The infamous JFK-FRA SQ25 Route

Old Aug 9, 22, 10:31 am
  #781  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Zurich
Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, TPPS
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts View Post
EDIT: Actually the in flight menu page makes it seem like its just Dinner + a non-breakfast snack? Is that right? I don't know that I've ever gone TATL on another carrier without breakfast.
Spot on. Personally don't care for western style breakfasts so this is preferable, tho I manage only a couple of bites and never finish the second meal.
RayG is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 10:45 am
  #782  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: Delta, Marriott
Posts: 154
SQ25 in F vs SQ23 in J - how meaningful is the experience difference? Good saver availability for SQ23 (vs waitlist for SQ25) on my travel dates and the direct aspect of it is attractive to me - but i do love the idea of the A380.
jasonNYC85 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 10:49 am
  #783  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 511
Originally Posted by jasonNYC85 View Post
SQ25 in F vs SQ23 in J - how meaningful is the experience difference? Good saver availability for SQ23 (vs waitlist for SQ25) on my travel dates and the direct aspect of it is attractive to me - but i do love the idea of the A380.
Suites is a significantly better experience than Business class. Clearing waitlists however is a coin flip.
Singapore_Air and DiamondMile like this.
BR787 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 2:41 pm
  #784  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: BOS/SIN
Programs: DL 0 Million Miler (and PM), Amtrak Select, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Posts: 1,619
Originally Posted by RayG View Post
Do you have amex plat? If so, I would go to VS lounge and eat there (the VS lounge is incidentally far and away superior to the JFK centurion). J on its own gets you only access to the Wingtips lounge which moved there when LX moved to JFK T1 earlier this year. I tend to not bother on board as I find the Book the Cook options out of JFK a bit underwhelming. Tt being said, I had a decent short rib dish out of there. CC are very good in completing the service efficiently and quickly to allow for rest.
Did VS kick SQ out of the clubhouse again? (Or did SQ decide they no longer wanted to pay more $ for J passengers?) SQ was still sending J pax to the clubhouse earlier this year (post-LX move) but I guess that must have ended at some point since the website also says Wingtips again
truncated is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 8:27 pm
  #785  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Zurich
Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, TPPS
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by truncated View Post
Did VS kick SQ out of the clubhouse again? (Or did SQ decide they no longer wanted to pay more $ for J passengers?) SQ was still sending J pax to the clubhouse earlier this year (post-LX move) but I guess that must have ended at some point since the website also says Wingtips again
We can only speculate as to why the access rules have effectively reverted back to pre-covid era (minus the AI access for *Gold travelling in Y/PEY), ie only Suites and TPPS get access. However, it is true that SQ capacity out of JFK has increased significantly since covid with the introduction of SQ23. As SQ was sending all of its premium pax, incl *Gold travelling in Y/PEY to VS lounge, you can imagine tt tt is a lot of pax each day for the lounge to handle.

The changes are effective this month. July still had the old (interim rather) rules when I swung by.

There is still the option of accessing the VS lounge with amex plat, should you have it.
RayG is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 9:51 pm
  #786  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW
Programs: AAdvantage GLD 1.74MM
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by RayG View Post
There is still the option of accessing the VS lounge with amex plat, should you have it.
AMEX website says access to Clubhouse is 5am-8:30am, is that wrong? I hope so, because I have Platinum card and am booked on SQ25 in business class at end of Sept. I'd really like to visit VS Clubhouse based on what I've read.

Can anyone confirm if AMEX Platinum does get access to Clubhouse in the early evening before SQ25?

Thanks.
AAMCI is offline  
Old Aug 9, 22, 10:21 pm
  #787  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 26,132
There have been sporadic reports of the VS lounge not admitting Amex Platinum holders due to crowding, but for all intents and purposes, you can access the club all day (max 3 [possibly 2] hours before departure though). The info in the website/app is incorrect.
There's a thread in the Amex forum specifically on this topic.
AAMCI likes this.
ijgordon is online now  
Old Aug 13, 22, 7:32 am
  #788  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 36
Aircraft Swap?

Hi all, Iím looking to fly this route specifically to enjoy the A380. I know SQ doesnít have a reputation like Qatar does for changing planes, but Iíve read online that SQ have only confirmed their schedule/aircraft up until March 25th 2023 and that routes beyond that date can be more likely to have an equipment change.

I was hoping to travel April 2023, but upon reading this Iím willing to bring my trip forward to March to travel on the A380.

Would you recommend travelling before March 25th to reduce the risk of equipment change (perhaps back to a 777 again) once they finalise their schedule for April onwards? Iím not familiar enough with Singapore Airlines to make a judgement re: aircraft changes.
traveluxe is offline  
Old Aug 13, 22, 8:43 am
  #789  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: LHR
Programs: OWE, *G
Posts: 219
Originally Posted by traveluxe View Post
Hi all, Iím looking to fly this route specifically to enjoy the A380. I know SQ doesnít have a reputation like Qatar does for changing planes, but Iíve read online that SQ have only confirmed their schedule/aircraft up until March 25th 2023 and that routes beyond that date can be more likely to have an equipment change.

I was hoping to travel April 2023, but upon reading this Iím willing to bring my trip forward to March to travel on the A380.

Would you recommend travelling before March 25th to reduce the risk of equipment change (perhaps back to a 777 again) once they finalise their schedule for April onwards? Iím not familiar enough with Singapore Airlines to make a judgement re: aircraft changes.
Given the high loads on this route and the high demand for Suites (completely sold out most dates until 2023) it seems unlikely that SQ would switch it to a 77W (fewer pax in all classes, including 6 in Suites vs. 4 in First). At the same time itís hard to know exactly what will happen, but historically there has been an A380 on that route - in the past with the old Suites. In regards to how common equipment swaps are with SQ, someone else is probably more qualified to answer.
Andrew35K is offline  
Old Aug 13, 22, 9:55 am
  #790  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 511
Originally Posted by traveluxe View Post
Hi all, Iím looking to fly this route specifically to enjoy the A380. I know SQ doesnít have a reputation like Qatar does for changing planes, but Iíve read online that SQ have only confirmed their schedule/aircraft up until March 25th 2023 and that routes beyond that date can be more likely to have an equipment change.

I was hoping to travel April 2023, but upon reading this Iím willing to bring my trip forward to March to travel on the A380.

Would you recommend travelling before March 25th to reduce the risk of equipment change (perhaps back to a 777 again) once they finalise their schedule for April onwards? Iím not familiar enough with Singapore Airlines to make a judgement re: aircraft changes.

SQ is not going to take the A380 off this route short of another early Covid level decimation of the air travel. This route will always be flown by an A380.
BR787 is offline  
Old Aug 13, 22, 8:12 pm
  #791  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 569
Originally Posted by traveluxe View Post
Hi all, Iím looking to fly this route specifically to enjoy the A380. I know SQ doesnít have a reputation like Qatar does for changing planes, but Iíve read online that SQ have only confirmed their schedule/aircraft up until March 25th 2023 and that routes beyond that date can be more likely to have an equipment change.

I was hoping to travel April 2023, but upon reading this Iím willing to bring my trip forward to March to travel on the A380.

Would you recommend travelling before March 25th to reduce the risk of equipment change (perhaps back to a 777 again) once they finalise their schedule for April onwards? Iím not familiar enough with Singapore Airlines to make a judgement re: aircraft changes.
Based on my recent equipment swap, choose your best timing. If April is your priority then April. And IF you can secure immediate seat.

should SQ swap equipment, you will have a lot of options - all to your advantage!
My example is ZRH-SIN from suites to first. So I managed to reroute to sq25. All my equipment swap experiences have been good with SQ. You do have to push hard. Know your rights!
terbangalways is offline  
Old Aug 25, 22, 9:11 pm
  #792  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Programs: HHonors Plat, Amex Plat
Posts: 64
Mask Mandate

Just saw that Germany expanded its mask mandate for flights to and from the country until April 2023.

Flying this route in J and F and not really excited to have to wear a mask after flying the last year or so without one. Anyone have experiences with how strict they are in F and J?
whitecastle is offline  
Old Aug 25, 22, 10:16 pm
  #793  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SIN (LEJ once a year)
Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 6,787
In J you were reminded / asked to wear the mask outside of eating / drinking though so hence folks seemed to nourish a glass of whatever beverage of choice for almost the entire flight.

In First / Suites I have only read in other threads that enforcement was more relaxed (basically they left you alone) if you were in your Suite or so. YMMV.
Singapore_Air and FlyerEC like this.
demue is offline  
Old Aug 25, 22, 10:28 pm
  #794  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 4,057
Originally Posted by demue View Post
In J you were reminded / asked to wear the mask outside of eating / drinking though so hence folks seemed to nourish a glass of whatever beverage of choice for almost the entire flight.

In First / Suites I have only read in other threads that enforcement was more relaxed (basically they left you alone) if you were in your Suite or so. YMMV.
Yes , so sharing this on our friendly FTer community forum & since things will be somewhat relaxed come Monday .. and here are the May / June flights strategy FYI , awake whole flight , so drinking iced water , etc & eating the entire return flights , with paper cups during landing ( s ) and take off( s ) / taxiing .
FlyerEC is offline  
Old Aug 25, 22, 11:20 pm
  #795  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Zurich
Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, TPPS
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by whitecastle View Post
Just saw that Germany expanded its mask mandate for flights to and from the country until April 2023.

Flying this route in J and F and not really excited to have to wear a mask after flying the last year or so without one. Anyone have experiences with how strict they are in F and J?
Germany has not expanded its mask mandate as of now. A legislative proposal is currently being discussed to come in to effect from October 1st to April '23 where Germany will require FFP2 to be worn on all flights to and from Germany, affecting SQ25/26 (and SQ's MUC flight obv). Currently you can wear surgical as well. This is meant to change come October. I hope SQ will continue its leniency due to the more relaxed (and less kiasu ) culture in SG. However, this purported law is strict from a German perspective as it is specific on the FFP2 requirement (unlike most other countries still requiring masks), so it will be interesting. Funnily enough people won't be required to wear masks in German airports -- this won't change, regardless whether the law gets passed in this form or not.
RayG is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread