Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward travel in First

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Reward travel in First

Has anyone gotten a first class seat using United miles from JFK-FRA on Singapore? I currently have business class and am looking to change to first, but wanted to know if I am wasting my time calling every few days or so.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
It is possible, but I wouldn't waste your time calling.

If you sign up for the ANA mileage club program, you can check availability online for SQ and other carriers. Consider LH F on this route, or LX via ZRH if you are willing to make a connection. Bother have excellent F class products.

Once you find availability, then call. Note that UA does block its own members from using their miles on some routes, so even if you see availability on ANA, you may not be allowed to book it with united miles.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by abouna
Has anyone gotten a first class seat using United miles from JFK-FRA on Singapore? I currently have business class and am looking to change to first, but wanted to know if I am wasting my time calling every few days or so.
I have, multiple times using United miles.

How far out are you looking? When I have found seats, it has usually been within ten days of departure.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by abouna
Keep calling. Things change. Aeroplan screwed up and booked me on Swiss's old A330-200 (when I wanted the new 330-300). I was told no availability on the 300 flight. I called every morning for 6 days. On the 6th day I got it. I'm on a United flight with a long layover in JFK. So I'm still calling every morning to see if I can get on the later flight.

Persistence pays off sometimes.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
I have as well, more than once. I usually book 330 days out.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I am not too sure if this is still the case, but SQ has effectively removed all C/F award seats to/from USA about a month ago. I don't know if it's an error posting to Starnet...but KF members can still redeem saver award seats using their KF miles.

Also, IME, SQ is *rarely* blocked by UA on *net - except when you are 2-4 weeks out.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
I am not too sure if this is still the case, but SQ has effectively removed all C/F award seats to/from USA about a month ago. I don't know if it's an error posting to Starnet...
I am experiencing the same and showed my frustration in the KVS thread. Weird thing is LAX-SIN is still on a 744 and I can understand if they are blocking forward dates where it's rumored that aircraft changever to 77W will take place at some point later this year however dont understand why they have locked dates over the next few days/weeks/months when there F is wide open

cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:26 am

Seems SQ have blocked out *A partner for all rewards in premium longhaul cabins on 744, at least I could not get anything on SIN-FRA, FRA-JFK, SIN-NRT or NRT-LAX on the 744 in C or F.

At the rate they're losing customers (and money) in premium cabins these days I wonder how sustainable that is. Of course, SQ management usually does things its own way, regardless of what customers or others might think.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by view
Seems SQ have blocked out *A partner for all rewards in premium longhaul cabins on 744, at least I could not get anything on SIN-FRA, FRA-JFK, SIN-NRT or NRT-LAX on the 744 in C or F.
Agreed, it's been at least a couple of months since I last saw any O or I class on the SQ11/12/25/26.

Basically, you can't redeem in premium classes to/from the USA anymore. Or most of Europe for that matter - only AMS/FRA/FCO/MAN/CPH remain for Spacebed 772ER in J.

For JFK-FRA, I would seriously be looking at LX new F to ZRH and then onwards to FRA in any case - nice new seats and pretty incredible food too.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsimon
I have, multiple times using United miles.

How far out are you looking? When I have found seats, it has usually been within ten days of departure.
Going August 20th, I currently have business class. I am travel with other people so can't change the route even though there is an LH flight in first available. Plus I have never flown on Singapore and wanted to try it. Maybe something will open close then. Sounds like from some of the other posts that I was lucky to even get business class!
Old Jun 20, 2009, 2:31 am

Programs: UA Plat (farewell DL :-<),Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
Agreed, it's been at least a couple of months since I last saw any O or I class on the SQ11/12/25/26.

Basically, you can't redeem in premium classes to/from the USA anymore. Or most of Europe for that matter - only AMS/FRA/FCO/MAN/CPH remain for Spacebed 772ER in J.

For JFK-FRA, I would seriously be looking at LX new F to ZRH and then onwards to FRA in any case - nice new seats and pretty incredible food too.
I converted some NW Miles to DL Miles and booked LAX-SIN rt in F for November.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by delanet
I converted some NW Miles to DL Miles and booked LAX-SIN rt in F for November.
when did you make this reward reservation?
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm in the same boat as the OP, with a C seat booked for SQ25 JFK-FRA on an F award.

As others noted, something changed at SQ a month or so ago. Award F tended to pretty reliably open up in the ANA tool for this flight 3-4 days prior to departure. Since then, I've only seen Y or nothing.

Unlike the OP I'm not traveling with others and considered switching to the LH flight, but alas UA seems to have entirely shut down redemption of LH awards from now through mid-July, so that is not even an option (despite seats showing available in the ANA tool)
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat (farewell DL :-<),Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by 1K+
when did you make this reward reservation?
Sorry should have spcified, about 2 weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.