FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The infamous JFK-FRA SQ25 Route (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/724575-infamous-jfk-fra-sq25-route.html)

BrianJ Aug 12, 2007 1:18 pm

The infamous JFK-FRA SQ25 Route

I am going on a trip to Germany in early 2008 and had a few questions regarding this route. I know it's talked about often and though I've tried searching the forums, I have not found answers to these specific questions:

1. Though the price differences are huge, I am debating Y or Raffles class. I've heard that these particular 747s on this route are of the "older" configuration. I've never flown SQ before, so is Raffles significantly better than Y on these particular aircraft?

2. If I get a Raffles seat, will I get lounge access anywhere in JFK or FRA? I rarely to never fly Star Alliance carriers and have no status on any *A airline, but would the Raffles seat be sufficient to have lounge access at either a United lounge or a Swiss Lounge, Lufthansa, etc?

3. I take it alcohol is served complimentary in both classes? Are there any restrictions to this (for example, only wine in Y while Raffles gets mixed drinks, etc)?

4. There is a post (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=sq25) that asks about the seating configuration on the 747 and no real answer was given as to what particular aircraft it is (either in reference to seatguru OR SQ's 747 Aircraft Seat Configuration info on their website). They have configurations with 303, 306, 310 Y class seats. Anyone know which particular ones serve the JFK-FRA route?

5. Lastly, and this question is broader than this forum, but for those travelers who do "hop the pond" more often, would you say flying SQ to FRA is the best option to get to Germany?

Thanks in advance for the help!

meducate Aug 12, 2007 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by BrianJ (Post 8218444)

5. Lastly, and this question is broader than this forum, but for those travelers who do "hop the pond" more often, would you say flying SQ to FRA is the best option to get to Germany?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I can't answer questions 1-4, but I can tell you that since UA cut out JFK-LHR, I almost only fly SQ when I am heading to Europe. The one exception is when I have a simple JFK-LHR RT, I usually book VS UC.

I find the SQ flight to be at a good time in the evening (9:20PM), so I can have a drink (or 2 or 3), have a nice meal quickly and get 6ish hours of sleep. Arrival at 11AM is nice, and there are easy and good connections should you nee dto go beyond Germany. I reallllly like the return flight, SQ 26, as I land at 10:50AM in NY, very rarely have any queue at Immigration and Customs at JFK and get home to enjoy most of the day.

SQ service in C or F is awesome, and I get my UA miles ^.

I know that LH has more flights at other times, but I am a fan of SQ^^

Savage25 Aug 12, 2007 1:42 pm

I've done this flight a few times in both Y and C...

1. Yes, C is much better than Y...but the Y exit row is fine for me as I don't have an American-sized backside.

2. With a C seat and no status, you will get access to the T4 Skyview lounge in JFK (which also doubles as the NW WorldClub) and the RCC in FRA.

3. This is not an american airline. Alcohol is free. See the menus threads for sample drink menus in both classes.

4. You will get the configurations with row 39 as the exit row.

5. For me, yes.

BrianJ Aug 12, 2007 1:54 pm

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses!

I have one other question: If I book online at www.singaporeair.com will I get to choose my seat assignment online immediately? If I book a "Sweet Deal" fare, are certain seats restricted in Y to only that fare (for example, no window or aisle seats)?

Thanks again!

jjpb3 Aug 12, 2007 2:18 pm

I'm curious: what makes SQ25 "infamous"?

(I believe that term, when I've seen it used appropriately, has been reserved for things that have earned a negative reputation, e.g., infamous BA / LH Lounge Dragons [this at least for FTers]. :p )

BrianJ Aug 12, 2007 3:06 pm

Hi jjpb3...I was debating whether or not to use "famous" or "infamous" (I guess us English majors are like that), and went with the latter hoping to use it in the sense that the subject (SQ25) is often talked about, discussed, debated, etc.

"Infamous" is derived from the word "infamy" which does, indeed have a bad connotation. It usually refers, in the formal sense, as something causing disgracefulness or having a bad reputation. I did not mean to use that term in the formal sense. SQ25 is not infamous in the sense that it brings about disgracefulness (at least I certainly hope not!) but rather is often discussed and criticized, most probably because of their excellent reputation and the fact that it is maybe the only 5-star skytrax airline with direct New York-Germany coverage.

I hope that clears things up!

pueywei Aug 13, 2007 4:07 am

Originally Posted by BrianJ (Post 8218666)

I have one other question: If I book online at www.singaporeair.com will I get to choose my seat assignment online immediately? If I book a "Sweet Deal" fare, are certain seats restricted in Y to only that fare (for example, no window or aisle seats)?

Thanks again!

I've found that SQ doesn't limit seat selection based on this from my bookings to/from other destinations. Of course, YMMV.

dfs24 Aug 13, 2007 6:47 am

Originally Posted by BrianJ (Post 8218666)

Thanks again!

For sweet deal fare, you do not get miles but you can make seat selections. There are no restrictions on seats. For raffles class, you can request a seat if it is booked through a TA.

With regards to your first post,

Regardless of age, all B744 on SQ have got the Space bed, AVOD.
Alcohol is free flow in all classes unless you appear to be drunk.

ACflyerDE Aug 13, 2007 6:48 am

Originally Posted by BrianJ (Post 8218444)
1. Though the price differences are huge, I am debating Y or Raffles class. I've heard that these particular 747s on this route are of the "older" configuration. I've never flown SQ before, so is Raffles significantly better than Y on these particular aircraft?

While you will not have the new Business Class seats you find on the 77W, you will still have the "Space Bed", and I would say the difference to Economy is huge. See for yourself: Space Bed / Economy. Now you have to decide if you want to fork out the extra $$$...

ThWilmesi Aug 13, 2007 11:00 am

It is a great flight and probably the best flight you can take from JFK - FRA, I mean there is of course plenty of alternatives on LH (they have of course more flights a day), if your friend has a status with UA, on LH metal from the US all United bonuses for status clients are being matched, also LH has their new business class product on all flights.

But still - if you are looking for a real experience and you don't do this regularly and arrival time in FRA isn't your priority then take SQ, I took JFK - FRA - SIN connecting to CGK and it was a great, great flight in Raffles Class, try to get a seat in the upper deck by the way. I loved this flight because it allowed my during the short stop in FRA to stock on German newspapers and magazines since I am German, great stuff.

as219 Aug 13, 2007 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by ThWilmesi (Post 8223153)
It is a great flight and probably the best flight you can take from JFK - FRA, I mean there is of course plenty of alternatives on LH (they have of course more flights a day), if your friend has a status with UA, on LH metal from the US all United bonuses for status clients are being matched, also LH has their new business class product on all flights.

But still - if you are looking for a real experience and you don't do this regularly and arrival time in FRA isn't your priority then take SQ, I took JFK - FRA - SIN connecting to CGK and it was a great, great flight in Raffles Class, try to get a seat in the upper deck by the way. I loved this flight because it allowed my during the short stop in FRA to stock on German newspapers and magazines since I am German, great stuff.

I'm planning a JFK-FRA-SIN trip in C in the coming months as well. :D

I am curious, though: Was there enough time in FRA to hit the LH lounge showers, or only enough to buy some magazines and grab coffee?

Kiwi Flyer Aug 13, 2007 4:37 pm

If the flight leaves JFK on time and not significantly delayed on the ground (never a sure thing) then may be enough time for a shower. Otherwise probably not. Note there is usually a queue for the showers, which can take more than an hour (thus could be too long for you even if flight arrives early).

BrianJ Aug 13, 2007 4:38 pm

If I'm not mistaken (and senior SQ flyers, correct me if I'm wrong) but I don't think LH allows any C SQ flyers in their lounges at FRA. I think you have to fly in F to get access to both that lounge in FRA and the VS lounge at JFK. As Salvage mentioned above; however, C flyers get access to the NW lounge at JFK and the UA lounge at FRA (Am I saying that correctly? Correct me if I'm wrong) though I don't think shower facilities are available in either lounge...

I think you will have time, but you might be cutting it close. It depends on how full the lounges are in FRA (if you can even get into the LH lounge)...

Kiwi Flyer Aug 13, 2007 4:51 pm

If you are *G flying SQ you have access to LH SEN lounges and UA RCC at FRA, plus one guest. If you are non *G flying SQ in first you also have access to LH SEN lounges and UA IFL at FRA, plus one guest. If you are non *G flying SQ in business you have access to LH business lounges and UA RCC, no guests.

All lounge types have showers (ie there is at least one LH SEN lounge and at least one LH business lounge with showers, as well as UA RCC/IFL), although some individual lounges do not.

For JFK-FRA-SIN the gate used is B high numbered gate (on a pier). On arrival head into the main part of terminal and up one level to SEN and business lounges with shower. UA lounge is further away in the C part of terminal. I wouldn't bother heading there - not enough time.

For SIN-FRA-JFK the gate used in in C part of the terminal (because of the extra security needed for US flight). Thus UA lounge is close and LH lounges slightly further away (but still close enough to use in the transit).

However, given the queues for showers at FRA I wouldn't expect to get one in the short transit (but would try nonetheless except if inbound flight is late).

ThWilmesi Aug 14, 2007 10:59 am

[

QUOTE=as219;8224609]I'm planning a JFK-FRA-SIN trip in C in the coming months as well. :D

I am curious, though: Was there enough time in FRA to hit the LH lounge showers, or only enough to buy some magazines and grab coffee?
[/QUOTE]

Flight arrives at 11h15 am and leaves FRA at 12h30 PM, honestly considering they start boarding again very early, it is a bit tight. On top when I used the flight last year it arrived at the C-Gates in the Terminal 1, lot's to walk and I think you had to go out of security to get to a lounge. Better only grab some magazines and a coffee in my opinion