Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel in Singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: most of them
Just get a Grab car or taxi.

I generally enjoyed my stay at the Park Hotel Farrer Park. Literally right on top of the MRT station which makes it quite convenient if you're using the subway. Nice neighborhood. It's still pretty much brand new. Rooms on the small side. I had a corner room with a somewhat funky layout but a nice view.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: points traveller
Originally Posted by Croptop
Thanks for posting this information. I've got a reservation at the HGI for 3 days in late December prior to a cruise and everyone's comments have been very useful. One slightly off-topic question, if I may. I'm going to need to get myself and some luggage from the HGI to the Marina Bay Cruise Center on a Saturday morning. I travel fairly light so would the MRT be a viable option or is that going to be too much of a haul?
coming from Australia taxis are so cheap in Singapore that for the convenience i'd just grab a taxi (or uber/ grab etc)

apparently the MRT is only about 5 mins walk away so would be an option if you're really counting the pennies but for me the stress vs just having reception call me a cab is so much easier.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Croptop
Thanks for posting this information. I've got a reservation at the HGI for 3 days in late December prior to a cruise and everyone's comments have been very useful. One slightly off-topic question, if I may. I'm going to need to get myself and some luggage from the HGI to the Marina Bay Cruise Center on a Saturday morning. I travel fairly light so would the MRT be a viable option or is that going to be too much of a haul?
Not worth the hassle. You need to change train from the purple line to the red line and the walk between the 2 lines at the interchange is very long. Just get a cab/grab/uber.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Can Grab or Uber pick you up from the terminal at the airport or do you have to walk a distance from the taxi ranks?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:48 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by wco81
Can Grab or Uber pick you up from the terminal at the airport or do you have to walk a distance from the taxi ranks?
Designated pickup spots, essentially another door at the airport. Directions at these links.

https://www.uber.com/en-SG/airports/sin/

https://www.grab.com/sg/blog/driver/...hangi-airport/
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: most of them
I used Grab a couple of weeks ago at T2 and seem to recall just walking out Door 2 and getting picked up there. The weird thing was that my driver seemed to take a long time to get started coming to pick me up. The little icon on the map kept turning around in circles. Don't know if it's hard for them to get out of the lot where they wait or what. So it took a little while longer than expected to get picked up, but the vehicle was a beautifully appointed Toyota minivan with leather seats that appeared brand new (I chose the "premium car" option).
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the links!

I haven't used Grab yet, but have the app. installed. Is it trustworthy enough to put in my credit card?

Would be nice if they support ApplePay like Uber does.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Thanks for the links!

I haven't used Grab yet, but have the app. installed. Is it trustworthy enough to put in my credit card?

Would be nice if they support ApplePay like Uber does.
Yes, even more reliable than Uber. I use both apps interchangably, depending on whichever is cheaper.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:07 pm

Hey all - Hoping for some advice on a two night stopover to start my honeymoon. Looking for a good enough location (easy walk to MRT), the classic MBS/marina/skyline view, and lots of bonus points for a sweet bathtub. We'll be spending most of our time out and about so F&B, pool, facilities, etc. not really a factor. Here's what I've identified so far:

Ritz Carlton Millenia (Deluxe Marina)
Marina Mandarin (Premiere Marina Bay Room)
Swissotel Stamford (Premiere Harbour View)
Mandarin Oriental (Marina Bay View Room)

What I'm concerned about is I'll be booking through the Chase portal, so I assume I'll get the worst room they have in the selected class which makes me hesitant to spend the extra for the RC. Am I way off? Have I missed anything? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by inspace
Hey all - Hoping for some advice on a two night stopover to start my honeymoon. Looking for a good enough location (easy walk to MRT), the classic MBS/marina/skyline view, and lots of bonus points for a sweet bathtub. We'll be spending most of our time out and about so F&B, pool, facilities, etc. not really a factor. Here's what I've identified so far:

What I'm concerned about is I'll be booking through the Chase portal, so I assume I'll get the worst room they have in the selected class which makes me hesitant to spend the extra for the RC. Am I way off? Have I missed anything? Thanks in advance!
You might also look at the Pan Pacific Pacific Harbour Studio rooms. The Pan Pacific is in the same area as the hotels you're listing and you should get the view you're looking for and the bathtubs in those rooms are basically pools, plus club level access. I'm not sure what the relative cost is for the dates you're looking at, but it is my favorite alternative to those hotels in Singapore and one of my favorite rooms in any hotel in general.

Not sure about booking through Chase as I'm not a Chase customer but if it is anything like Amex, you shouldn't really need to worry about getting the worst room of the class. I typically book direct through hotels though so I'm not an expert in CC portals.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:06 pm

I'll probably choose the Swissotel Stamford.
It is just right above the City Hall MRT station.
From a higher floor, u can look over Marina bay at the MBS hotel.

The other three hotels are not that accessible.
U have to walk a fair distance from City Hall or Esplanade MRT.

Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiO

The other three hotels are not that accessible.
U have to walk a fair distance from City Hall or Esplanade MRT.
The Swissotel certainly has the easiest MRT access but access to the Esplanade station for any of the other hotels including the Pan Pacific is very easy and can be done almost completely indoors if heat is a concern. I wouldn't say no to any of those hotels on the basis of MRT access unless all other things were equal and I needed a tiebreaker.

Forgot to attach it to my previous post recommending the Pan Pacific, but this was my view from one of those Pacific Harbour Studio rooms last year.

dogloverjb likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
The Swissotel certainly has the easiest MRT access but access to the Esplanade station for any of the other hotels including the Pan Pacific is very easy and can be done almost completely indoors if heat is a concern. I wouldn't say no to any of those hotels on the basis of MRT access unless all other things were equal and I needed a tiebreaker.

Forgot to attach it to my previous post recommending the Pan Pacific, but this was my view from one of those Pacific Harbour Studio rooms last year.
That's stunning. I have a reservation there in mid/late June, hoping I get that kind of view.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol

Oh wow - I was trying to make my decision to be easier, not harder! This is a great suggestion, thanks so much. It's about ~$30USD a night more than the RC; not really a dealbreaker even though I can't see us getting much out of the club. I think it basically comes down to having a larger tub and marginal club benefits or saving a bit of $$ and having the tub by the window. Tough call!

Since I first posted, I discovered the upper floors of the Swissotel are going to be closed for renovation during our stay (Nov 2018), so think I'm gonna pass. Thanks though!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:43 pm

Oh wow - I was trying to make my decision to be easier, not harder! This is a great suggestion, thanks so much. It's about ~$30USD a night more than the RC; not really a dealbreaker even though I can't see us getting much out of the club. I think it basically comes down to having a larger tub and marginal club benefits or saving a bit of $$ and having the tub by the window. Tough call!

Since I first posted, I discovered the upper floors of the Swissotel are going to be closed for renovation during our stay (Nov 2018), so think I'm gonna pass. Thanks though!
Not sure you can really go wrong with either. When I went last, the RC was significantly more expensive which is how I ended up at the Pan Pacific. Didn't miss the RC one bit, that room at the Pan Pacific is one of the best I've had all things considered. The tub doesn't have a view but it is seriously the biggest bath tub I've ever seen in my life. I have a 6 person outdoor hot tub at home that has almost exactly the same dimensions. It took like half an hour to fill it. The one good thing about the Pan Pacific Pacific Harbour Studio bathrooms is they have sliding dividers so while you can't see to the outside, you can slide them to the side and watch the TV from the tub.

I also found a panorama from that room to get a better idea of the full view. I have plenty more pictures where those came from too, for anyone just wanting to see some Singapore skyline. I went just after National Day and just before the Grand Prix last year so there was a lot of construction and race barriers up making navigating the streets on foot a bit more difficult. November shouldn't be a problem at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.