Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SIA's A380 flight services to take off on Oct 28

SIA's A380 flight services to take off on Oct 28

Old Sep 12, 07, 5:51 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The sky is my home
Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i
Posts: 2,967
SIA's A380 flight services to take off on Oct 28

Sep 12, 2007
SIA's A380 flight services to take off on Oct 28


SINGAPORE Airlines (SIA) will begin flight services with the new Airbus A380 between Singapore and Sydney on Oct 28.

The A380 will operate a daily return flight, replacing one of the three Boeing 747-400 services on the route, said SIA in a statement on Wednesday.

The aircraft will operate SQ221, departing Singapore in the evening and arriving into Sydney in the early morning, and return as SQ220, departing Sydney in the morning and arriving into Singapore in the early afternoon.

The 471-seat aircraft is divided into three classes: 12 Singapore Airlines Suites on the main deck; 60 Business Class on the upper deck; and 399 Economy Class seats on both decks.

The Business and Economy Class cabin products are modelled on those launched in late 2006 and currently featuring on the Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.

The new Singapore Airlines Suites will be unveiled at the delivery of the A380 in October.

Copyright 2007 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
CDG1 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 7:39 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE & SE Asia, N America
Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Posts: 3,105
I'm booked on SQ221 for Nov. 1 and SQ220 for Nov. 4. Looking forward to flying on the 380 during it's first week of regular service. I would have liked to have changed my dates to be on the first regular service on Oct. 28, but cannot change my business appointments to those dates.
A_Lee is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 7:46 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WAS * LIH * CPT
Programs: SQ * UA * QF * AF
Posts: 147
I'm R-booked on SQ221 for Oct. 28 and SQ220 for Oct. 31.
R is indeed used for SQ Suites and used to be AF fare class for Concorde flights until May 2003.
Malonda is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 8:04 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE & SE Asia, N America
Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Posts: 3,105
Looks like they're charging a SGD 2,500 premium for A380 R seats over B747 F seats. I guess they'll be charging a hefty premium for award seats in R as well.
A_Lee is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 8:23 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The sky is my home
Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i
Posts: 2,967
Award seats in R?
You must be joking!

Earlier today, I sent out a request to my friend who is a supervisor with United Airlines. She is 60+ with zillion years experience on the job. I gave her the complete infromation on the new A380 flights starting Oct. 28.

This is the answer I received:

Bonjour

Concerning free award tickets with the new SQ:

I took a look, and absolutely no First class are even shown
, only business and y class.

Then there are no seats left in business class not even until next summer 2008!

Then and then there are seats in Y class...

BEST regards


Good luck getting award R/J seats on the A380, mate!

Originally Posted by A_Lee View Post
Looks like they're charging a SGD 2,500 premium for A380 R seats over B747 F seats. I guess they'll be charging a hefty premium for award seats in R as well.
CDG1 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 8:30 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The sky is my home
Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i
Posts: 2,967
The HUGE difference being that the A380 is NOT Concorde!
They will never be able to outperform Concorde by any standard!
Other than their ultra-sophisticated avionics, the A380s are just like any regular old plane... so slo-o-o-o-wwww!!!!!!!!!!


Originally Posted by Malonda View Post
‘R’ is indeed used for SQ Suites and used to be AF fare class for Concorde flights until May 2003.

Last edited by CDG1; Sep 12, 07 at 8:42 am
CDG1 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 8:39 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: somewhere north of stateside...
Posts: 3,663
Exactly. Although, if SIA can fill the seats, all the power to them.
makin'miles is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 9:21 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Little dot on map
Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Posts: 25,749
Incidentally, I just checked the fares... and SQ is forcing that if anyone chooses the A380 flights in F, that the fares 'break' in SIN even though you are just connecting through. So no matter if you bought your tickets in BOM, CMB or BKK, your fare will be raised somewhat to the HIP which is Singapore.

SQ is smart in that it chooses R as the class code with no other 'discounted' fares in F. Anyone attempting to originate from another place where the currency and fare is low, ie BKK even in F has to have R combined into it which effectively changes the fare to the higher amount!

SQ's normal F fare from SIN to SYD return is US$ 4725. But the A380's fare in R class raises it up to US$ 6800.

If booking a full F class ticket from BKK to SYD return via SIN, fare would be US$4566 + 280 tax.
That's with any flight from SIN to SYD. But the minute you book on the A380 flight in R, as there is no F much less A class, the fare changes. The fare calculation breaks the fare at SIN, and raises the entire fare to : US$ 6315 + 280 tax. If you want 2 A380 flights, the fare becomes: US$ 8063 + 280 !


Last edited by Guy Betsy; Sep 12, 07 at 9:42 am
Guy Betsy is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 9:54 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Posts: 12,309
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Incidentally, I just checked the fares... and SQ is forcing that if anyone chooses the A380 flights in F, that the fares 'break' in SIN even though you are just connecting through. So no matter if you bought your tickets in BOM, CMB or BKK, your fare will be raised somewhat to the HIP which is Singapore.

SQ is smart in that it chooses R as the class code with no other 'discounted' fares in F. Anyone attempting to originate from another place where the currency and fare is low, ie BKK even in F has to have R combined into it which effectively changes the fare to the higher amount!

SQ's normal F fare from SIN to SYD return is US$ 4725. But the A380's fare in R class raises it up to US$ 6800.

If booking a full F class ticket from BKK to SYD return via SIN, fare would be US$4566 + 280 tax.
That's with any flight from SIN to SYD. But the minute you book on the A380 flight in R, as there is no F much less A class, the fare changes. The fare calculation breaks the fare at SIN, and raises the entire fare to : US$ 6315 + 280 tax. If you want 2 A380 flights, the fare becomes: US$ 8063 + 280 !

Amazing.... I remember years ago I bought a Concorde ticket Europe-US. Had I purchased just LHR-JFK, it would have been about $6000 USD one way. But I had the ticket start in Italy, and my routing was:
Pisa-Gatwick (BA, C)
Heathrow-JFK (BA, R)
JFK-LAX (UA, F)

All for about $4000.

The fare didn't break in LHR, but rather, it was a PSA-LAX fare one way fare. (It would have been a little less if the LHR-JFK were in F, but not much).
zrs70 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 10:08 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Little dot on map
Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Posts: 25,749
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
Amazing.... I remember years ago I bought a Concorde ticket Europe-US. Had I purchased just LHR-JFK, it would have been about $6000 USD one way. But I had the ticket start in Italy, and my routing was:
Pisa-Gatwick (BA, C)
Heathrow-JFK (BA, R)
JFK-LAX (UA, F)

All for about $4000.

The fare didn't break in LHR, but rather, it was a PSA-LAX fare one way fare. (It would have been a little less if the LHR-JFK were in F, but not much).
I bought such a ticket too, but originated from CAI. The booking fare required the flights be booked in "A" class. Which the Concorde flights had in addition to "R" class. My fare turned out to be a mistake fare but as it has to be issued in Egypt only, not many people knew about it. I was in Cairo at the time and promptly issued the ticket. CAI-LHR-NYC-LHR-CAI, stopover in LHR both ways and CAI-LHR return was in F. I paid US$2500 !

SQ's A380 flights only have one booking code: R.
Guy Betsy is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 10:54 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Travelling
Programs: One World Emerald; Star Alliance Gold; KLM Platinum
Posts: 61
Downgrade from first (A) to business class on A380

Just wondering - Holding first class ticket SIN~SYD (Booking class A) in November (SQ 219) - Would it be possible to change flight (SQ 221) and downgrade to business class (Z,D,C,J) onboard the A380 ??
Uldall is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 1:27 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,440
What I am wondering if first class on Circle Pacific or RTWs, normally booked in A, are not permitted on the A380?
chuck1 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 3:01 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 11,370
Originally Posted by chuck1 View Post
What I am wondering if first class on Circle Pacific or RTWs, normally booked in A, are not permitted on the A380?
There is no A booking class on A380. Only R class, and C/Y classes.
TerryK is online now  
Old Sep 12, 07, 4:03 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YYZ
Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS SPG PLAT(LTP) HHDiamond Marriott PLAT
Posts: 4,232
Originally Posted by chuck1 View Post
What I am wondering if first class on Circle Pacific or RTWs, normally booked in A, are not permitted on the A380?
Nope. And if you have a booking already on 380 SIN-SYD-SIN,SQ will go in and change it to "R". from "F". I cannot speak for "A" booking.
yyzprincess is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 4:30 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 301
booked roundtrip A380 flights

OK I could NOT resist, iam booked on the 28th for SIN-SYD, arrive into SIN on the morning of the 25th to watch the First A380 Inaugural flight take off, then will enjoy my trip on the BEAST on the 28th Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

A380 back on Nov 4th.

I tried to book a fare with a stop over on SQ website, but kept coming up with only 747 flights and one A380 sector, so bit the bullet and booked two seperate flights.
Qatar Airways is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: