Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The infamous JFK-FRA SQ25 Route

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2022, 2:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by bgriff
It is generally served immediately after the main meal, which can be a lot of food by itself, so you may want to save room
Whether you fly in Suites, First, Business or at the back of the plane: You can actually tell them when you want the cake to be served. Just pay a discreet visit to the galley if you don't want the other person to know. More often than not, crew is actually asking when it's best to serve (and kind of spoiling the surprise moment).
Singapore_Air and joc111 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by bgriff
No, J is back to Wingtips. Suites I believe would be in the guaranteed Clubhouse category.
Be aware. Wingtips charged me $20+tax for a shower. J, KFEG. Lounge agent said airline wouldn't pay for it. They were not accepting PP at that time.

What's next, charging for a drink?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:12 am

Flying out later this week and absolutely dreading the flight, especially given I'll be in economy.

A few questions:
1) What is the wifi like and are there restrictions (i.e. doesn't work over certain countries/bodies of water etc.)?
2) Any recs while in FRA? I have an AMEX Platinum - any lounges with a decent shower? Any decent places for a meal or a pastry, like a croissant? Any spots where I could get a good meal (e.g. a sandwich) to-go (to eat later on the flight).
3) This is an award ticket via United. I am blocked out from trying online, but I assume I cannot call and attempt to upgrade via KrisFlyer points? Maybe there's a last minute cancellation or two... here's to hoping.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
Flying out later this week and absolutely dreading the flight, especially given I'll be in economy.

A few questions:
1) What is the wifi like and are there restrictions (i.e. doesn't work over certain countries/bodies of water etc.)?
You don't say if you're just flying to FRA or also onto SIN. No specific restrictions that I'm aware of between JFK and FRA, but I think either upthread (or separately in the SQ forum) I reported on how difficult it was to connect to the network on board.
2) Any recs while in FRA? I have an AMEX Platinum - any lounges with a decent shower?
Did you look at the Amex app?
3) This is an award ticket via United. I am blocked out from trying online, but I assume I cannot call and attempt to upgrade via KrisFlyer points? Maybe there's a last minute cancellation or two... here's to hoping.
I highly doubt you could use KF points to upgrade a partner award ticket but I am admittedly not an expert. You could, of course, re-issue the UA award ticket in a higher class of service (not sure if they offer PE awards, but they do Business), subject to availability. Or you may be able to buy up for cash, either in advance or at the airport. And of course you can always evaluate other routings/airlines for a MileagePlus award, like LH (would give you better lounge options in FRA) or even UA (e.g., via SFO), or a combo of UA/partner (e.g., via TYO).
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:06 pm

If anybody is wondering, the Fried Cod with Shrimp in Sam Ros Sauce on the J menu of the JFK-FRA leg this month is quite good.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You don't say if you're just flying to FRA or also onto SIN. No specific restrictions that I'm aware of between JFK and FRA, but I think either upthread (or separately in the SQ forum) I reported on how difficult it was to connect to the network on board.
Did you look at the Amex app?
I highly doubt you could use KF points to upgrade a partner award ticket but I am admittedly not an expert. You could, of course, re-issue the UA award ticket in a higher class of service (not sure if they offer PE awards, but they do Business), subject to availability. Or you may be able to buy up for cash, either in advance or at the airport. And of course you can always evaluate other routings/airlines for a MileagePlus award, like LH (would give you better lounge options in FRA) or even UA (e.g., via SFO), or a combo of UA/partner (e.g., via TYO).
Thanks!
- I'll be going all the way to Singapore.
- I know about the AMEX app - moreso seeing if anyone here has any first-hand experience/recommendations.
- UA doesn't have availability for higher class of service unfortunately/I have exhausted checking UA/other airlines award tickets trying to find a Business Class seat that fits within when I want to depart and arrive in Singapore.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
Thanks!
- I'll be going all the way to Singapore.
- I know about the AMEX app - moreso seeing if anyone here has any first-hand experience/recommendations.
- UA doesn't have availability for higher class of service unfortunately/I have exhausted checking UA/other airlines award tickets trying to find a Business Class seat that fits within when I want to depart and arrive in Singapore.
On Point 3. Not sure about UA award.
Based on my KF awards, 2-3 days before the flights SQ would email for a bid to upgrade to next available cabin.
Or you could try asking at JFK during check in.

I did this flight in Y in 2019. With a crying baby next to me from JFK-FRA leg. Ain't that bad. And you will get through it. There's alcohol on this flight
Old Nov 13, 2022, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It appears the Wingtips lounge has shut down permanently as of the 12th (Yesterday)..I guess I won't be having much luck getting into the Virgin Lounge on a premium economy ticket with Amex plat if J pax get switched back over.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 13, 2022 at 9:38 am
Old Nov 13, 2022, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
It appears the Wingtips lounge has shut down permanently as of the 11th..I guess I won't be having much luck getting into the Virgin Lounge on a premium economy ticket with Amex plat if J pax get switched back over.
on the day i left Virgin wasn't taking any amex entries until after 630pm, and even that was a maybe (i didn't go back)
Old Nov 13, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
It appears the Wingtips lounge has shut down permanently as of the 12th (Yesterday)..I guess I won't be having much luck getting into the Virgin Lounge on a premium economy ticket with Amex plat if J pax get switched back over.
J pax will go to Air India Maharaja Lounge.
CDKing likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by bpk6h
I am flying out in couple days and it seems my 7+ hrs layover lounge option get worst and worst
I was hoping to get in to Virgin CH but my Amex app show they are closing at 11am? I heard Wingtips
was not great but I heard Air India Maharaja Lounge is even worst?
Old Nov 13, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by bpk6h
Originally Posted by svalley
I am flying out in couple days and it seems my 7+ hrs layover lounge option get worst and worst
I was hoping to get in to Virgin CH but my Amex app show they are closing at 11am? I heard Wingtips
In September when I flew J was sent to Wingtips and *G to AI. I doubt anything has changed as I decided to check out the AI lounge for the heck of it and it barely fit PP and *G so how could it possibly accommodate an A380 of J pax?
Old Nov 13, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by svalley
VS CH is open in the evenings to accommodate the VS flights back to Blighty. More likely VS is limiting access to Amex plats.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 11:39 pm

The AI lounge food is good if you like Indian food, but it is hot small and packed with people
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:57 pm

I think I am really screwed with my 7+ hrs layover since I cannot get my boarding pass until check in at JFK 4 hrs before departure.
Without a boarding pass, I am limited to stay in the pre-security area for 3+ hours and found JFK has pretty much nothing

I hope I am wrong with above info, please let me know where I can get something to eat without leaving the airport. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.