Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Downgrades SIN-KUL and VV from F to J

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
SQ Downgrades SIN-KUL and VV from F to J

I have two upcoming bookings, SQ108 on 4 April SIN-KUL and SQ107 9 April, both of which have been "rebooked" by SQ as Business Class.

Although the F service to KUL and return was always J seats, it was nice to have F status. I haven't seen a price change, and suspect it's related to the opening up of the route to the LCCs.

It also appears some flights (e.g. Sq119 on 9 April) might still have F.

The SQ booking site only shows economy availability, suggesting they are still sorting it out.

Anyone shed light?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:01 am
Suspended

And hopefully we will soon be able to book online J class award flights originating from KUL
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:05 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
F class on this route gives great earning rate on NZ FFP. It would be a shame if they change this to C class.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Oh there goes the cheapest access to the F lounge!

I'm guessing that MH will do the same. Darn the F lounge in KLIA was on my to-do list, now I won't have a chance to check it out.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:04 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Looks like it is effective 01 APR. This will thankfully get me out of economy when on CPSTAR tickets. Man that burns me to be on one of these and get stuck in the back of the bus.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:24 am
Suspended

MH Golden Lounge

Originally Posted by fimo
I'm guessing that MH will do the same. Darn the F lounge in KLIA was on my to-do list, now I won't have a chance to check it out.
Honestly, I dont find much difference between the F and C sections of the KUL Golden Lounge.

The MH F Lounge is way overated on FT ......
Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I'm not too surprised this changed since it was a cheap way to get F lounge access and disserviced through J pax. Why SQ didn't put through J pax in "F" like US carriers do is beyond me.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Angry

I previously booked flights SIN-KUL on 4 July 2008 and KUL-SIN-LAX on 7 July 2008.

When I checked the booking online, they had erased my seat preferences for the KUL-SIN shuttle segments. When I went back in to put my seat preferences again, the website shows me as having TWO flights each day, one in F and the other in J, for the same exact flight...aiyo!

When, oh when, will SQ stop changing changing changing their @#$! planes, classes, etc?!

As others have said, so much for the great NZ Airpoints earning rate, LOL.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by RandyNZ
When, oh when, will SQ stop changing changing changing their @#$! planes, classes, etc?!

As others have said, so much for the great NZ Airpoints earning rate, LOL.
Well, to be fair, this is the first change to the class and fare system on the SIN-KUL route for, errr, 35 years, and I'm sure the bug on your booking will iron out in the next couple of days...

The reason the route was offered in F and Y only was to do with the legacy bilateral agreement with Malaysia, which nobody had touched for fear of allowing Air Asia onto the route. It was never an F service onboard beyond F napkins and tableware, so it was a total anomaly on the network. Now that the air services agreement is liberalised, SQ and MH can do whatever they want to the route, so why maintain F (...except in order to allow all of us FTers cut price F lounge access )

Originally Posted by mario33
And hopefully we will soon be able to book online J class award flights originating from KUL
...and paid flights too. While the clunky SQ booking engine could just about handle the non-availability of J out of KUL, it is impossible to get Expedia or almost any other online booking engine to price anything from KUL via SIN in C, except by using the once daily JL flight
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:09 pm

For me, it's really about losing 20 APD each flight with my NZ Airpoints account, even though paying the same price

For such a short flight, being in a biz seat and the service is not really a priority for me.

I must admit I'm getting dizzy with all the changes that SQ is going thru - I've fallen victim to the SQ27/28 changes out of LAX, as well as deciding to reroute until I find out what is really happening and when with the SQ37/38 A345 out of LAX. And then I read about other rapid changes, like increasing and quickly decreasing frequency of flights in/out of MAN, etc.

Yes, market changes do drive all these things, but I wonder if SQ management has someone in a manic phase making all these decisions!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:22 pm

Hmm, so it seems.

[KVS Availability Tool 3.0.5/Platinum - Apollo: ITN/US-ARL]
Code:
SIN  Singapore Changi SG [WSSS]
KUL  Kuala Lumpur Int'l MY [WMKK]
THU  10 Apr 2008

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- -------------------------- 
SQ        102    SIN  07:10     KUL  08:05     772  0    Z4 C4 J4 D2 S9 Y9 B9 E9 M9 H9 Q9 W9 N9 V9 T9 L9 K0
SQ        106    SIN  08:35     KUL  09:30     772  0    Z4 C4 J4 D2 S9 Y9 B9 E9 M9 H9 Q9 W9 N9 V9 T9 L9 K0
SQ        108    SIN  12:45     KUL  13:40     772  0    Z4 C4 J4 D2 S9 Y9 B9 E9 M9 H9 Q9 W9 N9 V9 T9 L9 K9
SQ        112    SIN  15:10     KUL  16:05     772  0    Z4 C4 J4 D2 S9 Y9 B9 E9 M9 H9 Q9 W9 N9 V9 T9 L9 K9
SQ        116    SIN  17:00     KUL  17:55     772  0    Z4 C4 J4 D2 S9 Y9 B9 E9 M9 H9 Q9 W9 N9 V9 T9 L9 K9
SQ        118    SIN  20:00     KUL  20:55     772  0    Z4 C4 J4 D2 S9 Y9 B9 E9 M9 H0 Q0 W0 N0 V0 T0 L9 K9
First Class still seems available on MH.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
This is amazing! ^^

Finally, through J class tickets can be booked for SIN-KUL on airlines other than UL/JL

Cheers,
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by RandyNZ
For me, it's really about losing 20 APD each flight with my NZ Airpoints account, even though paying the same price
Frustrating huh? I had planned to do a mileage run on this route again but not sure if I still want to do it so it seems. Sometimes you just have to love the logic (or lack thereof) of the Airpoints program.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Why are you complaining about Airpoints? NZ have nothing to do with the decision.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Why are you complaining about Airpoints? NZ have nothing to do with the decision.
Not complaining about Airpoints per se, rather SQs downgrading the service to J and thus decreasing APD earned. Not a huge difference, mind you, and not the end of the world, but still a bit of a disappointment. I usually earn more than I need to requalify, but don't rack up top level elite in multiple programs like you do (you must have an amazing immune system to fly that much)!

At least the good news is that others now will apparently have better award/ticketing availability with SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.