Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Bad Decision

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK-Skywards Gold / Delta Gold Medallion/E50K 1MM
SQ Bad Decision

In this economic downturn and the carriers needing revenue, this struck me odd. I had the backend of a ticket SFO-SIN-DXB in First, it was set to expire May 24th (1 Year) I was unable to travel until June 09 and asked if they would extend the validity, the answer was NO. I then proceeded to ask for a refund and I would purchase a ticket on Emirates direct SFO-DXB, the answer again was NO. This was a full fare "F" ticket, I continued to explain to the agent that the rules entitled me to a refund minus a fee. Finally after speaking with another agent they refunded my ticket. What I don't understand is why they would not extend the validity to save a passenger
Old May 6, 2009, 12:05 pm

Poor training, lack of front-line talent, agent didn't take six seconds as recommended sometimes by the airline to consider all circumstances and perhaps a lack of desire to justify common sense to managers/management.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:07 pm

Rules are rules.

One year validity is one year validity.

You're better off with the direct flight to DXB anyway.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK-Skywards Gold / Delta Gold Medallion/E50K 1MM
Originally Posted by macabus
Rules are rules.

One year validity is one year validity.

Rules don't pay the leases! Companies better start chasing the money if they want to survive.

Please don't presume what is "better" for me.
Old May 6, 2009, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rules are rules.

One year validity is one year validity......
I concur.

But the OP needs to purchase a new fare ex-SFO. Fares ex-SFO are higher than ex-DXB, with the nonstop flight on EK the F fare is about double.

Do reservation agents even have the authority to extend a ticket, purchased in outstation, beyond one year validity?

Last edited by TerryK; May 6, 2009 at 1:38 pm
Old May 6, 2009, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AftOf245
Easy there, -- I'm sure that macabus was just making a friendly suggestion/observation.

IMO the problem with not having and following a structured set of rules in this industry is that it's far too easy for chaos to set in. Every agent becomes an arbiter of what's in the carrier's best interest, and that may or may not coincide with the bigger plan. Yes, the loss of your revenue doesn't help the carrier, but might make sense in the bigger picture.
Old May 6, 2009, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Easy there, -- I'm sure that macabus was just making a friendly suggestion/observation.
Exactly.... Thanks.
Old May 6, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: No loyalties, just look for the best deal
Rules don't pay the leases! Companies better start chasing the money if they want to survive.

It's not entirely clear what is your complaint here. SQ, as was correct, refunded your ticket and you could have re-booked on SQ? It was your own choice to re-book on EK?

I've been flying internationally for over 40 years and the one year ticket rule has been in place over that whole period. So why would IATA and the whole aviation industry change the rules just for you?
Old May 7, 2009, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by philipat
It's not entirely clear what is your complaint here. SQ, as was correct, refunded your ticket and you could have re-booked on SQ? It was your own choice to re-book on EK?
Exactly. Nobody forced OP to ticket on other airline.

I've been flying internationally for over 40 years and the one year ticket rule has been in place over that whole period. So why would IATA and the whole aviation industry change the rules just for you?
Depending the ticket validity can be extended by another 12 months.
Old May 7, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: No loyalties, just look for the best deal
Interesting

Depending the ticket validity can be extended by another 12 month
s.

Hey, that's interesting and a new one to me. How does that work? Can any ticket be extended or are you saying that there is a special type of ticket issued with a 2-year validity? I've had several experiences myself with full fare tickets expiring after 1 year and taken the refund route but didn't hold anything against the carrier(s) involved. After all, how many businesses of any type would sell a product/service in advance and maintain a price guarantee for over one year?
Old May 7, 2009, 1:26 pm

Hey, that's interesting and a new one to me. How does that work? Can any ticket be extended or are you saying that there is a special type of ticket issued with a 2-year validity?
One of SQ's Star sisters (AC) has a policy where they will extend an unused ticket for 3 months extra validity with a small fee, so there is precedent. A partially used ticket is however another matter.
Old May 7, 2009, 1:34 pm

Airlines are NOT obligated to bend the rules based on your demand. IF they are, they should've just scrap the rules at the first place.

In general, ticket validity is 12 months. The only exception is AC allows extension by extra 3 months for CAD50 fee plus fare difference and change fee.
Old May 7, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond

In this economic downturn and the carriers needing revenue, this struck me odd. I had the backend of a ticket SFO-SIN-DXB in First, it was set to expire May 24th (1 Year) I was unable to travel until June 09 and asked if they would extend the validity, the answer was NO. I then proceeded to ask for a refund and I would purchase a ticket on Emirates direct SFO-DXB, the answer again was NO. This was a full fare "F" ticket, I continued to explain to the agent that the rules entitled me to a refund minus a fee. Finally after speaking with another agent they refunded my ticket. What I don't understand is why they would not extend the validity to save a passenger
Not used to dealing with SQ staff, are you?

Very consistent rule followers. It can be aggravating at times.

Last edited by Always Flyin; May 13, 2009 at 6:38 pm
Old May 7, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

Trained from birth as rule followers.
Oh yes. In a country where bus drivers won't let you off the bus until literally at the stop (and if that means waiting 3 minutes to travel the last 5 metres to the bus stop because of heavy traffic, despite being alongside a nice safe footpath - bad luck)- there is absolutely no chance of bending the 12 month validity rule for airline tickets...,

Last edited by Guy Betsy; May 8, 2009 at 7:52 am Reason: Removing quote pending review
Old May 8, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
Originally Posted by jiml1126
In general, ticket validity is 12 months. The only exception is AC allows extension by extra 3 months for CAD50 fee plus fare difference and change fee.
Besides AC, has anyone managed to get an extension from other airlines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.