Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Durians: Love or hate?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Time for a SIN Durian DO?
Please DO! (no pun intended) But it is likely i'll avoid all the durian related activities! :P
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by lowjhg
Please DO! (no pun intended) But it is likely i'll avoid all the durian related activities! :P
Part of the Durian DO should be a visit to a Cat Mountain plantation in MY.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I remember waiting for the lift with hubby in Asia somewhere and he said..."look, you can't take hedgehogs in the lift or to your room". I laughed my ... off... I said..."it's NO DURIAN FRUIT...."!!!!!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:11 am

Cat mountain king durian is really good.
Has a slightly bitter taste and not overly sweet to go with the creamy texture.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:26 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Durians: Love or hate?

I just came back from Medan.. Brought back with me two stacks of durian pancake. Shiok!
Can't wait for August when the durian season starts there.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Plat Elite
Originally Posted by flighty84
A friend of mine introduced me to durian recently; I did not like it one bit. Also, my fingers still smell of durian even after I've washed it. Anyone know the quickest way to rid of the smell?
Turpentine or Muratic acid. That should do the trick!

Just kidding. Try rubbing your fingers on your stainless steel sink. That works to remove onion smell.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Anywhere in SG to get durian in small quantities?

The only ones I've found (and they're everywhere) look like 1lb or more edible fruit. I'm not allowed to bring durian home, so I need to finish it in one go. I just want to try a little bit without wasting the whole package.

On the other hand, the freshly made durian pancake in Chinatown was delicious.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign

The only ones I've found (and they're everywhere) look like 1lb or more edible fruit. I'm not allowed to bring durian home, so I need to finish it in one go. I just want to try a little bit without wasting the whole package.

You can buy those prepacked in styrofoam boxes at the durian stalls! Those are the smallest quantity you can get. Depending on which durian breed you get, the seeds may range from v small to big, so what you see does not represent the actual amount of durian flesh you will get.

I typically can eat 7-10 seeds in 1 seating... Btw if you like the durian pancake in Chinatown, I'm pretty sure you will like the actual fruit, so juz go ahead and buy it.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SQ319
You can buy those prepacked in styrofoam boxes at the durian stalls! Those are the smallest quantity you can get. Depending on which durian breed you get, the seeds may range from v small to big, so what you see does not represent the actual amount of durian flesh you will get.
Good to know. I will give it a try! Next time I'm in town will be late Sept to early Oct. Would I find durian at that time?

I typically can eat 7-10 seeds in 1 seating... Btw if you like the durian pancake in Chinatown, I'm pretty sure you will like the actual fruit, so juz go ahead and buy it.
Yeah, coz I'm pretty sure the grade used in the $2 pancake is the lowest grade. I look forward to trying a variety.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:49 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by italdesign

For some visits to the China Town food complex we found what we thought was the smell of over-flowing drains a real turn-off and ran away. Heart-rending stuff. Terrible. Poo. We then saw a really large durian wholesaler on the street next door .....
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
So it's durian season, anybody ate any recently?

I haven't...
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:46 am

Yes. Was able to partake in a group trip to durian farm in Malaysia. My first time eating fresh durian, although had some durian pancakes before. Lots of fruit and lots of tour groups. Locals and Singaporeans definitely get a kick out of foreigners eating and enjoying durian.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by airsupply
Yes. Was able to partake in a group trip to durian farm in Malaysia. My first time eating fresh durian, although had some durian pancakes before. Lots of fruit and lots of tour groups. Locals and Singaporeans definitely get a kick out of foreigners eating and enjoying durian.
Yeah it's rare for foreigners to like durians due to the pungent smell and taste.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Count me amongst the naysayers....
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:13 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I tried a "fresh" durian again, in Bali. If it weren't for the texture, I might've had more success.

That said, it compares favorably with say, 100-year old eggs, or a certain canned item from Vietnam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.