Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honestly, what is wrong with you, SQ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 1:16 am

Programs: Most of them...
Originally Posted by stargold
So, whether you used miles from SQ, LH, NH, OZ, etc etc, any other Star airline FFP than UA and AC
Add SK to the list of pleasant exceptions.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by rbrenton88
The worst part is not having any choice. If I don't pay the extortionistic surcharge, my miles get bled away anyway through aging.

I want back the ~$40,000 my company spent to accumulate these miles. I need a time machine.
Don't you ever read the small print in the FF program directory? Sorry but if you value your miles so much, then it is up to you to know the details of the program you opt for, and that includes which ones tack on various fees and surcharges on awards and which ones don't. Caveat Emptor. (And since it was your employer and not you who paid for the flights on which you earned the miles, don't you think you should have used them for business trips instead?)
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:24 pm

The taxes and charges would have been the same no matter which FFP you use, except for AC and UA that do not charge fuel surcharges (in which case it would be much cheaper).
Excellent benefit ^ AE & MP!
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by 1K+
Excellent benefit ^ AE & MP!
But UA filters so much partner availability as to make it 99% useless... unless you really enjoy flying on UA F or C for the same "price" as NH, OZ, SQ etc...

AC however is excellent. If you fly from Canada to SE Asia, they even allow you to do a "RTW" trip (Pacific one way, Atlantic the other) which means you get to experience all the best of Star carriers in one trip.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:05 am

But UA filters so much partner availability as to make it 99% useless... unless you really enjoy flying on UA F or C for the same "price" as NH, OZ, SQ etc...

AC however is excellent. If you fly from Canada to SE Asia, they even allow you to do a "RTW" trip (Pacific one way, Atlantic the other) which means you get to experience all the best of Star carriers in one trip.
Completely agree with you and no I would never fly UA F or C if NH, OZ, SQ, TG were available.

As for AE, yes I have done several trips in F from Canada to SE Asia as well as Australia for 140k (it's 120k to SE Asia).

e.g. YVR-AC J-LAX-SQ F-NRT-SQ F-SIN-SQ F-SYD-SQ F-SIN-SQ F-LHR-LH J-FRA-LH F-YVR

cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 4:14 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
Fuel & Taxes

Just booked the same SQ flight (Y class), using both MP and KF miles, because I needed multiple tickets. The MP tickets cost me $39 each, plus $25 for booking over the phone (only way to book *A tickets on MP). The KF ticket cost me US$420!

The other very irritating thing is there was plenty of availability for *A tickets on SQ on the dates I was looking at, but no SQ saver awards- so they treat other airlines FF program members better than their own!

Anyone know if there is any workaround by using my KF miles to book flights on other *A carriers, or KF always charges a fuel surcharge, regardless of airlines booked?

Probably will try to use up my remaining KF miles on upgrades, which don't carry fuel surcharges.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by friendlyplanet
Anyone know if there is any workaround by using my KF miles to book flights on other *A carriers, or KF always charges a fuel surcharge, regardless of airlines booked?
OZ and NH have very low fuel surcharges, so you will pay the lower amount even when redeeming through KF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.