FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   SQ T-3 SKL Lounge report on Jan 9, 2008 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/777032-sq-t-3-skl-lounge-report-jan-9-2008-a.html)

Carfield Jan 9, 2008 9:23 am

SQ T-3 SKL Lounge report on Jan 9, 2008

SQ new Terminal Three report January 9, 2008:

Photo link:
Changi Airport Terminal Three:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqJ6Y

SQ Lounge:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqJ4Q

I have the fortune to be able to travel to Kuala Lumpur from Hong Kong via Singapore on January 9. The ticket was a redemption ticket on Singapore Airlines’ First Class, which allowed me access to the brand new SKL lounge at Terminal Three. Since all flights from Hong Kong (North Asia) will arrive at T-3 from now on, I have the fortune to arrive at T-3 on the first day of operation. I am not going to do a report on the flights, but menus will be posted at sqtalk and flyertalk’s related threads.

The new terminal three was simply amazing, and way better than the slightly older terminal two and way ahead of Terminal one. High ceiling, natural lights, interesting designs, a giant shopping mall and food court, a very soothing relaxing area, including a water pond, an indoor garden, a water fall, scents of flowers, and artwork make the new terminal three a new concept for airport architecture. The new Skytrain is easily located throughout the terminals, Pier A and B on T-3, and now towards C and D at Terminal One, and E and F at Terminal Two. I don’t think I need to say much and the photo album will convey my impression (and indeed how impress I am with the new Terminal three).

Since my flight arrived around 2pm, most of the inaugural ceremonies were over, except the live entertainment all day on January 9 at the garden area and staffs passing out special T-3 caps. But much staffs were touring the terminal three throughout the day and everyone was simply amazed.

The other highlight of this three-hour layover is the access towards the brand new Silver Kris Lounge. There is no doubt that the brand new Silver Kris Lounge at Terminal three is dramatically different from terminal one and the lounge is beautiful. Finally the SKL at SIN looks like a proper flagship lounge. The high ceiling and natural flights and new mood lighting are welcomed and the first class section still lacks a wide window overseeing the tarmac, but better than before. I am not going to add much to my earlier comment. So I will keep it here. The bathrooms are not yet available yet, so I am not sure if you can take a shower at T-3 now. I am sure it will be fixed soon. But I don’t have any details about the new bathroom facilities. About a separate Suite Class section, I am sorry to report that none is available, or at least for now. (But sincerely I think the suite class is just a gimmick for now and once other airlines get their A380s, the suite class will slowly becoming first again.) Marble also makes another prominent characteristic at the lounge.

Overall Impression:
- High Ceiling and increased natural light make a dramatical different in the overall ambience.
- The Marble floor with brown colored carpet adds elegance to the lounge.
- Business Class section also uses black leather armchairs and warmer shade of blue colors…
- First Class lounge uses a more beige colored tone (beige leather walls are visible), and large brown leather armchairs.

Highlights about the First Class Lounge:
- The Beige color leather theme and the brownish tone definitely add more elegance to the product, which matches SQ's own brand new onboard products and the new first class seats. Marble is also another theme in both first and business class lounges.
- The furniture pieces are all designer type with a mix of Orientalism and Western modern style. There is a subtle Asian/Oriental theme, such as the chairs with the gold leaves design and the stools with the subtle Asian design. The bar has an Asian style pattern on top, and the Asian theme is definitely in the background, unlike CX, very Western design.
- Seating capacity - it does not look much larger than before, which concerns me for future references. As of now, the SKL F section during the pre-Jan 9 days was often packed in the morning and late evening rush hours. It is interesting to see how the number will work in the near future, since there are two separate terminals.
- Only two computers - SONY VAIO...
- Food area - I don't like it... It is too much like a canteen and the dining area lacks the exclusiveness of first class. It is still self-service with staffs assisting. The food selection is very disappointing - not much improved from the past. But I am here on the first day and on non-traditional meal times. Red armchairs and brown tables are used here, but I think first class should be more restaurant style, like CX and LH.
- There is still no personal waiter/waitress service like CX, but the staffs are more on hand to help you out with food and beverage selections.

Business Class lounge:
- It is a large lounge with lots of space, so the concern of the lounge being packed does not apply for the J section. Visually, the lounge is so much larger now because of the high ceiling and bright lights and some view of the tarmac. Natural light is definitely nice, and capacity should not be a big problem now.
- The New Dining area is large and I honestly think the food selection in Business Class is better with at least three rows of various cold and hot food. (F only has a single row of food.) There is a also a long cafeteria table on the side… marble table, but I just don’t like that feeling of a dining hall, no matter how high class it is.
- New MAC computers dominate the new Business Center, but still no printing service.

In general, I think the new T-3 SKL is a major improvement from the past, and finally achieves a flagship lounge standard, but my top lounge is still Lufthansa's First Class Terminal and CX's "The WING" and "THE PIER" are still nicer. The design is amazing, but first class section still lacks a personal element and the business facility is still lacking, and the dining area is still a let down. Much can be done here!

Oh - no one stopped me from using the new T-3 lounge, even though my flight was departing from T-2. I am sure some people will venture over here just to use a newer lounge facility.

I know not all people will agree with me, but I hope you will respect my comment. I am sure the pictures will give you a good idea on what it looks like and maybe you can come up with your own conclusion.

Hope someone can keep us updated on the SKL development and hopefully food will be better.

Carfield

Jaffar Jan 9, 2008 9:58 am

Thanks for posting the pics. The new SKL definitely looks like an improvement.

I notice there is still no ice cream in either the F and C section. Why did SQ remove this completely? :confused:

kevino Jan 9, 2008 11:50 am

Nice pics. Thanks.

Not enough computer terminals in the first class lounge, esp. compared with the business class lounge. I guess they figure first class pax don't use computers? :confused:

Are the new lounges open 24 hours? Can Star Alliance golds get into the business class lounge? Thanks.

aurigakb Jan 9, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks for the pictures! Feels like I've been there!

rolov Jan 9, 2008 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by kevino (Post 9035986)
Nice pics. Thanks.

Not enough computer terminals in the first class lounge, esp. compared with the business class lounge. I guess they figure first class pax don't use computers? :confused:

Are the new lounges open 24 hours? Can Star Alliance golds get into the business class lounge? Thanks.

An SQ rep gave me a tour of the lounge yesterday and he explained that
the business center with all the apple computers can be accessed from the F lounge and the Business Class lounge and it will be shared by F and C passengers.

As far as the access for Star Gold, i think you only get access to the new KF
Gold Lounge, which is very nice as well.

justforfun Jan 9, 2008 5:10 pm

Thanks for the report! Gotta love how quickly we get things done around here.

The lounges look great. Elegant. My one question is what differentiates First from Biz, aside from First maybe being a little quieter? Any extra amenities in the First lounge? If not, then it's a bit of a disappointment. No spa, no restauruant, nothing innovative?

RandyNZ Jan 9, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks for the pics and report - I have to unfortunately wait until June to check it out in person after AKL-SIN on the 77W, and am hoping to do an overnight at the Crowne Plaza whilst waiting for a friend to join me the next morning!

Guy Betsy Jan 9, 2008 5:16 pm

Me too at T3

Here I am waiting for SQ16 today to ICN. But a word of warning. SQ only has one SKL and its at the A wing. Most US bound flights are parked at B wing. A good 18 mins of brisk walking.

I'm at the SKL Business Class section.

People - please note that there is only one store selling electronics at T3 - Duffrys or something like it. I just found out they are charging $120 more for a shaver that is being offered at Tangs downtown!

I thought they should be the same as the city prices less GST?

rolov Jan 9, 2008 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 9038093)
Here I am waiting for SQ16 today to ICN. But a word of warning. SQ only has one SKL and its at the A wing. Most US bound flights are parked at B wing. A good 18 mins of brisk walking.

I'm at the SKL Business Class section.

People - please note that there is only one store selling electronics at T3 - Duffrys or something like it. I just found out they are charging $120 more for a shaver that is being offered at Tangs downtown!

I thought they should be the same as the city prices less GST?

I think it depends what you are looking to buy.
I was looking at Tag Heuer watches at many stores in the city and the lowest price i found , was at the new Tag store in T3 , about 50 USD cheaper than the Tag store in the shopping center near the Mandarin Oriental.

kevino Jan 9, 2008 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by rolov (Post 9037852)
An SQ rep gave me a tour of the lounge yesterday and he explained that
the business center with all the apple computers can be accessed from the F lounge and the Business Class lounge and it will be shared by F and C passengers.

As far as the access for Star Gold, i think you only get access to the new KF
Gold Lounge, which is very nice as well.

Thanks for the info. :)

Does anyone know if the new SKL is open 24 hours? I assume it is like the one in T2.

Also, can a person with an SQ business class ticket invite a Star Alliance guest into the business class lounge?

aerosmith Jan 9, 2008 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by kevino (Post 9038293)
Does anyone know if the new SKL is open 24 hours? I assume it is like the one in T2.

Also, can a person with an SQ business class ticket invite a Star Alliance guest into the business class lounge?

1. According to the SQ website, T3 SKL is open 24 hours

2. Only with *G status can a SQ business class ticket holder bring in a guest (same day departing *A flight) into the J side of T2 or T3 SKL

kevino Jan 9, 2008 7:06 pm

Thanks!

aerosmith Jan 9, 2008 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by rolov (Post 9037852)
An SQ rep gave me a tour of the lounge yesterday and he explained that the business center with all the apple computers can be accessed from the F lounge and the Business Class lounge and it will be shared by F and C passengers.

Is there a "security control" point to prevent J passengers to sneak into the F lounge via this business centre? :D

rolov Jan 9, 2008 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by aerosmith (Post 9038763)
Is there a "security control" point to prevent J passengers to sneak into the F lounge via this business centre? :D

I was one of the first people in the new C lounge and there was no one in the F lounge when i got the tour, only cooks and other personnel doing last minute work. Even peeling the plastic from some of the couches.
There were also SQ staff walking around the entrances and in the business center , so i cannot say for sure if someone will be monitoring the access from either side of the lounge.

docpepz Jan 9, 2008 10:14 pm

To Guy Betsy:

Which shaver were you looking at Dufry's that was $120 more expensive than Tang's?

Anyhow I was doing some price checks on 5 digital cameras that a friend in Australia wanted to buy. At the end of my investigation, Dufry's Electronics in Changi was the same price as Mustafa for 3 of them, and cheaper by $5 to $10 for the other 2. Pretty surprising!