Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The infamous JFK-FRA SQ25 Route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Another question, regarding carry on weight. I am statusless in J, do they weigh (both JFK and FRA) and if yes how strict are they on the 7kg limit?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Another question, regarding carry on weight. I am statusless in J, do they weigh (both JFK and FRA) and if yes how strict are they on the 7kg limit?
I flew today and they weighed everyone’s carry on’s no matter how small it looked. Mine was 30lbs and they made me check it and I was flying in J. I’m krisflyer silver from transferring points over but star alliance gold through united plat but didn’t mention it since I didn’t mind them checking the bag.
miamiflyer8 and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:49 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by whitecastle
I flew today and they weighed everyone’s carry on’s no matter how small it looked.
Boo!

Is this a new thing? Or specific to this route? I have never had this happen to me, but then I also don’t normally fly SQ transatlantic but only in and out of SIN
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:50 pm

I flew today and they weighed everyone’s carry on’s no matter how small it looked. Mine was 30lbs and they made me check it and I was flying in J. I’m krisflyer silver from transferring points over but star alliance gold through united plat but didn’t mention it since I didn’t mind them checking the bag.
Great…

I’ll pray they’ll check it thru on my separate SK connection..
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Boo!

Is this a new thing? Or specific to this route? I have never had this happen to me, but then I also don’t normally fly SQ transatlantic but only in and out of SIN
It's very common in Europe. The counter agents will act as if it's a safety concern at european airlines, that the overhead bin will fall off, but somehow it doesn't in the USA....
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just flew FRA<>SIN the last couple of weeks, neither in FRA nor SIN did anybody care about or weighted my carry ons (1xrollaboard 1xbackpack 1xlaptop bag)
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
It's very common in Europe. The counter agents will act as if it's a safety concern at european airlines, that the overhead bin will fall off, but somehow it doesn't in the USA....
This may make sense when travelling on narrow-body aircraft, but with wide bodies like SQ use them (A380 and A350) this should really not be an issue, that’s why I was surprised to hear that SQ would be pedantic about these things in FRA or at JFK
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My carry-on was weighted at check-in at JFK. It was definitely over 7kg, heck the suitcase (an older Tumi) probably weighted 5kg empty. It was probably in the ballpark of 15kg. But agent didn't say anything.
Note, this A380 in J only had small overhead bins over the window seats, and they're shaped such that a standard roll-aboard would need to go sideways. Mine was a bit wider than standard, and thus wouldn't fit in the overhead at all. Fortunately the seats were designed to allow a suitcase under the footrest, and mine did fit there, although it wasn't ideal as there was no room for my "real" carry-on, which I wanted access to during the flight.

For the return, I never checked in at the SQ desks landside, as I had a mobile BP from my prior LH flight. I don't think they have scales at the gate, so even if they wanted to, they couldn't have weighed the bag. Interestingly, the equipment operating the flight back to JFK had the overhead bins only over the center seat pairs. These were larger, and my bag fit there.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:51 am

I flew two days ago and my carry on was weighed at the counter at JFK and was 10kg/23lbs. Agent looked at the weight and said “That’s fine” and issued bp without a fuss.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: Skywards
Agent once told me that as long as I can lift the bag up into the bin it's all good.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Plat, Marriot Plat
Flying suites tomorrow out of Frankfurt. Any recommendations on how early to get to the airport? Given the priority security with F and early morning weekday flight, I was thinking about 1.5 hours since the lounge situation doesn’t look too great. Staying at the Hyatt Place next door after a final night of Oktoberfest in Munich tonight so want to get as much shut eye as possible.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:38 am

Flying suites tomorrow out of Frankfurt. Any recommendations on how early to get to the airport? Given the priority security with F and early morning weekday flight, I was thinking about 1.5 hours since the lounge situation doesn’t look too great. Staying at the Hyatt Place next door after a final night of Oktoberfest in Munich tonight so want to get as much shut eye as possible.
1.5hrs is probably sufficient. I flew last month and found check in, immigration, security etc to be a breeze at that hour
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
That should work. Have done similar. Usually I just head straight to gate due to aforementioned lounge situation. Fwiw, the cordoned off F section in the LH SEN lounge is now accessible to * pax travelling in First -- this means you have access to a slightly enhanced menu. Food can only be consumed in that little section so as not to cause a mutiny amongst the rest of the pax. You may wish to still abstain in favor of onboard catering. Good luck with catching some sleep post Oktoberfest.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:51 am

Which concourse in FRA does SQ26 leave from?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Which concourse in FRA does SQ26 leave from?
T1 B gates. Once you have checked in at the counter, follow the signs to B security (just beneath the giant SQ billboard).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.