Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ old F or New J

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA1MMEXP, DL1MMPM, UAExecPrem, IT Gold, Hilton Dia, SPG PL, Marriott Sil, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC5*
SQ old F or New J

If you had a choice between the old F seats (e.g. 747) or the new J seats (e.g. A340-500), from the West Coast to SIN which would you go with?

Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 3:03 pm

The SQ die hards would probably say that "F is still F".

The SkySuite is an extremely good product. Best to experience it now while it's still alive and the new J will be here for a while.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
F with out a doubt.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Depends...I really like the nonstop flight timings for reducing jet lag, so if that was a factor, I'd prefer:

new J on the nonstop LAX-SIN > F on 744 LAX-NRT-SIN > new J on the 77Ws SFO-SIN.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
The F service and product in the Old config is still pretty good.
If convenience is not a factor I would go with F over the new C
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
On product alone, F is still very good and blows the pants off C, even new C so I would always choose F. Schedule, however, is another matter, and the nonstop flights LAX-SIN are nice.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:21 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Just an FYI no PJ's or amenity kit in C only in F if that matters in your decision process.

Also have to ask anyone have any word on when SQ 11 will switch over to a different bird, A380, 777 or 340?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I even prefer old F over new F. This one is a no brainer.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
Why is that?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by justforfun
I'm with justforfun -- 744 F wins over the 77W F for me because of the superior sleeping experience at 6'3". IFE on the 77W is nice but the seat in the 744 is plenty wide enough.

To the original question, F over the new C is a no-brainer, and even more so if you're on the tall side and want to sleep.

All IMHO, of course.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:43 pm

Programs: VS Gold
I was just recently sleepless on old SQ F... it's narrow and so HOT! I hope the new F gives you more space and better ventilation!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by maxmin
I was just recently sleepless on old SQ F... it's narrow and so HOT! I hope the new F gives you more space and better ventilation!
You're right about the heat -- but the problem has naught to do with either the aircraft or the seat: it's where the cabin crew sets the nightime thermostat.

With all the bedding, plus pjs in F, overheated cabins can be a real problem....I've had comfortable and uncomfortable flights on both 744s and 77Ws. I just ask them to turn down the temperature in F; if they do, sleeping is much easier.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
My main problems with new F:

1. It doesn't recline enough in the lounge position.
2. You need to get up to make it into a bed.
3. You have to be 100% flat in the bed mode.

I've found that I actually can't sleep on fully-flat seats/beds. I always need my head to be a little higher. In new F that's not possible. And I really like to lounge, put the seat back and watch tv and drink, but again, that's not really possible in new F.

I've flown Cathay's new F 5-6 times, and I think they got it just right. It goes from seat to bed without needing to get up, which means you can sleep at any angle you want. It's very well padded, and is extremely wide. I absolutely love it.

I always thought old F and the entire F cabin was just the epitome of style and elegance.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
1B on 744 F is the most private seat on a commercial flight! You've got to enjoy it before the 744's are retired! I just enjoyed it from SIN-MEL a few weeks back. It's pretty amazing to fall asleep with nothing but a painting in front of you and windows to both sides
Old Nov 25, 2008, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyyz
1B on 744 F is the most private seat on a commercial flight! You've got to enjoy it before the 744's are retired! I just enjoyed it from SIN-MEL a few weeks back. It's pretty amazing to fall asleep with nothing but a painting in front of you and windows to both sides
I was wondering this very thing myself. My first time on SQ and I have 4 longhaul sectors in F over xmas and new year and on all but one booked into 1B. But I do like staring out of the windows, more so then absolute privacy.... should I stick to 1B then or move to 2A?

(I know, its a nice problem to have to deal with!!! )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.