Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where do you get Singapore dollars?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Where do you get Singapore dollars?

Is it easier to use an ATM in SIN or to use moneychangers? I'm assuming that SIN and Bali use the same currency?
We have a layover in SIN so can we get $$ there or is it best to wait until Bali?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> Is it easier to use an ATM in SIN or to use moneychangers?

I would say money changers. Easier to spot them than ATM. And excellent rates. I withdrew cash from ATM and exchanged the leftover back through the money changer 2 hours later, and I made money!!! (rates at the money changer was THAT good)

>> I'm assuming that SIN and Bali use the same currency?

Are they the same country? No.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by TheHawk2002
Is it easier to use an ATM in SIN or to use moneychangers? I'm assuming that SIN and Bali use the same currency?
We have a layover in SIN so can we get $$ there or is it best to wait until Bali?
I've used money changers rather than ATMs in both Bali and Singapore. There's always lots of competition and I've always found good rates.

Asia is not like the EU; each country has its own currency. Singapore Dollars and Indonesian Rupiah (Bali is part of Indonesia).

Don't exchange too much money in Singapore, just get what you need as you will lose when you change it back to your own currency. Can you get away without changing any at all? Depending on what you do, you may be better off just spending on your credit card and avoid getting any Singa currency.

Have fun, they are both great places to visit - you'll find Bali cheaper than Singapore.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Don't exchange too much money in Singapore, just get what you need as you will lose when you change it back to your own currency.

Probably better not to change excess SGD back into USD, just hang on to them and do a SGD IDR exchange in Bali.

Worth pointing out that competitive rates and no commission make many SE Asian destinations good places to mop up left-over currencies. OK, it might be hard to find generous rates, or any rates at all, for some of the more exotic varieties ...
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
OK, it might be hard to find generous rates, or any rates at all, for some of the more exotic varieties ...
The money changers in Singapore (especially in Change Alley) will likely take anything you have.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Moneychangers in Bali demand brand new USD100 notes with no creases, wrinkles, folds, writing on them, etc. It's always a hassle with my bank at home to get perfect bills before Bali trips. Start working on it early, like a few weeks ahead of your trip. Last time it took me 3 trips to my bank to get my cash in order.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
An advice from a person who lives and works in Singapore:

You are going to Indonesia and that country (surprise!) has its own currency. I'd suggest do some reading at least on Wikipedia and WikiVoyage articles to avoid potential confusion, frustration or embarrassment (the suggestion is based on your question if Bali and SIN use the same currency).

Your transit time in SIN to DPS is 3 hours, as you've indicated in your previous messages. That means - you are not going to leave transit area. This also means that you are left with money changers in the airside of the terminal and (ding-ding!) they have horrendous exchange rate - expect to pay 5%-10% more vs. money thu the ATM. This is is not peculiarity of SIN, this is the business model everywhere.

No regarding Indonesian Rupiah. Again, arguably the best (and safest/least hassle-free option) would be to get money from ATM after arriving at DPS and do it after leaving airport. Just do it on some local bank's branch office.

Just make sure that:

- You need to have some US $ at your possession to pay Indonesian Visa on Arrival ($25 per person if you stay more than a week) and to exchange small amount ($100 max) on sport so you have Rupiah on hand after arrival.
- You notify your bank about your travel plans so they do not block your ATM card
- Take money from the ATM located inside or right next to the bank's branch to minimize possibility of skimming device installed on the ATM
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
An advice from a person who lives and works in Singapore:

You are going to Indonesia and that country (surprise!) has its own currency. I'd suggest do some reading at least on Wikipedia and WikiVoyage articles to avoid potential confusion, frustration or embarrassment (the suggestion is based on your question if Bali and SIN use the same currency).
Sorry. My question was not phrased as I meant it. I was just wondering what currency was accepted in SIN airport? We have found that throughout Central America, Canada, and the Caribbean, a majority of the airports take US dollars without question. Of course they give change in local currency. We usually hit the local ATM to get local currency. I've never used the airport money exchange places since they never seem to be open when I'm flying! Good to know that you pay extra for that service.

Just trying to avoid transaction fees and such by using credit cards in SIN.

Really ATM skimming too? Respectable money changer sounds reasonable. Is it rude to bring your own calculator?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Sorry. My question was not phrased as I meant it. I was just wondering what currency was accepted in SIN airport? We have found that throughout Central America, Canada, and the Caribbean, a majority of the airports take US dollars without question. Of course they give change in local currency. We usually hit the local ATM to get local currency. I've never used the airport money exchange places since they never seem to be open when I'm flying! Good to know that you pay extra for that service.
Problem with paying for goods and services in USD-cash is the internal exchange rate used by the retailer (IF he/she is willing and able to accept USD). If you disagree with the rate you are likely to be directed to a FOREX desk.

Far easier to to simply exchange cash at the desk in the first place, or pay with your card. Exchange is simple and lightening fast. Unless you are planning a big purchase, the exchange penalty is probably not worth worrying about.

Leftover SGD are not really a problem. Money changers in Indonesia will be happy to mop up even a few low value notes.

Paying with a card, watch out for direct currency conversion - where you are billed in your home currency rather than SGD. This is rarely a goood idea in terms of conversion rates employed.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 6:33 am

We have found that throughout Central America, Canada, and the Caribbean, a majority of the airports take US dollars without question. Of course they give change in local currency.
Bad idea. If someone accepts foreign currency in addition to the local currency the set the exchange rate and (obviously) is favorable to them. This situation exists in resort area of Indonesia's Bintan Island where SIN $ is de facto currency, but exchange rate set to 10% higher than the interbank (via ATM) rate is.

Just trying to avoid transaction fees and such by using credit cards in SIN.
You need to get a card without foreign transaction fees. There are number of them available, Chase cards (Ink, Sapphire, Explorer) are particularly popular.

Regarding the ATM card - get the card from a bank which does not charge ATM fees. CapitalOne is one of them.

Really ATM skimming too? Respectable money changer sounds reasonable. Is it rude to bring your own calculator?
I do not think 'Respectable money changers' have Yelp reviews. How do you know which one is 'respectable'?

Here is what was mentioned regarding money exchange in Bali:

If you are changing money in Bali, beware of the short-changing trick. They will count out what is supposed to be the correct amount, but when you count it, they will short-change you by a couple hundred rupiah. You give it back they add a few more bills on top but meanwhile they slide bills out from the bottom onto the floor behind their desk/kiosk.

I tried pinching the corner of the wad of bills so they couldn't slide anything out from the bottom as I was expecting the trick and they came up with excuses not to go through with the transaction. I finally got my money changed at a travel agency where I was able to count it out in small piles of 1,000,000 rupiahs on a table and the money changer agreed not to touch it after the amount was confirmed. You can use ATMs but it's hard to find machines that will give you more than 2,500,000 rupiahs ($250) per transaction and each time your home bank will charge you an AT fee so it all adds up.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:09 am

I've changed USD in Ubud many times. Wait until about 11am to do the transaction, they have their daily supply of money by then and the rate is stabilized. Try not to change money on Friday afternoon or during the weekend, poor rate. Do be careful about "tricks" as mentioned above. Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to take your own calculator. WALK AWAY if the first stack of money doesn't count correctly, don't let the changer re-coount it (as mentioned above). Re-count your USD before leaving. Do not go back to that money changer during your visit. Don't worry, there are many places to exchange money in Ubud.

Count ALL the money, I have never been cheated in Bali but I was once in Luang Prabang, Laos. I didn't count the whole stack at the changer's window because I didn't want to hold up the long line behind me, big mistake. The changer slipped several low-value notes into the stack and I didn't discover it until that evening at the hotel.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Dianne47
I've changed USD in Ubud many times. Wait until about 11am to do the transaction, they have their daily supply of money by then and the rate is stabilized. Try not to change money on Friday afternoon or during the weekend, poor rate. Do be careful about "tricks" as mentioned above. Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to take your own calculator. WALK AWAY if the first stack of money doesn't count correctly, don't let the changer re-coount it (as mentioned above). Re-count your USD before leaving. Do not go back to that money changer during your visit. Don't worry, there are many places to exchange money in Ubud.

Count ALL the money, I have never been cheated in Bali but I was once in Luang Prabang, Laos. I didn't count the whole stack at the changer's window because I didn't want to hold up the long line behind me, big mistake. The changer slipped several low-value notes into the stack and I didn't discover it until that evening at the hotel.
Would going to a local ATM instead be a better solution to avoid all this?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Would going to a local ATM instead be a better solution to avoid all this?
I thought that some ATMs had skimming devices as well.

I'm going with the attitude that I'm on vacation and willing to sacrifice a few dollars for convenience depending on what happens to be available at the time. I'm not going to be swindled on purpose because I am a tourist however!

Thanks for all the knowledge on this. I at least know several things to look out for!

Now to search for things to do in Ubud. I'm not a big shopper so I'm considering a tour around the area, cooking class, elephant rides, watching dancing, etc. We are only there a short time so I would like to have all my logistical ducks in a row (i.e., how to change money) before we go!
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:14 am

I thought that some ATMs had skimming devices as well.
This is a reason why going to a branch of a 'normal' bank or using an ATM inside large and well-known resort makes sense.

I'm going with the attitude that I'm on vacation and willing to sacrifice a few dollars for convenience depending on what happens to be available at the time. I'm not going to be swindled on purpose because I am a tourist however!
Right one. Just check 'stay safe' section on Wikivoyage. If you are informed and aware of game rules - better for you.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:38 am

Now to search for things to do in Ubud. I'm not a big shopper so I'm considering a tour around the area, cooking class, elephant rides, watching dancing, etc. We are only there a short time so I would like to have all my logistical ducks in a row (i.e., how to change money) before we go!
Head over to the Asia forum, there are TONS of threads there about Bali and Ubud. For excursions you will want to hire a car and driver, there will be several good drivers recommended at the Asia forum.

Don't forget the excellent and inexpensive spas in Ubud, I go to a different one every day when I'm there. A massage a day helps with jetlag. You can try Zen Body Holiday, Spa Hati, and Nur Salon for starters. Be sure to attend at least one evening dancing performance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.