Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore in 7-star style

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Singapore in 7-star style

Hi,

I'm taking a girlfriend to Singapore for a few days for a shopping spree. It's her first time out of Australia (out of Queensland actually).

Now normally I stay in pretty budget hotels or even hostels, fly coach and use public transport but since this time I am trying to get some, I'm bringing out the big bucks. We're flying first on Emirates from Brisbane.

First off - hotel. I like the look of Marina Sands (well I like the look of their pool). Raffles is out, stayed there once - not a huge fan. Looking for a luxurious suite.

Second off - transfer. Atlantis in Dubai picked me up in a helicopter and dropped me off in a Rolls Royce. Is there any hotel or independent company that offers either of those? I searched extensively on Google but I can't find anything useful (well once company that has an older model Rolls).

Anyone has an experience or knowledge of this sort of thing? I thought Singapore would be a great place for ultra-luxury but from what I'm turning up Melbourne is a pretty competitive option.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Look up JetQuay and add that to the list (although it's unnecessary in SIN really, given it's such a slick airport).

EK will provide a limo for you anyway so can't see the point in wasting money on another transport option.

Plenty of nice places to stay in Singapore - Goodwood Park, Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La Valley Wing???

But then I saw this...

but since this time I am trying to get some
So I feel compelled to ask, are you really so shallow that the only way you can "get some" is by spending so much money on a woman that she feels obliged?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:11 am
Original Poster

So I feel compelled to ask, are you really so shallow that the only way you can "get some" is by spending so much money on a woman that she feels obliged?
Haha no, immature humor - we have a solid casual relationship and money has never entered into it before - she won't even let me buy her dinner usually (vice versa most of the time), so this is a treat for both of us.

Forgot Emirates provided a limo, thanks for that.

I'll also look into everything else you mentioned, JetQuay looks cool and I'll have to look up the hotels.

Thank you very much.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
If this girl won't sleep with you short of an intercontinental trips in first, helicopters, shopping and hotel suites perhaps you should reconsider seeing her at all...
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Again, was a joke. I also enjoy the first class intercontinental trips, suites, shopping and helicopters. I took another, male friend on the same kind of trip, and he did not put out at all. It's far from my usual style of travel, and I usually advocate against this type of travel since you don't see the destination as much as you would hanging out with locals, other travellers etc. but it's nice to splurge every now and then.

Not that it's anyone's business, but since my lighthearted tones don't convey over the Internet, but I am perfectly capable of "getting some" at home, without spending more than a cocktail. The girl I am taking to Singapore I have been with on and off with since high school, we know each other extremely well and she's usually the one buying me stuff, I thought it would be nice to get her back.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Dredgy
Haha no, immature humor -
I really don't want to pillory you in public, but that's not immature humor. It's a boast that if I spend $10k, I think I'll get laid.

There's a mantra that if it flies, floats or **cks then rent it. I can't but help think you should heed this advice.....
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Yea okay, it didn't work, it came out wrong. It is the sort of thing I'd say in real life in very, very obvious jest. The point of the trip is not to get laid, the trip is just a present - for me as much as her. As you say, I could very easily rent for that much, or get it for free at any bar, club or after a couple of dates (which is what I tend to do)

I definitely do not condone lavish gifts for that reason, or prostitution for that matter. I apologise for the wording, or even putting it in there, it was stupid and I didn't think twice. Was just trying to play on the idea that guys will do almost anything to impress a girl. But it's not my reason for the trip.

That said, I still want this to be a memorable trip, so any more advice on places to stay and things to do is still welcome.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: Krisflyer
This is a new one, not sure if it's as classy as you want, but it's in a great location, and the architecture is amazing.
http://www.parkroyalhotels.com/en/ho...yal/index.html
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Yeah, I would check out the Parkroyal, been past it a few times and it looks awesome.

While I have not stayed at the MBS, I have heard that the rooms are nothing special. And that pool is always crowded.

You might also want to look at the St. Regis or perhaps something on Sentosa.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Dredgy
I'm taking a girlfriend to Singapore for a few days for a shopping spree. It's her first time out of Australia (out of Queensland actually).
What kind of shopping spree are you looking at? Personally, I found SIN to be pretty pathetic (for SE Asia) for shopping. I found BKK or HKG to be far better for shopping.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
If this girl won't sleep with you short of an intercontinental trips in first, helicopters, shopping and hotel suites perhaps you should reconsider seeing her at all...
Or just look for a more efficient use of capital....
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:35 pm

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Ritz Carlton
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:21 pm

If shopping (I assume name brand stuff) is your main goal might as well go to HKG. Or better yet go to MFM. If buying a ton of stuff fail to "get you some" you can always go make a trip to the basement of the Lisboa.

In all seriousness though SIN may not be the best place to go.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
St Regis has Bentley transfers if you want the style... And I like the rooms at St Regis much better than Marina Bay Sands. Other hotels recommended includes the Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, Fullerton Bay Hotel, Capella in Sentosa Island, and the Shangri-la Valley Wing.

Private helicopters are not available at all in Singapore. Some local law prohibiting it.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Just come back from spending a great time at Fullerton Bay Hotel.

This trip we also stayed at FS & MO on other trips.......Fullerton Bay Hotel wins hands down & is our new home when in SIN.

FWIW we were going to try MBS however, the crowds put us off. After going up to Skypark to take a gander I'm glad we selected FBH......at 9pm the small glimpse that I saw of the pool - it was chock-a-block with people.

Don't want to imagine the state of that pool water

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.