Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Overnighting in Changi

Overnighting in Changi

Old Aug 4, 2012, 6:24 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Overnighting in Changi

Hey, I have a VN flight SGN-SIN, arriving into Changi at 7:25p, and then the next morning I'm flying SQ biz class SIN-MLE, departing at 9:45am.

Rather than deal with a hotel in Singapore, or even those airport transit hotels, I'm thinking of just sleeping somewhere in a lounge. So a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer:

1. I'm guessing that as an SQ biz flyer I'll be able to get into some SQ lounge. (There are also some Priority Pass lounges that are open 24 hours that I'll have access to: the Skyview Lounge in T1 and the Ambassador Transit Lounges in T2 and T3.) Are any of these good for sleeping?

2. Are there lockers or some other place I can ditch not only my suitcase but my carry-on backpack? I would be ok leaving my suitcase w immigration to claim the next morning, but definitely need to have the backpack (w/computer) and would need it to be secure that while I'm sleeping. Perhaps in a lounge?

Thank you very very much,
Eric

Last edited by pnoeric; Aug 4, 2012 at 6:30 pm
Old Aug 4, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Overnighting in Changi

Sky view in1 no good for sleeping. If I were you the transit hotel is a great option as it is airside and also allows access to a pool.
Just used crowne plaza for 8 hour stay but I had kids with me. It was expensive and noisy and i wished I had used the transit hotel.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:53 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by binman
Sky view in1 no good for sleeping. If I were you the transit hotel is a great option as it is airside and also allows access to a pool.
Just used crowne plaza for 8 hour stay but I had kids with me. It was expensive and noisy and i wished I had used the transit hotel.
Thanks for the reply. The Crowne Plaza is coming up at like $269/night or something-- way too much for such a short layover. The transit hotel looks promising but if I can sleep in lounges then why pay for it at all? But yeah, the transit hotel (with its odd 6-hour block pricing, then by-the-hour after the first 6 hours) is my fallback.

thanks,
E
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:40 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Anyone else have any thoughts on lounge sleeping at Changi... in the SQ lounges? Or Ambassador Transit Lounges?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
With a midnight arrival and 7Am departure I've caught some Zzzzz in the T3 lounge in back. Staff will give you a blanket and pillow if you like. There are some benches that aren't bad but it's not a great option and I'd recommend, for the amount of time you have, to go to the transit hotel if you don't want to leave the airport.

The other option is hit the lounge and drink all night.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Reserve the transit hotel for a block that will let you get the sleep you need, for example nine hours if you want to sleep for eight hours. There is a transit hotel in each terminal, although I've only used the one in T3, which is the newest. One of the other transit hotels was recently closed for renovation, so it's had some modernization and upgrades. At least one offers budget rooms without private/ensuite toilet and shower facilities.

The T1 SkyView lounge is pretty decent and certainly is open all night, but IIRC it limits visits to several hours, although I don't know how they enforce this. There's a large and quiet area about a half level above the main area. You access it by hidden stairs at the far left wall, near the toilets and showers. I don't recall seeing any seating on while one could comfortably stretch out and recline.

I haven't seen the T2 SQ lounge since it was renovated, but the biz side of their T3 lounge impresses me as always busy at all hours. When you can book (do make an advance reservation as they get full most nights) the transit hotel for $80 or less, IMO it's not worth sleeping in the lounge and worrying about your belongings.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
I do both C lounges weekly T-2 & T-3

Personally I would not plan on sleeping there. The chairs are not all that comfortable. T-3 lounge is packed most of the time. T-2 has some other pay lounges down the hall. I know one of them has small single beds. The transit hotel would probably be your best option.

Originally Posted by pnoeric
Anyone else have any thoughts on lounge sleeping at Changi... in the SQ lounges? Or Ambassador Transit Lounges?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA PREMIER GOLD, AMEX PLT, HYATT Diamond
Priority Pass sleeping idea...

1. I'm guessing that as an SQ biz flyer I'll be able to get into some SQ lounge. (There are also some Priority Pass lounges that are open 24 hours that I'll have access to: the Skyview Lounge in T1 and the Ambassador Transit Lounges in T2 and T3.) Are any of these good for sleeping?
I was using a Priority Pass lounge next to the Ambassador Transit hotel during a long MR layover last year. A lady attendant showed me the sleeping area in the back: a few basic small rooms with drawn curtains that you could rent for a small fee.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:44 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Thank you all. Hmm. So many options ;-) I'm leaning towards the transit hotel (to just be sure it's done and okay), though the Priority Pass sleeping option might be worth investigating.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:07 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Recently, I had roughly the same arrival/departure times that you had in Singapore. I wandered around parts of the city until the last train left for Changi, and then somehow killed time in T3 and its basement floors. I was denied access to any *A lounge because MI flights apparently don't allow one to reap the benefits of *G, alas you will have a more tolerable experience (I hope/reckon) with your onwards SQ biz ticket.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:10 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
Recently, I had roughly the same arrival/departure times that you had in Singapore. I wandered around parts of the city until the last train left for Changi, and then somehow killed time in T3 and its basement floors. I was denied access to any *A lounge because MI flights apparently don't allow one to reap the benefits of *G, alas you will have a more tolerable experience (I hope/reckon) with your onwards SQ biz ticket.
Thanks... I think I'm definitely going with the travel hotel, but I'll be working it hard with the lounge access, too. :-) BTW great travel blog! Looks like you have really covered everywhere in Asia!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Reserve the transit hotel for a block that will let you get the sleep you need, for example nine hours if you want to sleep for eight hours. There is a transit hotel in each terminal, although I've only used the one in T3, which is the newest. One of the other transit hotels was recently closed for renovation, so it's had some modernization and upgrades. At least one offers budget rooms without private/ensuite toilet and shower facilities.
This is really what's tipped me over. It looks like flights from Vietnam and departing to the Maldives both go in and out of terminal 2. Can I get from T2 to T3 without going through any checkpoints (immigration, customs, security)? Or do I have to go through those before I'm able to do this? Sorry, I'm very confused about how all this works! My flight is arriving from SGN at night and leaving early to MLE the next morning. So technically I never need to enter the country of Singapore, I just need to use their airport overnight :-)

Last edited by pnoeric; Aug 14, 2012 at 4:16 pm
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA PREMIER GOLD, AMEX PLT, HYATT Diamond
2. Can I get from T2 to T3 without going through any checkpoints (immigration, customs, security)? Or do I have to go through those before I'm able to do this? Sorry, I'm very confused about how all this works! My flight is arriving from SGN at night and leaving early to MLE the next morning. So technically I never need to enter the country of Singapore, I just need to use their airport overnight :-)
Yes, you can freely move about. No checkpoints in between...
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
- Ambassador lounge had a 5 hour stay limit and they make you wear a sticker with the expiry time

- Skyview has no lounge chairs

- Rainforest has day beds with semi-private partitions but they cost extra. A 6 hour stay costs more than the transit hotel min. stay of 6 hrs. But if you intend to stay less than 6 hrs, Rainforest is cheaper.

- Green Market is really just a restaurant and doesn't open overnight

- sleeping in the cinema is free

- you can move between T1-T2-T3 air side without going thru immigration.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:23 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by solanoma
Yes, you can freely move about. No checkpoints in between...
Thanks! That's what I needed to know.

Originally Posted by beep88
- Ambassador lounge had a 5 hour stay limit and they make you wear a sticker with the expiry time

- Skyview has no lounge chairs

- Rainforest has day beds with semi-private partitions but they cost extra. A 6 hour stay costs more than the transit hotel min. stay of 6 hrs. But if you intend to stay less than 6 hrs, Rainforest is cheaper.

- Green Market is really just a restaurant and doesn't open overnight

- sleeping in the cinema is free

- you can move between T1-T2-T3 air side without going thru immigration.
Perfect, thank you.

I'm booking my stay at the Ambassador Transit Hotel (probably T3) now...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; HHonors Gold; UA Silver
Arriving in Changi T-1 at 00:20 (DL). Will be staying in Singapore for 3-days before returning home. Thinking of using the transit hotel for a good 5 hours of sleep before heading out into town when the sun rises. (Didn't want to book a hotel room for the previous day).

Questions:

(a) Since I am not a transit passenger, will I have access and be allowed to stay at the transit hotel? The reason I ask is I am arriving passenger and the location of the transit hotel in T-1 is in the departure transit area.

(b) Any problems clearing customs and immigration 6 hours after the plane lands?

Only carry-on - no checked.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.