The infamous JFK-FRA SQ25 Route

Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: Various
Don't know where else to ask so here we go:

Will ticket prices go up when after the equipment change? Is there a discount for travelling on the 747 or is it the route that is discounted? I haven't really checked all routes but this one seems to be much cheaper than other SQ routes in F.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:17 pm

As between the two SQ routes with First Class across the Atlantic to SIN, it's actually Houston that has the bigger discount (measured as a reduction from the "normal" or unrestricted first class fare). An IAH-SIN round trip in first is almost exactly the same price as JFK-SIN vv in first....but it's a good deal longer trip.

Even the discounted F fares are pricey. The SQ "RTW" FEZSQ fare is a much better deal.....and it's available from any SQ US gateway.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
IMO and for my western taste, I might BTC with Lobster Thermidor x-SIN or x-HKG. I would never BTC departing x-SFO, LHR, FRA, ZRH (no BTC anyway) or CDG, where you get to experience dishes from 3 of the world best chefs... Nancy Oakes (SFO), Gordon Ramsay (LHR and FRA) and Georges Blanc (CDG and ZRH).
I am flying next week FRA/SIN: Would you really say it is better to not "book the cook"?
I ask for your kind (and others) opinions as I am used to the "Star Chefs" food of LH which is usually not even as close to as good as the "book the cook" I have had flying SQ...
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I am flying next week FRA/SIN: Would you really say it is better to not "book the cook"?
I ask for your kind (and others) opinions as I am used to the "Star Chefs" food of LH which is usually not even as close to as good as the "book the cook" I have had flying SQ...
I always BTC on this route. I think once I asked if I could order from the menu instead of my BTC and they said no problem. I will be flying JFK-FRA-SIN in August and have BTCd.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rolov
I always BTC on this route. I think once I asked if I could order from the menu instead of my BTC and they said no problem. I will be flying JFK-FRA-SIN in August and have BTCd.
Thank you for the advice! Any menu recommendations?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just picked the beef stir-fry, I have also had the Chicken in Rosemary sauce and a few things that are no longer on the menu. The lobster thermidor is good for a seafood choice. I prefer the options in the JFK-FRA segment.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:39 pm
2zz

Programs: SQ, UA, US, TG
Am taking JFK-FRA-SIN next week in F. Want to try the much acclaimed Lobster Thermidor that I have been reading back but also want to have something else for my other meal. Any views on whether the Lobster Thermidor tastes better ex-JFK or ex-FRA? Or are the "options" better ex-JFK or ex-FRA?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:57 pm
2zz

On the contrary, I thought the Oasis was pretty decent in terms of food & drinks, and I have been to quite a lot of lounges globally, having lived in the US, UK & Asia. Maybe I have been flying too much within the US and my standards are no longer what they used to be...

It does get pretty crowded for the SQ25 departure. But not really an issue if one gets there slightly earlier, maybe 2-3 hours before, which is really when one is supposed to check-in anyway.

[QUOTE=as219;10364535]Not sure about this, but I can say that the Oasis lounge is no great shakes. It's pretty jammed in the evening prior to the departure of SQ25, and the food isn't that great. Hard to imagine LX is worse, but who knows.

QUOTE]
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 2zz
Am taking JFK-FRA-SIN next week in F. Want to try the much acclaimed Lobster Thermidor that I have been reading back but also want to have something else for my other meal. Any views on whether the Lobster Thermidor tastes better ex-JFK or ex-FRA? Or are the "options" better ex-JFK or ex-FRA?
I would let the "signature chef" at my departure city be my guide.
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...??v=912766241&
Since I could never get enough of Georges Blanc (x-CDG/ZRH) and Gordon Ramsay (x-LHR/FRA), I would do the Lobster Thermidor x-JFK and the regular menu featuring Gordon Ramsay x-FRA.

Since you are traveling F, your JFK lounge choice is easy. Just head for the Virgin Clubhouse, and go early.

Last edited by SFO777; Jul 24, 2009 at 7:48 am
Old Jul 25, 2009, 3:33 am
2zz

Thanks for the tip. But the uncertainty about the guest policy at VSCH might just cause me to give that a miss. Btw, your JFK-FRA trip report is certainly fascinating.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:00 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by as219
Second, and related, in theory you can opt out of BTC for something on the menu, but both times I tried this, I was told basically that they'd accommodate me if my choice was left after everyone else got their picks. Needless to say, both times I got stuck with my BTC choice.
I had an extra entree in each direction on my SQ trip JFK-FRA-JFK (might've actually had an extra entree on each meal in each direction ).
Old Aug 4, 2009, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LGA
I had an extra entree in each direction on my SQ trip JFK-FRA-JFK (might've actually had an extra entree on each meal in each direction ).
Im flying the route tonight, I did not eat enough at the VS CH , too many drinks
I could use a second entree.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by rolov
Im flying the route tonight, I did not eat enough at the VS CH , too many drinks
I could use a second entree.
Sheesh. How could you NOT eat enough at the VS CH? Steak sandwiches? BBQ potato chips? Celery sticks, even?

Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bitterroot
Sheesh. How could you NOT eat enough at the VS CH? Steak sandwiches? BBQ potato chips? Celery sticks, even?

I know they had plenty of food ( I was not complaining), I just didn't order much for some reason. The meals on SQ25 were excellent, and very filling.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: United, SIA, Delta, Emirates, BA, Continental, etc.
SQ versus UA and LH

I fly monthly to FRA either from IAD or JFK. I have recently used UA and LH for the IAD flights, and SQ for the JFK flights. I always fly with a business colleague, and although we fly coach, we pay extra for extra legroom seats on UA and SQ (not available on LH).

UA charges $97 extra for each flight segment for Economy Plus seats, while SQ is only $50.

Unlike LH and UA, SQ does not allow you to print your boarding pass for this route.

Unlike LH's and SQ's 747's, the UA 777-200's have just 2 pairs of Y seats on the left and right sides of the aisles (but 5 abreast in the middle row). However, both LH and SQ have several two abreast pairs of seats at the tail end.

SQ and LH have satellite phones, which I have had to use once on LH ($600/hour). SQ, unlike LH, has phones in every seat and costs about a 1/3 less per hour.

The Y class food on LH and UA is appalling - even when I order a special meal - LH and UA use the same catering at FRA. LH and SQ give free drinks.

I ordered a seafood dinner on SQ, and I thought the fish was chewy but bland and the veggies were overcooked. I also had a little bit better luck with the Hindu non-veggie meal, but any low end Indian restaurant could beat it.

The service on SQ is more attentive, the snacks, foods and drinks are more frequently served, and they check the lav's constantly. The lavs in Y class have toothpaste, toothbrushes, combs, perfume and toilet water - the kind you splash yourself with, intentionally. But SQ class lavs have longer lines, and people congregate in the area in front of the exits, which is annoying if you have paid for an extra legroom seat there. They also serve delicately steamed washcloths at the beginning and end of the flight.

SQ has the best selection of inflight entertainment, but I usually don't use it very much, because I either am trying sleep or talk business.

Despite the complaints I have read about the SQ 747-400 interiors being worn, they did not appear that way to me.

*** One major advantage with SQ Y fares is that it much easier getting a low priced fare close to a departure date, and unlike LH and UA, the low fares stay the same day to day (at least within two weeks of departure), whereas with UA or LH they change all the time. SQ does not award any KrisFlyer points for their lowest fare tickets. I travel of behalf of a not for profit foundation, so I am careful about travel expenses.

On my last SQ flight into JFK, the 747-400 impacted so hard that the exit light covering dropped from over the door.

I'm flying SQ out of JFK on Sun Aug 9 and will return on the 14th. And then two days later I'm off to Shanghai PVG from EWR on CO. I look forward to flying with the same enthusiasm as I have for a trip to the dentist.

Last edited by wildyorkie; Aug 8, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.