FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   JFK-SIN on SIAs 747; best seats for a family of four? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/799199-jfk-sin-sias-747-best-seats-family-four.html)

flyr16 Mar 8, 2008 10:02 am

JFK-SIN on SIAs 747; best seats for a family of four?

We are in the category of those people involuntarily "bumped" off the EWR-SIN non stop as a result of SIA's switch to all business seating. We have been told that we've been transferred to the JFK-FRA-SIN flights. Our ultimate destination is Bali.

Assuming we keep these flights, does anyone have a suggestion for the best/most comfortable seats? We are four people, two adults and two pre-teens. We always seek out two rows of two, and sit that way. Raising the armrest we can then lean on each other and otherwise try to get comfortable. SIA's 747s are, apparently, 3-4-3 seating, which stinks for us. As for the 4 middle seats, both my son and daughter really want a window, and also lean on it to sleep a bit. Is a bulkhead an option? Yet, those armrests may not raise up, I think.

As for the route itself, we may have the option to switch to TG via BKK, a partner airline with SIA (our 4 tkts are a combination of paid and FF). However, the TG flight over doesn't connect to a Bali flight on the same day so we would have to spend the evening in BKK. That would be great, we love BKK, but we've been there. In contrast, we've never been to Singapore, where our plan was to spend a couple of days after Bali. And, the JFK-FRA-SIN does connect us in Singapore to a flt to DPS the same morning we arrive in Singapore. Any other SIA partner airline that could get us all the way to DPS from NYC? Thanks.

fone Mar 8, 2008 11:35 am

Hmm, so SIA downgraded people from Exec Econ to Economy for the affected flights? Any refund for the fare difference? Did you argue with them that you had a connecting flight?

On your question, yes the bulkhead / exit row armrests cannot be raised due to the tray table in the armrests. Not too sure about center rows as there are 5 armrests for 4 tables. I took the exit row at the sides where all 4 armrests cannot be raised.

ph-ndr Mar 8, 2008 1:21 pm

A quick suggestion:

You in 2A, wife in 11A, kids in 64A-D?

-A ;)

fone Mar 8, 2008 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by ph-ndr (Post 9378629)
A quick suggestion:

-A ;)

I think they are looking for economy seats. If they can afford to first / business, I do not see why they are bumped off the all business flight.

Axey Mar 8, 2008 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by ph-ndr (Post 9378629)
A quick suggestion:

Best suggestion! :D

flyr16 Mar 8, 2008 9:21 pm

Yes, front of the plane form Mom and Dad and back of the plane for the kids. While that sounds appealing, I fear that about 10 minutes after takeoff we would have two pre-teens sneaking to the front of the plane and asking, "what about us......?"

Yes, we are looking for economy seats. The price difference easily pays for the vacation. Thanks.

jetsetkiwi Mar 8, 2008 10:12 pm

Why not just do the same, and leave the aisle seats free in both rows?

ph-ndr Mar 8, 2008 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by fone (Post 9379734)
I think they are looking for economy seats. If they can afford to first / business, I do not see why they are bumped off the all business flight.

I assume you are immune to the odd tounge in cheek suggestion? :)

I did read the post and was merely suggesting this as a bit og humor, nothing else.

-A

lee_apromise Mar 8, 2008 11:29 pm

61 & 62 AC or HK.

fone Mar 8, 2008 11:47 pm

Hmm, back of the plane has 2 seats for the sides, but that would also mean being near the lavatories, its a give and take and normally they serve from the front, thus your choices for meals may be limited. Choosing special meals online may result in you having your meals before the others.

jetsetkiwi Mar 9, 2008 12:12 am

Fone,

Flew on the 777 with my father from BNE-SIN, so not sure if its the same- Sat in the very last 2 seats of the plane- Was great! I also thought it might be noisy, but was pretty quiet. For us, the food was also served from the back- But then again its a 777 not a 747

fone Mar 9, 2008 1:46 am

Yup, I did remember that SQ may serve food from the back too. But I haven't flown SQ in a while, just United. But I have never liked seating towards the back, more noise (engine or people) and less comfortable (turbulence etc). As for the noise part from the people, 777 has the lavatories towards the middle of the plane with only 1 at the back plus the gallery, while the 747 has 4 lavatories at the back with no gallery. I wouldn't expect the staff to be too noisy but I cant say so for passengers.

9V-SIA Mar 9, 2008 3:33 am

JFK-SIN on SIAs 747; best seats for a family of four

May I direct you to seatguru.com. A very useful website to choose your seats on any airline.

Rows 61,62,63,64 Seats A,C,H,K are twin seats at the tail by the window

flyr16 Mar 9, 2008 2:43 pm

I didn't realize there are rows of two in the back of the 747, or had thought there was just one row, right next the bathroom. We recently flew GRU to JFK with AA with seats right near the lavatory; that's something we don't want to do again.

The two seats of two may be our best bet and I will see what bargaining power we have with SIA.

On the "price difference" between the non stop and the one stop via FRA, yes there is a difference and yes I think we are entitled to a refund on that. But, when I first ticketed the price difference was about $400 or so. Now, I'm not sure if there is much, if any, difference between the JFK flights I'm now on and what we paid for the EWR non stop awhile back. Boy, that is another kick in the head .........
Thanks