Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

UA check in (SIN / Changi International Singapore)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: united mileage plus

This has been discussed in the past but there may be new answers. I'm looking at UA flights to SIN and see there is now a 5:30am departure. When last I was there the UA counter opened at 4:45am with no opportunity for an early check in at the airport to be able to use the transit hotel. I assume I'd have to be at the airport by 3:30am for 5:30 flight so paying an in town hotel seems even more painful. Can I check in online and print the boarding pass? Does UA have anywhere in town to check in? any other options?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
No other options to checkin, you have to be there before the counter opens. No early, no online.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
What would happen if the OP stays at the Transit Hotel (inside the secure zone); and then walk up to a UA transfer desk inside the secure area? Will they be able to check him in at say 430AM or something?

almost all airlines seem to have a transfer desk inside the secure area in SIN.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:14 pm

This post is better suited for the UA forum, as more people there may have experience with this issue.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
OP's problem is leaving the country flying on UA, not transiting. No early check-in, no official boarding pass (self-printed one doesn't qualify unless validated by airlines staff), no access to transit hotel.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I've stayed at SIN for hours outside in the ghost town departure area a few times before during my weekend visits to SIN. It's miserable but that's one of the reasons why the UA flight is so cheap!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by Santander
I've stayed at SIN for hours outside in the ghost town departure area a few times before during my weekend visits to SIN. It's miserable but that's one of the reasons why the UA flight is so cheap!
Just go to Terminal 3 B2 and hang out in the canteen and eat..
Old Dec 24, 2011, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by beep88
OP's problem is leaving the country flying on UA, not transiting. No early check-in, no official boarding pass (self-printed one doesn't qualify unless validated by airlines staff), no access to transit hotel.
AH yes. Thanks for that!! yes, OP wont have BP's to clear immigration!!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united mileage plus
Thanks for the replies (especially the one about eating my way through the night). I did stay overnight in the transit hotel one time years ago but was returning from another flight the day before the UA one. Last time I stayed at the Changi Village but hated waking up so early even though I was so close. I booked the UA flight leaving at 7:10 and will figure out what to do when the time comes. I was just wondering if anything had changed because it looked like UA's Singapore site offered online check in. Thanks again. Happy New Year fellow flyers.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:55 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Talking

Originally Posted by Ichinensei
Just go to Terminal 3 B2 and hang out in the canteen and eat..
T2 employee kopitiam doesn't open until 7am.

to the OP, you don't necessarily need to show up 2 hours before a flight at SIN, you'll be at the gate no problems even with 1 hour from check in... at least that's what I did when I flew United SIN-NRT... if I remember correctly I was at the airport at around 6am for a 7am flight... still had enough time to have one last kaya toast at Killiney Kopitiam before departure
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:55 pm
Suspended

was gonna do that 5:30am flight SIN-HKG myself till I saw it was a CO 738, went with the SIN-NRT @ 7:20am

OP if you have 25k in Priority Club pts grab a room at The Crwone Plaza thats a few mins walk from T3, thats what I did for my upcoming SIN trip
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by fdflys
This has been discussed in the past but there may be new answers. I'm looking at UA flights to SIN and see there is now a 5:30am departure.
I assume that's from SIN - if so, then it's the newly reduced in size flight to Hong Kong.

Originally Posted by fdflys
When last I was there the UA counter opened at 4:45am with no opportunity for an early check in at the airport to be able to use the transit hotel. I assume I'd have to be at the airport by 3:30am for 5:30 flight so paying an in town hotel seems even more painful. Can I check in online and print the boarding pass? Does UA have anywhere in town to check in? any other options?
I'm not sure exactly when the counter opens these days, but I took that flight twice in December. I can't say when I showed up (because I don't know), but it certainly would have been before 4:30. Also, you wouldn't really need two hours at that time of day, the airport is practically deserted, and you can cruise through pretty quickly.

If you show up at 4:00, that should be more than good enough. It is a bit of a walk to the gate, at least when I've taken it (I think it was A13).

If you do find yourself wandering Changi in the dead of night, when the airport train isn't operating, you can walk to the other terminals if you like. One way to get between T2 and T3 at night is to follow the signs for the MRT. It is closed at that time, but one level above the station, there is a walkway between the two terminals. You can get between T2 and T1 by walking through the car park. There used to be some places to eat open at night in T1/T2 landside, I assume there still are.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by craz
was gonna do that 5:30am flight SIN-HKG myself till I saw it was a CO 738, went with the SIN-NRT @ 7:20am
If you're going onward with suitable connections either way, that would certainly be my recommendation these days. I used to prefer to transit Hong Kong, but not anymore.

Although, for economy travel, someone has pointed out (and I unknowingly experienced this) that the SIN-HKG flight now seems to be under the US domestic UDU policy. Not sure about SIN-NRT.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by buzzsaw999
If you're going onward with suitable connections either way, that would certainly be my recommendation these days. I used to prefer to transit Hong Kong, but not anymore.

Although, for economy travel, someone has pointed out (and I unknowingly experienced this) that the SIN-HKG flight now seems to be under the US domestic UDU policy. Not sure about SIN-NRT.
the SIN-NRT is still the 744. I would have done SIN-HKG-SFO-JFK and the HKG-SFO is a 744, instead Im doing SIN-NRT-IAD-JFK and its a 777 to IAD with 36"' in E+ rather then 34', and hopefully it stays as the new config of 3-3-3 with personal video screens, and over all 1 hr less in the air

So I probably would have cleared the UP but felt overall it will be alot more comfortable doing the longest haul on the 777 and this way I get an extra 2 hrs in bed
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
my SIN-NRT was on a UA 777 that continued onto IAD.

it was far more comfortable than the AA 777 that I took from NRT to DFW.

not only that I was able to check in two bags for UA without a problem while AA made me repack my bags so that each was under 23kg

when the train isn't running between terminals you can walk, or if you prefer there is a shuttle bus that makes rounds to all three terminals. Just walk outside on the departure level, they go every 15 mins or so.

I too walked from T2 to T3 using the MRT connection, takes less time and its air conditioned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.