight out to BKK) the day after
If arrival is truly "early morning" - I'd book 2 nights. For example - we're arriving at 12:10 am - and booking a room that night. Don't want to be out in the street in the middle of the night.

If arriving after the sun is up - well that's your call (I'm too old to get off a plane and then sight see for a whole day before checking into my room/taking a nap/freshening up/etc. but YMMV). Perhaps you can find a hotel with a buy one/get one free or get a discount? Or one with a guaranteed/if available early check-in and/or late checkout? Or get a free night through one of your hotel programs/points?

Good luck with your plans and have fun on your honeymoon . Robyn

P.S. The Hilton has a weekend package with a late departure feature:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/sin.../100048483.htm

It seems to have a pool too and is in your price range. Otherwise - I don't know anything about the hotel (this will be my first trip to Singapore). You might check it out.

Last edited by robyng; Aug 1, 2014 at 6:38 am
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:21 am

Hi Robyng,

I was more thinking along those lines:
-Arrive at 6-7am in Singapore from the night bus, go to the hotel, ask to drop the bags, and sightsee until late afternoon. Back to the hotel to check in and enjoy the facilities, then off to the centre for dinner and drinks.
Upon check out the following morning, request to store the bags until late and take a 8-9 pm flight back to BKK
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:34 am
uk1
Suspended

Hi Robyng,

-Arrive at 6-7am in Singapore from the night bus, go to the hotel, ask to drop the bags, and sightsee until late afternoon. Back to the hotel to check in and enjoy the facilities, then off to the centre for dinner and drinks.
Upon check out the following morning, request to store the bags until late and take a 8-9 pm flight back to BKK
That will work.

Nothing ventured .... nothing gained. Singapore is pretty unique in that hotels are really use to people arriving at strange times throughout the 24 hours and leaving at strange times ... and the majority are very service orientated.

Why not make contact with the hotel in advance and say that you are looking forward to your stay, will be arriving early to drop your bags off, that you have no expectations and no entitlements, but if they did have an early check in for you to freshen up then you'd really appreciate it - but state clearly you do not have any expectations. You never know. It costs them no more really except the charge they could make for an extra night. Don't mention any late check out.

Worth a try?

Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:18 am
In memoriam

Hi Robyng,

That could work for some people. Younger people who have more stamina than I have now. And I presume you're in that category . Hard to believe I once had the energy to hitchhike around Europe for 3 months (40+ years ago). Robyn
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:03 am

Thanks Uk1 and Robyng,

My OH and I are both in our late twenties/early thirties so we might have the stamina to do it indeed!

Another solution to freshen up would be to ask to use the pool and gym facilities only, and get the room keys afterwards at check-in time?
I remember doing that in Paris on a way to a wedding, missed my train so was completely sweaty, asked the Hilton at CDG where I didn't stay if I could just use the pool showers to freshen up and suit up, was granted with no issues at all.

I'm trying to finalise a general planning, but it's quite difficult as there are so many things to do in SE Asia! I think we'll seriously need to consider any career opportunities in the region
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by tomcat007
I'm planning a 3 night stay in August and I'm thinking of the last night at the club room at the Marina Bay Sands. For the other two nights I have a choice between Rafflles, Ritz, Fullerton ( not Fullerton Bay which I hear is pretty good) and the Mandarin Oriental. Has any one stayed at all the hotels above recently and have any suggestions?
Just stayed at MBS. Didnt like it. So impersonal. After MBS stayed for a week at St Regis in Caroline Astor Suite. Highly recommend it. I will never stay at MBS again.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, National Executive, SPG Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
We stayed at MBS for a Club Room. It really depends on what you want out of a hotel -- for us, it was perfectly fine, and found it neither amazing or bad... it was just a solid hotel stay with some nicer amenities like a great view, a very cool pool and the Club benefits which took care of breakfast every morning. The employees were all very polite and professional.

If you're looking for 5 star service, people to remember your name, etc. MBS is not it. But we were more than happy to spend a week there.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Just stayed at MBS. Didnt like it. So impersonal. After MBS stayed for a week at St Regis in Caroline Astor Suite. Highly recommend it. I will never stay at MBS again.
Same here. MBS is a one-off stay, just do your tick and get it over with. The hotel has no ambiance, it's like staying at some conference centre. Plus the location isn't good either, though you could do worse by staying at the Sheraton...
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
I've got a monday -thursday stay in january where I've got one day of work but otherwise going to be a tourist with the gf (we're mid 30s). I've been before and seen a lot but looking to show her around her first city in asia with food as the key over anything else. Being walking distance to cool things is preferable, but also good with long-ish distances. If of any relevance my office is over by arab street.

I'm gold w/ marriott, plat with hyatt, and have poitns with hyatt and starwood, and could transfer points into marriott. Stayed at the conrad last time and enjoyed it but looking to likely use points unless there's an amazing deal - seems better to burn than pay cash.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:30 pm

The Grand Hyatt and Marriott are 2 buildings from each other. For your girlfriend on her first trip to the city, if she likes to shop, she will appreciate the location of both properties close to Orchard Road, and within 5 minutes walk of the MRT station for access to the surrounds.

If you are considering the Starwod properties, there are 4 here - Sheraton, W, Westin and St Regis. Of the 4, I'll strike out Sheraton and W. W is on Sentosa Island, which imo is inconvenient for any tourist. Sheraton is near Orchard, but an old property. St Regis is newish and also approximately 10 minutes from Orchard Road. Westin is on the top floors of an office building within the Central Business District... There's really not much of interest in the CBD area, unless you need to be in the area for work.

You didn't mention IHG, but I would actually recommend the InterContinental for you, as it's within walking distance to Arab Street and the location is great as it's right in the middle of Bugis, with lots to shop and see.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:55 pm
uk1
Suspended

Surprised to read that the BIG hotel is up for sale.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by uk1
Surprised to read that the BIG hotel is up for sale.
The rooms sure are small for a hotel called BIG. Anyhow, thanks for the information! Anyone interested to read up more can check out the following article: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...r/1366512.html
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:59 am

I will have a 2 nights stopover in March 2015 (checking in on Friday morning, checking out on Sunday). My budget is approx €150/night, may stretch to €200.

Any recommendations? I wanted to try St Regis but it's a bit higher....Conrad is a possibility here, but I see that wifi there is an extra charge.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by PoochieLaGrande
I will have a 2 nights stopover in March 2015 (checking in on Friday morning, checking out on Sunday). My budget is approx €150/night, may stretch to €200.

Any recommendations? I wanted to try St Regis but it's a bit higher....Conrad is a possibility here, but I see that wifi there is an extra charge.
Hi PoochieLaGrande,

May I suggest the Pan Pacific Singapore (approx. 200 EUR) if you are looking at a luxury stay? Otherwise, the Hotel Jen's Panorama room (approx 150 EUR) is really nice too! I have reviews of Singapore Hotels on my website (feel free to check them out!) - http://www.theshutterwhale.com/hotels/

If you want something even more affordable, the Sky Room at Lloyd's Inn (located near Orchard Rd) is beautiful (approx 130-140 EUR) - http://www.theshutterwhale.com/blog/...-inn-singapore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.