Jakarta Lounge

Old Nov 26, 08, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Jakarta Lounge

I was recently in Jakarta and will be returning there soon.

SQ uses the "Esplanade Lounge," if I remember correctly. The decor of the lounge is just like any SilverKris lounge. I wonder why they don't simply call it a SilverKris Lounge ??? The food offering there is excellent, but the (alcohol) beverage choices are few and bad.

Also, there are several other lounges in the same area. I seem to remember one of them either having an SQ logo or a Star Alliance Gold logo on them. From seveal years ago, I was in one of them and it had waiter service. Is it possible for an SQ pax and a Star Alliance Gold to get into one of those lounged other than the Esplanade Lounge. And is it worth it ??

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 09, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by Braniff View Post
I was recently in Jakarta and will be returning there soon.

SQ uses the "Esplanade Lounge," if I remember correctly. The decor of the lounge is just like any SilverKris lounge. I wonder why they don't simply call it a SilverKris Lounge ??? The food offering there is excellent, but the (alcohol) beverage choices are few and bad.

Also, there are several other lounges in the same area. I seem to remember one of them either having an SQ logo or a Star Alliance Gold logo on them. From seveal years ago, I was in one of them and it had waiter service. Is it possible for an SQ pax and a Star Alliance Gold to get into one of those lounged other than the Esplanade Lounge. And is it worth it ??

Thanks.

On my recent visit to Jakarta, I inquired about this and can now answer my own questions. I thought I'd share.

First, SQ pax can go to any of the three lounges that are all located next to each other. The Esplanade Lounge is for SQ pax only but the other ones are also open to SQ F/C/Star Alliance Gold members. It's basically the same difference as the Silver Kris vs. SATS lounges in SIN. Although, I think the other lounges in Jakarta are quite nice.

Second, I was told that the primary reason for not branding the Esplanade Lounge as a Silver Kris lounge is sensitivity to the fact that Singapore Airlines is so big in Jakarta. They apparently want to keep a "low" profile at the airport so as not to foster resentment among Indonesians.
Old Jan 24, 09, 3:56 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Maybe, but anytime access to SKLs for PPS likely was an issue.
Old Jan 25, 09, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
I've been trying all three lounges over the last four or five months (flying on different airlines, not only SQ).

a) SQ Esplanade Lounge: Nice food and drinks. Relatively quiet. No showers (?). Poor internet (wifi very slow, most pc's provided are broke).
b) Pura Indah Lounge: In my view nicest food and drinks, but tends to be crowded. Too much furniture/cluttered. Showers on request - but nice facilities. Good wifi.
c) Premier Lounge: Nice food and drinks. Can be crowded as well, but less than Pura Inda. Showers on request - o.k. Best wifi of all three (ultra fast).

If you have the choice, it really depends what you want (food, shower, internet, quite athmosphere)?
Old Jan 26, 09, 3:12 am

Programs: KF Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Braniff View Post

Second, I was told that the primary reason for not branding the Esplanade Lounge as a Silver Kris lounge is sensitivity to the fact that Singapore Airlines is so big in Jakarta. They apparently want to keep a "low" profile at the airport so as not to foster resentment among Indonesians.

Keep a low profile ?
Then SQ should not have so many check-in counters.
Many more than what they have at KLIA I believe.
Old Mar 20, 09, 2:25 am

I'm writing form Pura Indah lounge now. I was wondering which lounge to go to as i've not been to any before and eventually paid 150k rupiah to gain entry to this one.

Is the best lounge amongst the 3 available here? The AC is not working very well and it's actually quite hot inside here. Likewise, the food is quite average, compared to the lounges in other airports.

Does anyone know the entry free for the JAS lounge? I think i'll try that one next time.
Old Nov 23, 09, 3:38 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but have a quick question about the lounge situation in CGK. I'm flying SQ F SIN-CGK, and then connecting to a an AirAsia flight. I'm also UA *G, not sure if that'll matter in this case. Will I have access to any lounges?

Thanks for answers in advance,

Chris
Old Nov 24, 09, 8:48 pm

Programs: No loyalties, just look for the best deal
No

In a word, no you won't have any lounge access. Arriving with SQ in T2 you will be required to clear Immigration and customs before transferring (Good luck!) to T3 for an Indonesia Air Asia check-in. Air Asia is an LCC and has no lounges.
Old Nov 29, 09, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by philipat View Post
In a word, no you won't have any lounge access. Arriving with SQ in T2 you will be required to clear Immigration and customs before transferring (Good luck!) to T3 for an Indonesia Air Asia check-in. Air Asia is an LCC and has no lounges.
I might need to clarify. I'm going to save Indonesia for the end of my trip, so after flying into CGK, I'm immediately taking AirAsia to Johor Bahru, so I'll still be in T2. (Dumb backtracking, but I used my stopover on my award for Tokyo.)

This prevents me from having to clear immigration, correct?

And, I'm assuming the lounge SQ uses is not an arrivals lounge, so a *A ticket would be required to access it?

Chris
Old Nov 29, 09, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO View Post
....This prevents me from having to clear immigration, correct?

And, I'm assuming the lounge SQ uses is not an arrivals lounge, so a *A ticket would be required to access it?

Chris
SQ has no arrival lounges, only departure [email protected]:-) I doubt you will be able to access SQ lounge without a departing *A boarding pass.

Checking in for AK could also be a challenge as there is no airside check in desk for AK. You may need to clear immigration.
Old Nov 29, 09, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
SQ has no arrival lounges, only departure [email protected]:-) I doubt you will be able to access SQ lounge without a departing *A boarding pass.

Checking in for AK could also be a challenge as there is no airside check in desk for AK. You may need to clear immigration.
I'm going to attempt to check in online at the lounge in SIN before I leave. That should work, correct? I don't mind clearing the immigration as I have lots of time, but don't really feel like wasting $30 on a visa.

Chris
Old Nov 29, 09, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.9mm,AA ex-EXP,Hy Glob, Acc Plt,HH Dia,Onyx Plt,Mar LT Tit,IHG Spi,RR G,BW Dia,FPC Plt
Chris,

You missed TerryK's point that you need a Star Alliance onward boarding pass to access a Star Alliance lounge. Your onward is on Air Asia.
Old Nov 29, 09, 6:50 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO View Post
I'm going to attempt to check in online at the lounge in SIN before I leave. That should work, correct? I don't mind clearing the immigration as I have lots of time, but don't really feel like wasting $30 on a visa.

Chris
Hi Jayhawk, if you can check in on line prior to leaving SIN, that could be your answer. Last week, helping a young couple with AK tickets in CGK, they did have to exit T2, then reenter and were stung US$10visa and also another 30000indrph departure tax. Keep alert, it so very easy to get pushed in the wrong direction at this airport. Whilst I am there every other week, it still confuses me, one reason I stay with SQ and GA in this region. But your lounge access will be denied on an AK ticket, regards bkkrop
Old Nov 30, 09, 12:22 am

Programs: No loyalties, just look for the best deal
CGK Transit

With the new information, I can confirm what the last posters have said:

1.There are no arrival lounges at CGK T2 but WITH a through Boarding card you CAN transit to another International flight by taking the escalator on the right before going down the slope to Immigration. So if you can do an online checkin in Singapore you will save the USD10 Visa fee (For one week) and the IDR 150K Airport tax for International flights. This assumes that you have no checked bags because if you do the bags would NOT go through, nor would SQ check them through as they have no interline arrangements with Air Asia.

2.WIth a *A Gold Card (Or even PPS for that matter under the present rules) you would NOT be given access to the SQ departure lounge on an Air Asia Boarding card. There are 3 lounges in T2 departures, all down the end near the A Gates and you can, however, pay to enter. I understand it costs about IDR150K but not sure because I have never had to do so.
Old Nov 30, 09, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by philipat View Post
With the new information, I can confirm what the last posters have said:

1.There are no arrival lounges at CGK T2 but WITH a through Boarding card you CAN transit to another International flight by taking the escalator on the right before going down the slope to Immigration. So if you can do an online checkin in Singapore you will save the USD10 Visa fee (For one week) and the IDR 150K Airport tax for International flights. This assumes that you have no checked bags because if you do the bags would NOT go through, nor would SQ check them through as they have no interline arrangements with Air Asia.

2.WIth a *A Gold Card (Or even PPS for that matter under the present rules) you would NOT be given access to the SQ departure lounge on an Air Asia Boarding card. There are 3 lounges in T2 departures, all down the end near the A Gates and you can, however, pay to enter. I understand it costs about IDR150K but not sure because I have never had to do so.
I appreciate the thoroughness of your post.

I, unfortunately, will have to check one bag, so I gather that I would have to clear immigation to pick up my bag and re-check it for AirAsia?

I have plenty of time to do so (3 hours at CGK), but, like I said, would rather skip an unnecessary visa.

Chris

Search this Thread
Search Engine: