The infamous JFK-FRA SQ25 Route

Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Flying the full SQ25 next month JFK-FRA-SIN. At FRA, do we have to deplane or can we stay on board?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by admaddox1
Here is our scenario: We fly from CLE to JFK arriving at 1PM, then the JFK to FRA at 8:55. We will need to collect luggage and recheck it, but it seems like we can't do this until 4 hours prior is that correct? I have a platinum card so have access to most lounges so the wait is not a problem, just trying to figure out the most efficient way to do this. I've always booked overseas flights on the same airline straight through and never had to do the re-checking in. Thanks in advance for any tips!
Another option is to check your bags at the T4 storage facility and go into the city for lunch.
We have a 2:30pm lunch reservation at Le Bernardin and then chopper back to JFK on Blade.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SFO777
Flying the full SQ25 next month JFK-FRA-SIN. At FRA, do we have to deplane or can we stay on board?
You must deplane.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supine
You must deplane.
Thanks supine. That was what I figured it might be.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:07 pm

Hi I am new here..
I am flying SQ25 and SQ26 economy and was wondering if I need to clear security and immigration in the FRA.
I can't get a straight answer about needing a transit visa... from both SQ and the consulate/embassy.
I am an Indonesia citizen who lives in America and my kids are America citizens... Not sure if it makes a difference...

Thanks.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by bluefeli
Hi I am new here..
I am flying SQ25 and SQ26 economy and was wondering if I need to clear security and immigration in the FRA.
I can't get a straight answer about needing a transit visa... from both SQ and the consulate/embassy.
I am an Indonesia citizen who lives in America and my kids are America citizens... Not sure if it makes a difference...

Thanks.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
In FRA, passengers from international flights exit the plane into a part of the terminal where everyone has already officially "left" Europe by passing through exit immigration, or has not yet "entered" Europe by passing through entry immigration. So you should not need a visa - HOWEVER, I don't know what the airline requires. Also, even if a visa is not required, you might want to get a transit visa anyway because if there is some delay and you are forced to spend the night (or longer) in Frankfurt, you would not be able to exit to Germany to find a hotel. A visa would allow you to do that.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 3:02 pm

Hey, thanks for the info.
I think transit visa will not let you get pass the immigration for overnight hotel stay. I think it has to be a regular visa.
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to apply for visa anymore (family emergency). I was hoping to catch a flight that doesn't require visa and less complicated.
I was wondering... Has anyone heard of or experience SQ25/26 flight that's stuck in FRA for more than a day...?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 3:07 pm

Hi I am new here..
The transit visa guidelines are here https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/v...transit/606710

From what you wrote it sounds like you don't need one.

Indonesian citizens have "transit privilege". I.e. it's not listed in the countries who don't.

You might also be ok as a resident of the USA, although they don't spell out which types of resident qualify.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 3:10 pm

I was wondering... Has anyone heard of or experience SQ25/26 flight that's stuck in FRA for more than a day...?
It has happened but it's so rare you should not worry about it.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 3:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Supine.
I checked and double checked because I am paranoid like that lol.
It looks like I don't need a transit visa because Indonesia is not listed in the "need transit visa" countries. But I am just wondering what happens if let's say everything went smoothly but the outbound flight from FRA got stuck... say 12 hours.. What are my options? Can I go to the lounge inside (without passing through immigration) and pay a fee to rest/shower?
I took this same flight a long time ago and remember it was pretty painless but I don't know what have changed now especially since Covid happened.
My kids will be fine since they have American passports.
Any additional info about this flight and the airport system itself is definitely appreciated.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 3:42 pm

. But I am just wondering what happens if let's say everything went smoothly but the outbound flight from FRA got stuck... say 12 hours.. What are my options? Can I go to the lounge inside (without passing through immigration) and pay a fee to rest/shower?
Stop worrying. 😁

Green is on time, yellow is delay less than 30 minutes.

​​​​​
But to answer your question, there are lounges in the area where you will be waiting. Unfortunately Lufthansa isn't selling access, at least according to their website (but also wouldn't hurt to ask), so only status or business/first is likely to get you access.

​​​​​​
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 4:14 pm

Thanks for the reassurance lol.
I guess fingers crossed everything should go smoothly.
We don't have to go through customs/immigration, am I right? Security checks?
Seriously, this forum is way more helpful than trying to get someone to answer my question in the consulate.
I waited like over an hour on the phone before giving up.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 4:23 pm

We don't have to go through customs/immigration, am I right? Security checks?
Definitely no immigration nor customs.

Should not be any security either, but that presumes they've configured the gate properly so you deplane into the secure area.
ijgordon and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by supine
Definitely no immigration nor customs.

Should not be any security either, but that presumes they've configured the gate properly so you deplane into the secure area.
Thanks ALOT! You really calmed my nerve by confirming a lot of things I wasn't sure of.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Thanks ALOT! You really calmed my nerve by confirming a lot of things I wasn't sure of.
Usually when you arrive from JFK on SQ25 and are continuing to SIN, they will have SQ ground agents waiting at the end of the jet bridge before entering the terminal, directing transit pax to the secure area. Same for the reverse journey on SQ26 to JFK when arriving from SIN.

Apparently, you can book access to LH lounges from here. Can’t say it works or still possible as I have never tried, but do recall a press release or something similar from LH during covid, advertising the option of purchasing access.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.