Best Seats of Singapore Air 747-400

Old Aug 22, 09, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Smile Best Seats of Singapore Air 747-400

Hello Experienced Travelers!
My husband and I are flying to Vietnam and are most likely going on Singapore Airlines (although the fare doesn't include mileage award and it's not cheap).
But, they go most directly to Danang without having to deal with Hanoi or Saigon. SO, the question is - what are the best economy seats on a 747-400?
My husband is 6 ft. 2, I'm 5 ft. 7 and don't usually sleep well sitting up. (Sorry can't afford business class or first class). Thanks for your input.
Vietnam Bound!
Old Aug 23, 09, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Springtime9 View Post
My husband and I are flying to Vietnam and are most likely going on Singapore Airlines (although the fare doesn't include mileage award and it's not cheap).
But, they go most directly to Danang without having to deal with Hanoi or Saigon. SO, the question is - what are the best economy seats on a 747-400?
My husband is 6 ft. 2, I'm 5 ft. 7 and don't usually sleep well sitting up. (Sorry can't afford business class or first class). Thanks for your input.
Vietnam Bound!
I don't think SQ serves Da Nang - they do it through a codeshare/partner.
Old Aug 23, 09, 1:01 am

Programs: NZ *G
Reckon bmchris has that right.... the only direct "SQ" flight I can find into DAD is a Silk Air codesgare on an A320 (321?)

SQ flies 777's into SGN......
Old Aug 23, 09, 3:13 am

Yup, something is not quite right here!
Old Aug 23, 09, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Springtime9 View Post
SO, the question is - what are the best economy seats on a 747-400?
Vietnam Bound!
I would pay USD50 one way for a preferred seat ( ie EMEX seat ).
Worth it for a long flight, especially since your husband is tall.
Old Aug 23, 09, 6:34 am

Hi Springtime9

It is not clear from your post where you are based, and where you will commence your journey to Danang.

I am assuming that you are doing a long haul flight to Singapore (on a 747-400) before transferring to the Silkair flight to DAD on a Airbus A320 (Silkair are the regional arm of Singapore Airlines – your flight may have a SQ flight number but will be operated by ‘MI’ (Silkair)).

You can find seating recommendations for both Singapore Airlines and Silkair on Seatguru:

http://www.seatguru.com/

Singapore Airlines allow you to select exit row seats (with additional leg room) for a cost of US$50 per flight. You may wish to consider this.

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...erredSeats.jsp

From your comments I sense that you are a bit unhappy about the fare charged by Singapore Airlines. Silkair are currently offering a return fare SIN-DAD for S$290 (applicable thru till the end of October). If you can find a cheap fare to Singapore on another carrier it may be better for you to purchase the SIN-DAD on a separate ticket.

I am also unsure as to why you are reluctant to travel via HAN or SGN. Silkair are a good carrier but you should be aware that it only operates 3 flights a week (Mon/Wed/Fri). Some flights are direct (2 hours,45 minutes) while others go via Siem Reap and take 4 ½ to 5 hours with the stopover. By contrast Vietnam Airlines offer 5 direct flights a day (1 hour, 10 minutes) from Ho Chi Minh City. If you can find a good, cheap flight into SGN (United Airlines?) this may be a better option for you.

Danang is a wonderful town. Best of luck with your travels.
Old Aug 24, 09, 11:56 am

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer
As someone who lived in Bangkok, the choice between Silkair and Vitenam Airlines is a no brainer - Silkair every time. I have used them regularly on the Singapore-Kota Kinabalu route frequently and also to Bali. After a long haul on SQ from London, the relatively short hops on Silkair are great.

Search this Thread