Reload this Page >

Singapore for first time / for a few days, NOT just a stopover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore for first time / for a few days, NOT just a stopover

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:23 am

This is about what to do in Singapore not a comparison to other parts of the world.
If u want to talk about North America, Dubai or whatever, go to the other forums.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Thank you for your opinion. I beg to differ. Comparisons between Singpaore and other places are perfectly valid in this thread in my opinion.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:46 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Well, you've said "in this thread" and it's a free world ...... but the intention of the thread was merely to encourage people that had previously thought of Singapore as a place to simply pass through as quickly as possible and not linger might like to consider spending longer there. And I intended to simply say I had found that familiarity breeds greater appreciation.

In that context I'm not really clear about how comparing Singapore to Dubai or Hong Kong etc etc is releavant to that ..... but that of course is a part of the free rangng FT spirit .......
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by christep
They are significantly below those in Hong Kong and Tokyo. And, I would suggest, well below those in Manhattan.
True, though I suppose in New York you at least have the option of living in the suburbs.

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
This is about what to do in Singapore not a comparison to other parts of the world.
If u want to talk about North America, Dubai or whatever, go to the other forums.
I merely brought up Dubai because (had you read some of the previous posts), people were comparing the weather in Singapore and Dubai, and as someone who has lived in both cities year round, I thought I'd offer a qualified opinion. And since you're so smart, please explain to me how to establish whether a city is 'expensive' without comparing it to other cities.

uk1 I do agree that people who only spend a night or two here have a very skewed, or perhaps incomplete notion of what Singapore is, and by all means they should spend more time here and get to know the place better. I think, however, that some of the posters felt that some of the 'things to do' that were proposed weren't all they were being cut out to be. After reading this thread, I thought I'd go check out the botanic gardens. They were nice, and it was great to see so many people there, and not see any buildings, but the heat and humidity sort of ruined the experience for me. Some things here are just marketing spiel (such as Sentosa beach). It's great that Singapore works for you, and every traveler should experience it for him/ herself and reach his/ her own conclusions.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:44 am

Programs: SQ, BA, 9W
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Sure, Singapore's hot, but your never too far away from being in an air conditioned space. Heck, even the outdoor areas of the new Universal Studios is kept at about 20 degrees! People who say it has no countryside obviously haven't ventured beyond the confines of Orchard road. Its like wishing Manhattan had a countryside. Drive 30 minutes north, and you'll be in the wide open spaces of Malaysia. Yes, Singapore is an expensive place to live, but its not as bad as Europe and some parts of North America (NYC, for example), Japan and a few others. If you want to live in the center of any city, its not going to be cheap You can get really nice houses out near the east coast for very reasonable prices. Public transport's as good as it can get, safety likewise. I have an 8 year old sister and we're never afraid to send her to meet her friends in a cab alone. As people have said, you need to explore the place and give it a chance. Not think of excuses to bring it down. Truth be told, I think some people are just jealous they're countries can't give them the convenience and comfort Singapore does.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ek&sq
Public transport's as good as it can get
I disagree - Hong Kong's is way more extensive and better (buses / minibuses particularly).
Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: PC Plat Am, Accor GOLD, Hilton Gold
I disagree - Hong Kong's is way more extensive and better (buses / minibuses particularly).
but then, the cabs are way cheaper in Singapore ..
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:09 am
Suspended

No - that's simply not true - taxis in Hong Kong and Singapore are similarly priced during the day, and cheaper in Hong Kong during peak hours and at night (when Singapore has high surcharges).

(Though comparison isn't straightforward because they are structured differently - for example Singapore gets more expensive for rides over 10km, whereas HK gets cheaper over 9km)

Last edited by christep; Apr 25, 2010 at 8:16 am
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:48 am

Programs: SQ, BA, 9W
No - that's simply not true - taxis in Hong Kong and Singapore are similarly priced during the day, and cheaper in Hong Kong during peak hours and at night (when Singapore has high surcharges).

(Though comparison isn't straightforward because they are structured differently - for example Singapore gets more expensive for rides over 10km, whereas HK gets cheaper over 9km)
The same can be said with Singapore busses. It covers Singapore very well considering its size, and I'd know because I've lived here almost 5 years now and use the bus/MRT to almost everywhere I go. So please don't make assumptions or bold statements sitting in another country when there are people with up to date, with first hand experience to present. I wouldn't argue about transportation in Hong Kong because I've only been there a couple of times, so you'd know best

PS: I can see from your links HK charges for bags, SG doesn't. These little things add up.

Last edited by ek&sq; Apr 26, 2010 at 3:53 am
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
So please don't make assumptions or bold statements sitting in another country when there are people with up to date, with first hand experience to present.
I happen to be sitting in Singapore too. Honestly, if you think this is as good as public transport gets, you have very low expectations. The trains are good, when they aren't crowded, but the buses are a pain. Nowhere is perfect of course. Manhattan has a 24x7 subway with express trains, trains branching out in the suburbs and a lot of smart ideas. The trains/ stations aren't that great, but IMO its a smarter system.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:20 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

But ..... useful insights as they are ....this is not the criteria that should be one of those used to decided where in the world we should spend a bit more time....................

I'd hate not to have spent all the time I have done in Singapore because I had been swayed by someone who pointed out that during certain hours the taxis were cheaper in Hong Kong ....
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by uk1
The only complaint I have ..... and it really is scraping the bottom of the boat ( ).... is that they got rid of the proper bum boats and replaced them with pleasure boats and described them as historic bum boats! You couldn't beat those boats with the smelly noisy engines and some of those guys with their incessant throat clearing .....
Oh, they're still out there alright, just take the boat from Changi Village to Pulau Ubin. Which, incidentally, is still a good antidote to those who think Singapore is all soulless glass, steel and shopping malls

And much ink has been spilled about the weather, but it's also a matter of personal preference. Having spent about a decade in a country where the mercury can hit -35 C in winter, I loved never having to wear more than a T-shirt. During the Singaporean "winter" (~28 C on a chilly day!), I could often spend several months without once turning on the aircon, and even a fan was sometimes too much... but yeah, every now and then I'd finding myself waiting for a bus for 20 min on cloudless summer afternoon and thinking that some vertical sleet sounds pretty good right about now.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Oh, they're still out there alright, just take the boat from Changi Village to Pulau Ubin. Which, incidentally, is still a good antidote to those who think Singapore is all soulless glass, steel and shopping malls

And much ink has been spilled about the weather, but it's also a matter of personal preference. Having spent about a decade in a country where the mercury can hit -35 C in winter, I loved never having to wear more than a T-shirt. During the Singaporean "winter" (~28 C on a chilly day!), I could often spend several months without once turning on the aircon, and even a fan was sometimes too much... but yeah, every now and then I'd finding myself waiting for a bus for 20 min on cloudless summer afternoon and thinking that some vertical sleet sounds pretty good right about now.
Once you get used to the heat even a 16 degrees C winter is too cold for you.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:40 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

I will never get over the thrill of getting out of a taxi and having your glasses steam up.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: PC Plat Am, Accor GOLD, Hilton Gold
The same can be said with Singapore busses. It covers Singapore very well considering its size, and I'd know because I've lived here almost 5 years now and use the bus/MRT to almost everywhere I go. So please don't make assumptions or bold statements sitting in another country when there are people with up to date, with first hand experience to present. I wouldn't argue about transportation in Hong Kong because I've only been there a couple of times, so you'd know best

PS: I can see from your links HK charges for bags, SG doesn't. These little things add up.
Plus all the tunnel charges and the traffic jams ... hahaha, I am from Singapore so I have to state up front that I am biased. To me Singapore's transportation system and prices are affordable and efficient

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.