Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend in Singapore, flying UA - accomodations and transfers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA G
Weekend in Singapore, flying UA - accomodations and transfers

I've read through this thread on how to deal with UA's late (midnight-ish) arrivals -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...n-transpo.html

I am flying UA 895 (HKG-SIN), arriving around midnight on a Friday night, staying the weekend in Singapore (first time there), and then leaving on Monday morning on UA 804 (SIN-NRT) at 7am. Given the late arrival and early departure of both flights, I am thinking of doing something like this...

Arrive on Friday night and cab/limo it into town (~1am S$30-40). Stay in a downtown hotel (well, hostel...) for Friday and Saturday nights. Sunday night, head back to the airport ~11pm via MRT and then check in to a transit hotel there until 5:30/6am and then head off to my 7am flight.

Does this plan make sense? Can I checkin at a chicken on Sunday night and get a BP into the transit area to get to the transit hotel?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by unavaca
Arrive on Friday night and cab/limo it into town (~1am S$30-40). Stay in a downtown hotel (well, hostel...) for Friday and Saturday nights.
That part makes plenty of sense. You might be well rested and want to get out for some food at a Hawker Stand or hang out around Boat Quay/Clarke Quay area until it gets a bit later.

Sunday night, head back to the airport ~11pm via MRT and then check in to a transit hotel there until 5:30/6am and then head off to my 7am flight.
This part doesn't work. 1) There's no reason to head to the airport that early on Sunday nite, and 2) UA doesn't open for checkin until about 4:30am. So, NO, you can't get a BP to get airside.
There are no chickens in SIN, because you have to usually answer security questions and they put a sticker on your passport.
Good luck on your weekend!
Dave
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bseller
This part doesn't work. 1) There's no reason to head to the airport that early on Sunday nite, and 2) UA doesn't open for checkin until about 4:30am. So, NO, you can't get a BP to get airside.
There are no chickens in SIN, because you have to usually answer security questions and they put a sticker on your passport.
Thanks for the responses.

How does one normally get back to the airport for the 7AM UA flight? Do I have to suck it up and do a cab super early? MRT doesn't start running until 5AM, which makes the connection somewhat tight.

Will UA let me checkin the night before?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:22 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
How does one normally get back to the airport for the 7AM UA flight? Do I have to suck it up and do a cab super early?

Will UA let me checkin the night before?
I've been to SIN several times on UA and I always grab a cab for the early AM departure.

You can checkin online 24 hours prior to the flight, but I've never been able to print out a BP online.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Hm okay. Is there any good reason to stay near the airport (not necessarily a transit hotel) the night before as opposed to staying in the city and cabbing it in early?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:43 pm

Just stay at a hotel downtown or wherever.
Dont need to stay at an airport location hotel.

There is no traffic that early in the morning and it's a fast 20min ride to the airport.
Easy to get cabs as well.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:48 pm

Hm okay. Is there any good reason to stay near the airport (not necessarily a transit hotel) the night before as opposed to staying in the city and cabbing it in early?
I wouldn't. Streets are pretty empty that early in the AM so the cab ride is fairly quick. Stay in town and eat some good food. ^

Just checked my taxi receipts from my last two trips.

Trip 1: Left the Conrad at 04:52 and made it to Changi by 5:07 AM. 15 minutes, 18.7 KM.

Trip 2: Left the Conrad at 05:10 and made it to Changi by 5:23 AM. 13 minutes, 18.6 KM.

Drivers tend to go pretty fast that time of the morning.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Haha, nice. How much did those trips end up costing?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:58 pm

Haha, nice. How much did those trips end up costing?
Both trips were 13.20 SGD plus 50% late night/early morning surcharge of 6.60 SGD = 19.80 SGD each or about $14.00 each at today's exchange rate.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
You can spend $35 and stay in a Fragrance/Hotel 81, or you can priceline Conrad for $100. I do the former when by myself and the latter if I have a companion.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atLAS, aLAS
You can spend $35 and stay in a Fragrance/Hotel 81, or you can priceline Conrad for $100. I do the former when by myself and the latter if I have a companion.
Fragrance/Hotel 81 has really bad reviews on Tripadvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Singapore.html). Is this really worth staying at?

(FWIW, I was planning on doing hostels in Singapore... should be around $20/night, I think. I don't mind doing hotels if they're a few bucks more and at least of the same quality.)
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:10 am

Fragrance/Hotel 81 has really bad reviews on Tripadvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Singapore.html). Is this really worth staying at?
They're both large chains that function above all as short-stay hotels for locals consorting with prostitutes -- think Super 8. If this is your expectation and you don't plan on doing more than crashing in your room, you'll probably be (mildly) pleasantly surprised by what you get... but obviously there's nothing deluxe about them, and if I had even two nights to spend in Sg I'd consider other options.

(FWIW, I was planning on doing hostels in Singapore... should be around $20/night, I think. I don't mind doing hotels if they're a few bucks more and at least of the same quality.)
Around $20/night for a dorm bed, yes, but if you want a private room prices go right back to up Hotel 81/Fragrance territory.

If you do end up picking a hostel, you could do much worse than these guys, and they have private rooms as well.

* Sentosa View, 105 Spottiswoode Park Road (Near KTM railway station), ☎ +65-91009123 ([email protected]), http://sentosaview.com/ . Small but clean hostel located on the 23rd floor of a public housing block, the location is reasonably handy if you're coming from Malaysia by train but inconvenient for anything else, about 10 minutes walk (or a short bus trip) to Chinatown. Living room with TV, PC, free wifi, basic breakfast. No lockers. Dorm $20-25.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:41 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was recently at Changi airport when the HKG flight arrived a bit early. It was pretty amusing to see a guy with only carry-on running for the cab line at 11:55pm, trying to avoid the 50% midnight supplement. Looked to me like he made it!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I was recently at Changi airport when the HKG flight arrived a bit early. It was pretty amusing to see a guy with only carry-on running for the cab line at 11:55pm, trying to avoid the 50% midnight supplement. Looked to me like he made it!
Unfortunately for the running guy, the midnight supplement applies proportionally to any trip that extends past midnight, so while you may save $1.20 on the initial fee, you'll still pay 50% extra for every km after 00:00.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:01 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Unfortunately for the running guy, the midnight supplement applies proportionally to any trip that extends past midnight, so while you may save $1.20 on the initial fee, you'll still pay 50% extra for every km after 00:00.
They think of everything here in SIN. The Straits Times today said a certificate to own a car for 10 years (required before you can buy a car) was going up to over US$20k on April 1. This is apparently in addition to 100% import duty on the vehicle itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.