Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The infamous JFK-FRA SQ25 Route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Thanks for letting me know about the cabin temp!
Actually, the back of the A380 is a veritable icebox. Rows 96 and 97 are always very cold. Historically, I've always selected that rear bulkhead just for the cool temp if I find myself on the A380 to Europe or JFK. Take a walk around the cabin and you'll notice it becomes markedly cooler as you approach the rear.
snic, FlyerEC, miamiflyer8 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Good pointer by bpk6h as to the zones in J on A388 upper deck (also applies to the lower deck Eco cabin). Actually, IIRC there was a time several years ago when SQ flights used to be quite cold in general and a lot of people asked for blankets and such. I know folks who always would wear long sleeve onboard and bring a cardigan or so.

These days that is not necessarily the case any longer and definitely overall cabin temperature seems to have been increased by a few degrees. Could have been a move due to passenger feedback and also helps with fuel consumption and all that I guess.
miamiflyer8 likes this.

Last edited by demue; Sep 17, 2022 at 8:11 am
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Question about the Inflight and Book the Cook options on SQ25 JFK-FRA in business class (if this belongs in another place, please feel free to move). Here are the options I have to choose from for my flight coming up at the end of September. I prefer Asian dishes and have no food allergies.

Any recommendations?

Inflight Menu

Braised Beef Short Rib
Cornbread pudding, sauteed spinach and smoked tomato butter

Marinated Seabass Shangdon Noodle Soup
Wheat flour noodle in rich broth with seabass and leafy greens

Slow Braised Lamb Shank with Red Wine Jus
Charred leeks, baby turnips and barley risotto

Braised Chicken with Honey Sa Cha Sauce
Seasonal vegetables and steamed rice

Book the Cook

Grilled Shrimp and Scallops
Grilled shrimps and scallops in tarragon mustard sauce with leeks, carrots, and linguini

Prawn pork dumpling noodle soup
Egg noodles in rich broth garnished with prawn-pork dumplings and leafy greens

Seafood Congee
Rice porridge with seafood, garnished with ginger, fried shallots and spring onion

Slow Roasted Beef Fillet
Slow roasted beef fillet with natural jus, pomme anna, celeriac, mushrooms, and carrot

Selected
Stir Fried Chicken in Chinese Wine
Stir-fried chicken in Chinese wine, served with seasonal vegetables and steamed jasmine rice
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
While there are some other food and BTC threads (try a forum search maybe if your are interested/ want to see what some dishes look like), your BTC selections offered sound rather new to me.

Purely judging by the sound of the dishes, I actually would dare to say that the inflight menu choices sound more interesting/ appealing to me. In general any braised or stewed dishes do better when reheated onboard and are less prone to being messed up / nuked into oblivion (e.g. like the super well done steak or so).
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by AAMCI
Question about the Inflight and Book the Cook options on SQ25 JFK-FRA in business class (if this belongs in another place, please feel free to move). Here are the options I have to choose from for my flight coming up at the end of September. I prefer Asian dishes and have no food allergies.

Any recommendations?

Inflight Menu

Braised Beef Short Rib
Cornbread pudding, sauteed spinach and smoked tomato butter

Marinated Seabass Shangdon Noodle Soup
Wheat flour noodle in rich broth with seabass and leafy greens

Slow Braised Lamb Shank with Red Wine Jus
Charred leeks, baby turnips and barley risotto

Braised Chicken with Honey Sa Cha Sauce
Seasonal vegetables and steamed rice

Book the Cook

Grilled Shrimp and Scallops
Grilled shrimps and scallops in tarragon mustard sauce with leeks, carrots, and linguini

Prawn pork dumpling noodle soup
Egg noodles in rich broth garnished with prawn-pork dumplings and leafy greens

Seafood Congee
Rice porridge with seafood, garnished with ginger, fried shallots and spring onion

Slow Roasted Beef Fillet
Slow roasted beef fillet with natural jus, pomme anna, celeriac, mushrooms, and carrot

Selected
Stir Fried Chicken in Chinese Wine
Stir-fried chicken in Chinese wine, served with seasonal vegetables and steamed jasmine rice
Some dps below from a a few recent jfk-fra trips.

I thought the braised beef short rib was ok (agree with Mr Leipzig, aka demue, that braised dishes work better). The cornbread was too sweet for my liking so did not finish.

Beef short rib with cornbread

The grilled shrimp and scallop dish was a fail. Pasta was dry and over cooked and portion too small. Crew pro-actively gave me another main, which was very sweet of them.

Grilled shrimp and scallops with linguine

The lamb shank was the dish I enjoyed the most. I would recommend (though as with everything ymmv)

Slow Braised Lamb Shank with Red Wine Jus Charred leeks, baby turnips and barley risotto
Old Sep 17, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by RayG
Some dps below from a a few recent jfk-fra trips.
Thank You!

I was contemplating on ordering the shrimp & scallops but I'm glad you warned me. I'll probably go for the lamb.
acker likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by bpk6h
Actually, the back of the A380 is a veritable icebox. Rows 96 and 97 are always very cold. Historically, I've always selected that rear bulkhead just for the cool temp if I find myself on the A380 to Europe or JFK. Take a walk around the cabin and you'll notice it becomes markedly cooler as you approach the rear.
This is really good to know. I absolutely hate over-heated cabins. I can always put on a sweater or ask for a blanket, but there's a limit to how much I can take off... And even wearing very little, I find it very hard to sleep when the cabin is too warm.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I was in row 15 east-bound due to a tight connection and wanting to deplane quickly. I was in 94 on the flight back. I definitely would not say it was cold there but it wasn’t nearly as bad as the flight over. FWIW.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by ijgordon
So I was in row 15 east-bound due to a tight connection and wanting to deplane quickly. I was in 94 on the flight back. I definitely would not say it was cold there but it wasn’t nearly as bad as the flight over. FWIW.
By "bad" do you mean it was too warm in row 15 or too cold?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:57 am

Things can certainly vary from flight to flight! Next time you are on it try the last two rows to see if there's more of a difference. I think being behind the last emergency exit has something to do with the colder temp. I found another trip report from several years back that mentions the same. But as others commented perhaps SQ is operating a higher overall cabin temp than in days past.

From the trip report: The only downside was that it got very cold. As it is right next to the door, it is freezing! But if you walk up two meters, just ahead of the door to row 95, it’s a perfect temperature

Edit to add that Mainly Miles has a comment on Row 96 being very cold (It's also listed as one of the worst seats! Was ok for me but it may not suit others).

Last edited by bpk6h; Sep 18, 2022 at 7:14 am
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Things can certainly vary from flight to flight! Next time you are on it try the last two rows to see if there's more of a difference. I think being behind the last emergency exit has something to do with the colder temp. I found another trip report from several years back that mentions the same. But as others commented perhaps SQ is operating a higher overall cabin temp than in days past.

From the trip report: The only downside was that it got very cold. As it is right next to the door, it is freezing! But if you walk up two meters, just ahead of the door to row 95, it’s a perfect temperature

Edit to add that Mainly Miles has a comment on Row 96 being very cold (It's also listed as one of the worst seats! Was ok for me but it may not suit others).

Well , must be part of further cost cutting measures like no lamb / mutton satay and only chicken offered .. liked 96 K , might be requesting this for future 380 flights unless on F

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34611779-post3.html
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by reverted
Yes very strange you can't even pay cash for any of these segments let alone redeem miles for them. But the same is not true for the opposite routing which is what doesn't make any sense to me.
F (and F award) availability is back.

Last edited by Keycard; Sep 19, 2022 at 8:01 am Reason: Fiance suggested I keep the message simple
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Keycard
F (and F award) availability is back.
And just like that, poof, it was gone, except for a very few days.
BTW, not surprising your waitlist hadn't cleared even though it was available again - it seems waitlists are very manual.

For the record, I enjoyed the color commentary.
Keycard likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
And just like that, poof, it was gone, except for a very few days.
BTW, not surprising your waitlist hadn't cleared even though it was available again - it seems waitlists are very manual.

For the record, I enjoyed the color commentary.
Quickly checked JFK-FRA and I'm seeing some days in July most days in August (2023) as available at advantage rate - good spot!
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
And just like that, poof, it was gone...
The Keyser Söze of awards...I'll get my coat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.