Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ferry from Singapore over the Equator

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Ferry from Singapore over the Equator

When I am next in Singapore, I want to have an adventure (!) over the Equator, where I can watch the lattitude and longitude countdown on my iPhone as we get closer and closer to the Equator. Of course, this voyage would have to be enroute to Indonesia. Is this possible from Sentosa?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I don't think it is (and certainly not from Sentosa).

The equator lies south of both Batam and Bintam, which I think are the only regular ferry routes from Singapore.

I tried to do something similar 20 years back but got fed up with the weather. I was going to have to traverse both islands then get a ferry on from there to Sumatra in my quest to cross the equator.

I realised a few years later it was a lot easier just to fly to Australia in business class....
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:39 pm

Latitiude will count down... longitude won't...

Sent to you from 35.23S /149.05E
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:06 am
Original Poster

I found this video on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZMGthz1R9g which at 2.54 is exactly what I want to do!

Seems this guy did it from Sumatra over to Java.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:47 am

It's possible, but not easy: you'd need to catch the PELNI ferry from Batam to Jakarta via a whole slew of small islands, which runs once a week or so and is regularly delayed by several days. Navigating their website will give you a hint of what this journey would entail, but here's a notional route map from 2006:

http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared/...snetz_2006.png
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
I doubt there are regular services just to tour the equator but maybe you can charter a boat?

My suggestion is to find one from Indonesia and not from Singapore.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I wonder if the OP hasn't quite appreciated the distance from Singapore to the equator (it's not like it just skirts along the southern fringes of the island).

A quick google suggests it's 85 miles - that's a good few hours on a decent ferry. I could probably dig out my old edition of "S E Asia on a shoestring" but the map posted by jpatokal probably flags up the place I managed to get to on the East coast of Bintan. It rained for two days solid whilst I waited for the boat before giving it up as a bad idea and retracing my route which I think was a share taxi across Bintan, boat to Batam, bus across there then a ferry back to Singapore. I then managed to keep going and all in the same day made it to Mersing. Got to Tioman a day later and the sun was out. Paradise!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
This is one way to get there if the dates for Chinese New Year next year work for you... Done it the last 2 years and its an absolute blast

http://www.neptune-regatta.com
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I see too many reports of ferry sinkings from that part of the world just to take one for the reason given.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.