Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The infamous JFK-FRA SQ25 Route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
questions

Thanks to all for creating such an informative thread.

My company requires Y travel on a US based airline. I have to travel to PER and thought that would be extremely painful so I coughed up some miles and I am now routed JFK-FRA-SIN-PER SQ in C. Rather looking forward to it.

Some questions:
1) I will have some time to kill at JFK - as a *G would you recommend the LX or Oasis lounge? Can one try both?

2) Should I BTC 6 times (JFK, FRA, and SIN) or do you feel that would be excessive and that I would be missing superb general menu options.

3) I will have my computer bag (a 14in x 16in x 8in roller) and my suitcase (a standard 20in x 16in roller). Should I check the suitcase or take them both along.

Thank you ever so much for reading and your advice
Old Sep 13, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
I think in SQ C, you will just have access to the Oasis Lounge (landside).
Old Sep 13, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by SASfan
I think in SQ C, you will just have access to the Oasis Lounge (landside).
The poster is *G so if the LX lounge is *A they would have access. Is this the case with the LX lounge? I would like to pop over next week and check it out. SQ F ticket.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jordieboy
1) I will have some time to kill at JFK - as a *G would you recommend the LX or Oasis lounge? Can one try both?
Not sure about this, but I can say that the Oasis lounge is no great shakes. It's pretty jammed in the evening prior to the departure of SQ25, and the food isn't that great. Hard to imagine LX is worse, but who knows.

2) Should I BTC 6 times (JFK, FRA, and SIN) or do you feel that would be excessive and that I would be missing superb general menu options.
GF and I did this last year, BTCd on each leg. Given our experience, I wouldn't do it again. All of the food was fine, but I have a couple of observations. First, BTC kind of took the spontaneity out of the meals. Again, no complaints about the food, but it was kind of lame for me knowing what was coming. Second, and related, in theory you can opt out of BTC for something on the menu, but both times I tried this, I was told basically that they'd accommodate me if my choice was left after everyone else got their picks. Needless to say, both times I got stuck with my BTC choice. Third, I don't know about you, but in retrospect, trying to figure out what I wanted to eat days in advance (for the outbound) and weeks in advance (for the inbound) was an exercise in futility. All my logic in terms of what I'd want and when was off -- I ended up with a lighter meal when I would have preferred something heavier, and vice versa.

In short, unless you have specific dietary needs and/or preferences, I'd not BTC for every segment. Why not go over the menus, see if anything jumps out at you as a "must have," then roll the dice for the other segments?

3) I will have my computer bag (a 14in x 16in x 8in roller) and my suitcase (a standard 20in x 16in roller). Should I check the suitcase or take them both along.
What do you usually do? Your preference, I guess.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by as219
GF and I did this last year, BTCd on each leg. Given our experience, I wouldn't do it again.
IMO and for my western taste, I might BTC with Lobster Thermidor x-SIN or x-HKG. I would never BTC departing x-SFO, LHR, FRA, ZRH (no BTC anyway) or CDG, where you get to experience dishes from 3 of the world best chefs... Nancy Oakes (SFO), Gordon Ramsay (LHR and FRA) and Georges Blanc (CDG and ZRH).
Old Sep 13, 2008, 8:02 pm

Go to their website and look at your options. You're better off with BTC on those legs with no "signature chef" doing the cooking.
I think the word "superb" regarding their C class food is really stretching it!
Maybe palatable.

Last edited by Flyingfox; Sep 13, 2008 at 8:49 pm
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
Thank you all for your very informative responses. That helps a great deal.
The BTC advice is especially useful.

For some clarification on the other two questions.

1) Has anyone used their SQ C class ticket with *G status to use the JFK LX lounge?
From this thread and the websites it is not entirely clear.

2) With the computer bag and suitcase - I will be in 12A. I am wondering if there is ample storage space and if people think having the extra bag to tote in SIN is going to be a pain.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 1:33 pm

Any plans that the SQ25/26 will be upgrade to 77W or A380 before Nov 2009?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
What about LH vs SQ

Originally Posted by Savage25
1.5x only for SQ C on BD. Will earn 2x if credited to LH.
What about LH vs SQ in J.....agree forget CO
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:45 pm

Have fun!
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
My dec 23 JFK-FRA was great,
Dec 24 th FRA-SIN - We had a mechanical delay
Long Story short
the whole plane got a day room at Sheraton FRA.
We got rebooked on TG FRA-BKK and others were sent on the other SQ FRA-SIN and QF FRA-SIN
From what I saw SQ 25 finally departed Dec 25 00:45
Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:06 am

I have ask the question before here but have not recieved any answer. Any plans that the SQ25/26 will be upgrade to 77W or A380 before Nov 2009?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by rsydney
I have ask the question before here but have not recieved any answer. Any plans that the SQ25/26 will be upgrade to 77W or A380 before Nov 2009?
Not likely. For one thing, there are no A380 capable gates at FRA to which SQ currently has access -- those that are there, are exclusively LH.

There are also no more 77Ws to assign. That could change if some of the 773's are refitted by November, and then assigned to China, India, or Oz routes, releasing some of the existing 77Ws.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rolov
the whole plane got a day room at Sheraton FRA.
That must have been cramped.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by rsydney
I would say almost 0 % chance of the A380 and
less than 10 % that the 77W makes it over to JFK by then .

Originally Posted by Mofomat
That must have been cramped.
It was a big big room

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.