Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Midnight connection in SIN: Jetstar to JAL, +/- 2 hours enough?

Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium

I'm looking at the following:
Jestar, arriving from SGN arriving 00:10am,
JAL, onward to HND departing 1:55am.
From searching these threads, and the SIN airport page, it looks like I'll be fine. But, thought I'd check on here to confirm---is this enough time?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by skye1
I'm looking at the following:
Jestar, arriving from SGN arriving 00:10am,
JAL, onward to HND departing 1:55am.
From searching these threads, and the SIN airport page, it looks like I'll be fine. But, thought I'd check on here to confirm---is this enough time?
This should be ok, but it might be a little close if there is a hiccup in the Jetstar flight. The good news is that both JL and 3K operate from Terminal 1 so this saves you from having to move yourself from one terminal to the next.

If you have no check in baggage, when arriving at Changi stay airside and go to the transfer desk for your JL boarding pass - you can then proceed to your gate. If you do have baggage, then go through passport control, collect your baggage, go through customs and then ground side as per normal (this could be as fast as 10 minutes if you're really lucky). Then move yourself to the departure level (upstairs) to check in at the JL counter.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
This should be ok, but it might be a little close if there is a hiccup in the Jetstar flight. The good news is that both JL and 3K operate from Terminal 1 so this saves you from having to move yourself from one terminal to the next.

If you have no check in baggage, when arriving at Changi stay airside and go to the transfer desk for your JL boarding pass - you can then proceed to your gate. If you do have baggage, then go through passport control, collect your baggage, go through customs and then ground side as per normal (this could be as fast as 10 minutes if you're really lucky). Then move yourself to the departure level (upstairs) to check in at the JL counter.
Thanks! That's exactly what I thought. Nope, no checked baggage.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
To connect from a LCC to a scheduled one, I would give myself more time.. only because LCCs tend to be delayed for one reason or another and with Murphy's Law in place, the day you want to be on time, you will be late... and then you're SOL.

Best to give yourself at least 4 hours in between flights. Or better still, arrive one day early.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
To connect from a LCC to a scheduled one, I would give myself more time.. only because LCCs tend to be delayed for one reason or another and with Murphy's Law in place, the day you want to be on time, you will be late... and then you're SOL.

Best to give yourself at least 4 hours in between flights. Or better still, arrive one day early.
The biggest issue is the inbound Jetstar flight. LCC has less resources to deal with visits by Murphy. Most are great with the first flight of the day but by late night the Murphy visits will have taken their toll on the schedule.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:15 pm

+1. I would schedule in more buffer.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
This should be ok, but it might be a little close if there is a hiccup in the Jetstar flight...
Originally Posted by jpatokal
+1. I would schedule in more buffer.
Considering how other folks have weighed in, I realize I was remiss in being quite so optimistic. Generally it has seemed to me that Jetstar has been fairly consistent in having on time arrivals. However if you have the bad luck of being on that one flight that comes in late, then all the on time statistics won't do you a bit of good. In any case building some more buffer, as jpatokal suggests is a good idea.

If you haven't bought your Jetstar ticket, see if you can get an earlier flight. If you have, maybe you can change the ticket to an earlier flight for a fee? (I have no idea if you can or not.) If you are locked in, then find out now what are your options with JL in case Jetstar arrives late.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the further insights. Agreed with the optimistic, original common themes, and that's been my experience with connecting in SIN mid-night. Had purchased a ticket with the same initial "optimisim" but in thinking further on it, agree with the common themes since and have gone ahead and paid the change fee. True, whilst likely all will be well, you dont' want yours to be that one case that isn't. Change fee was worth the peace of mind. Now, landing with Jetstar at 6:40 in the evening, with LOADS of time!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.