Search

The infamous JFK-FRA SQ25 Route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Hi guys,
Sorry if this has already been asked....
I am looking to book FRA - JFK for the middle of next year, around June time. At the moment it is showing the 747, are there any plans to introduce a 777 on this route? What happens if I book up now, and then SQ do change the plane? I take it my reward ticket will still stand?
Cheers ^
If there is an equipment change, to a 77W or even a 380, your reward ticket will still be valid as long as you book before any scheduled equipment change.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
If there is an equipment change, to a 77W or even a 380, your reward ticket will still be valid as long as you book before any scheduled equipment change.
Good to know....I take it there is no word on a change of aircraft for the middle of next year?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
I am due to take this flight to SIN on Monday, returning on Saturday (via SQ62...I live in MCO). I had the option of taking EK via DXB which has always been a good product, but chose SQ just for changing it up a bit...so I am looking forward to it!
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stylo4444
I am due to take this flight to SIN on Monday, returning on Saturday (via SQ62...I live in MCO). I had the option of taking EK via DXB which has always been a good product, but chose SQ just for changing it up a bit...so I am looking forward to it!
Sorry to temper your enthusiasm but...

I flew SQ25 in First last week. In flight was outstanding but for those contemplating it... Be warned about the JFK ground experience. How can such a great in flight airline be so horse crap on the ground? SQ needs to do some serious reflection on the entire JFK ground experience, which dismayed me and brought Mrs. SFO to question my sanity and why the hell we weren't flying LH? I believe her words were "we left a day early and stopped in NY for this crap, when we could have flown LH nonstop?"

After check-in, it was off to the VS Clubhouse, where unfortunately, there were so many people in the lounge, that we couldn't find any open seating pairs other than in the closet alcove at the back of the lounge, where the AC was working overtime and CNN was a loud annoyance. After a quick scouting trip, we moved to the relative tranquility of the LX Lounge... much more relaxing but minus the service of the Clubhouse with clearly lesser business class offerings. I checked back twice at the VS Clubhouse but nothing had changed... overcrowded with no acceptable pair seats available.

At around T-70 minutes, we decided to head for security and A6. The A2-7 security and gate situation was the same third world experience if not worse than last time. Although there was priority security, the economy security line moved faster than F/J especially with numerous flight crews cutting the line.

Gate A6 was utter chaos. A sea of gate lice everywhere with no announcements from the SQ (presumably contract) staff. The GA finally announced boarding for First and Business pax. Naturally 50-60 people tried get around, over or through dozens of economy pax blocking the way. What an absolute disgrace. With only 7 pax in First, is it too much to announce and board First pax first??

On board and up in the pointy end, it was calm and serene but Mrs. SFO was in a bad mood, not at all enamored by the cramped seat and closed-in feeling compared to her favorite SFO-MUC LH 346. Not many people would put up with the crap on the ground at JFK. Indeed I doubt I would start another RTW from JFK until SQ figures out how to leave the third world behind there.

Complete narrative and pics in my related trip report...
Part 3. SQ Check-in and the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse and SWISS Lounges JFK
Part 4. JFK-FRA on Singapore in First

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 19, 2010 at 3:33 am
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:21 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by SFO777
At around T-70 minutes, we decided to head for security and A6. The A2-7 security and gate situation was the same third world experience if not worse than last time. Although there was priority security, the economy security line moved faster than F/J especially with numerous flight crews cutting the line.
Sounds about the same as when I took SQ from JFK this summer. I quite enjoyed the flight itself, though.

I am looking forward to trying LH's long-haul business or first sometime...
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Too much a/c in the Clubhouse? I'd have been thrilled a few weeks ago when my maiden SQ voyage (in F, and inspired in part by your RTW report, btw) left from a T4 with NO A/C. None! Lounge experience was def affected, though what can you do but make the best of it

As long as SQ checkin & gates are alongside the likes of PIA, there is likely to be a perception (rightly or not) of a "third world experience". There was a procession of Pakistani "diplomats" who kept trooping past us in the F security line, straight to the front. Probably doubled the wait time

Not exactly sure what SQ can do, as the facility itself seemed decently nice. (Maybe rent space alongside BA/UA in T7?)

I had no problems with gate lice as I positioned myself just by the F sign and was second aboard after the numerous pre-boards :-)

And yes, it was great once on the plane
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Question

Do we get the right to access the Lufthansa First Class Lounge --not talking about the FCT-- flying in F from Frankfurt to JFK on Singapore Airlines and presenting a First Class boarding pass or will it be the Senator Lounge/Red Carpet Club?

Do they still give out PJs and full amenity kits on day time flights?

The same at JFK is there a F arrivals/connecting lounge we can use while waiting for a *Alliance US domestic connecting flight?

Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDG1
...The same at JFK is there a F arrivals/connecting lounge we can use while waiting for a *Alliance US domestic connecting flight?

There is no arrival service. US uses T7 at JFK. You can use UA RCC as departure lounge.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by CDG1
Do we get the right to access the Lufthansa First Class Lounge --not talking about the FCT-- flying in F from Frankfurt to JFK on Singapore Airlines and presenting a First Class boarding pass or will it be the Senator Lounge/Red Carpet Club?
You must be flying on LH metal to access the FCL or FCT in FRA.

You can use the Senator lounge in FRA.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:27 am

Thank you TerryK and macabus.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:15 am

And FWIW, arriving SQ25 PAX at FRA cannot access the LH Arrivals facility
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:47 am

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
And FWIW, arriving SQ25 PAX at FRA cannot access the LH Arrivals facility
No problem there. I want to do FRA-JFK.
The SFO-FRA return leg will be on LH so I can spend time in the FCT.

Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:49 am

double post due to error
mods please delete - thank you
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:36 pm

Pretty sure you need to be connecting onward from FRA in LH or LX F to access the FCT.... I do not believe you'll have access to the FCT as an arriving F passenger
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Pretty sure you need to be connecting onward from FRA in LH or LX F to access the FCT.... I do not believe you'll have access to the FCT as an arriving F passenger
FCT- No.
FCL-Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.