Wiki Posts
Search

Entering Singapore from Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Entering Singapore from Amsterdam

Hello all, I have an upcoming trip to Amsterdam and Singapore. While I am in Amsterdam, I will likely visit the coffee shops, but I won't do anything stupid like try to bring drugs outside the country. I am then flying to Singapore, and have heard of some very strict drug laws, such as the airport giving a drug test, and just having it in your blood is illegal. Do I have anything to worry about? Would it take some bigger discovery (than simply arriving from AMS) to trigger a drug test?

Thanks
Old May 22, 2012, 2:06 am

Yes, you've never seen the photos of the lines of people waiting just pass passport control to take the pee test? .

I wouldn't worry. Yes, drug use is illegal, and testing positive for a drug test is grounds for convictions. However, you won't be subject to a drug screening unless you give the police sufficient grounds to require one of you.
Old May 22, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
If you arrive and are still high then you can be arrested, and this will then be treated as if you got high here in Singapore (and not in Amsterdam) so it's a big no-no.

Now if this is something you did some days ago and are not under the influence any more in any way then it shouldn't be a problem unless you are a citizen/PR.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by aster
If you arrive and are still high then you can be arrested, and this will then be treated as if you got high here in Singapore (and not in Amsterdam) so it's a big no-no.

Now if this is something you did some days ago and are not under the influence any more in any way then it shouldn't be a problem unless you are a citizen/PR.

Still high after a flight from Amsterdam? 12.5 hr + ~3 hr pre-flight at AMS (at least) = 15.5hr. That's some *really* good stuff
Old May 23, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
If they happen to have drug dogs checking your luggage (not unlikely for a flight coming in from AMS) the dog may detect the smell on the clothes you wore to the coffee shop. So make sure that you really are clean. Don't THC metabolites stay in the urine for a couple of days?
Old May 23, 2012, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Well my flight won't be arriving from Amsterdam. I go AMS-ZRH-BKK-SIN. My clothes will be clean, but the fact that it can stay in fat cells up to a month (depending on usage) is why I was a little worried. It sounds like I will be fine. I arrive on New Year's Eve, so I am really hoping arrival is quick so we can get to the hotel and whatever New Year's festivities we choose to attend.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by gwar69
but the fact that it can stay in fat cells up to a month
I don't think this is a problem for anyone other than citizens or PRs, who are NOT allowed to smoke weed even when travelling abroad in a country like Holland where it is allowed.

You might want to double-check this though somewhere like the forums at singaporeexpats.com just to make sure.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by aster
I don't think this is a problem for anyone other than citizens or PRs, who are NOT allowed to smoke weed even when travelling abroad in a country like Holland where it is allowed.
Singapore law makes no such distinctions -- it's illegal to possess drugs in Singapore, period, and that includes your bloodstream.

However, as other posters have already said, there's virtually zero chance you'll get a blood test at Customs -- I lived in Singapore for 7+ years and never even heard of this actually happening to anybody I know, and my colleagues and friends were a very heavily travelled bunch. In fact, I rather suspect random Custom blood tests are a bit of an urban legend spawned by the fact that if you're arrested by police for (eg.) drunk driving, and they test you and find drugs, you'll get charged for that as well.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Might be moot as the Netherlands has legislated to ban all foreigners from coffee shops. Amsterdam tried to secure an exemption but failed.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Might be moot as the Netherlands has legislated to ban all foreigners from coffee shops. Amsterdam tried to secure an exemption but failed.
I have been following that development. It won't take effect until next year at the earliest.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:47 pm

At least for Singapore citizens and PRs, they apparently can (and do?) enforce this

SINGAPORE — Amid reports that Singapore’s neighbours could legalise marijuana for medical use as early as next year, the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) reiterated its tough stance on drugs on Friday (Oct 26).Any citizen or permanent resident found to have abused controlled drugs overseas will be treated as if he or she had abused drugs in Singapore, the bureau said.The CNB conducts enforcement checks at Singapore’s checkpoints and will take action against those found to have consumed drugs overseas, it added.
https://www.todayonline.com/singapor...-legalise-drug
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:49 am

The Singapore Law Minister said a few days ago that ‘It’s bunkum’: Shanmugam on pharma claims about cannabis for medical use. Which implies they still take anything related to cannabis very seriously.
Just be sensible. There's nothing stopping you doing what is legal in Amsterdam and then going to Singapore.
I have never flown your slightly unusual routing.
If you are flying Bangkok to Singapore, there is an outside chance they screen the all passengers from that flight for drugs. They often do it from Bali, where they cordon off an area just outside the gate and passengers get all their belongings screened.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
7 year old thread...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Singapore law makes no such distinctions -- it's illegal to possess drugs in Singapore, period, and that includes your bloodstream.

However, as other posters have already said, there's virtually zero chance you'll get a blood test at Customs -- I lived in Singapore for 7+ years and never even heard of this actually happening to anybody I know, and my colleagues and friends were a very heavily travelled bunch. In fact, I rather suspect random Custom blood tests are a bit of an urban legend spawned by the fact that if you're arrested by police for (eg.) drunk driving, and they test you and find drugs, you'll get charged for that as well.

actually a few years ago on the expat forums Aster mentioned, there was a Brit who was randomly screened coming back from Thailand. I believe they let him go home and then the next day contacted him to let him know they would not press charges, but his employment pass was cancelled with a 72 hour period to leave Singapore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.