Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cab lines at airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Cab lines at airport?

Are there long lines at the airport to grab a cab? After a long flight, trying to decide if we should get private transporation to our hotel or take a cab. Is the wait time long at the airport to take a cab to the city? I know there is wonderful public transportation, which we did the last time we were there when going home, but this time we are coming in after 24 hours of travelling and just want to hop in a cab or car and go!

Thank you!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:08 pm

...WHAT airport?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:34 pm

If its LAX the answer would be only during peak times but hey not sure if its the airport info you need I am just guessing as no airport is listed.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Singapore! Why would I post a question about cabs in LAX in the Singapore forum for pete's sake?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:55 pm

It is really easy and there are multiple cab stands in the arrivals area.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

What do you think - 10 minutes or so to wait for a cab? I just have visions like the long cab lines at O'Hare and after travelling for over 24 hours, I don't think I'd be up for that.

Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by allinone
What do you think - 10 minutes or so to wait for a cab? I just have visions like the long cab lines at O'Hare and after travelling for over 24 hours, I don't think I'd be up for that.

Thanks!
I've never had to wait more than a minute or two for a cab at SIN, usually there's one there ready to go.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
The taxi queue is longer than the people queuing for it.

Fast and efficient, expect to get a cab fast, if multiple arrivals, expect to wait no up to 15 minutes although I have never waited more than 5 minutes.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:02 am

The only time I've ever seen taxi queues >15 min is around midnight when all the long-hauls from Europe and the US seem to land simultaneously, and with the advent of T3 even these have been reduced. Then again, around midnight there's no more public transport, so the taxi queue is pretty much your only option anyway. The one alternatively is to prebook a limo, or just walk up to the limo stand, but it's hardly worth the extra expense (~2x the taxi fare).
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses - it helps a lot!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by jpatokal
The only time I've ever seen taxi queues >15 min is around midnight when all the long-hauls from Europe and the US seem to land simultaneously
I don't think there are any long-hauls from Europe that arrive at that time, but maybe from the US there are?

Taxis are never a problem at Changi Airport, it's only when you need something special like a mini-bus that you might have to wait (almost always they get one over within minutes, but once I was told it would take up to 1/2-hour).

Anyway, getting back to the (regular) taxis, there are so many of them that they never run out. It's getting people into those taxis that slows things down, which is why each stand has like 8 parking bays to speed up the loading process.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Almost neve a line.

Just makes sure if you plan to pay by CC that you tell the handler and VERIFY with the driver he takes CC's and his machine works. Also, there is a ~12% surcharge for CC use.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:43 am
Original Poster

You read my mind! I was just about going to ask about credit card use for the taxi! If anyone is familiar with Changi, is there an ATM that's easily accessible? I'm going to assume US dollars are not accepted for the cab fare to the hotel.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:57 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
I've been to SIN several times and never had much of a wait for a taxi and never had a problem finding and using an ATM to pay for it.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
In the arrival halls, there are numerous ATMs which you can withdraw local currency.

The taxi accepts CC, a 10% service charge and on top of all these, a 7% GST.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.