Singapore or Cathay Pacific for SFO-HKG?

Old Jul 14, 07, 6:04 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA MileagePlus, AA AAdvantage
Posts: 244
Singapore or Cathay Pacific for SFO-HKG?

I'm planning to fly SFO-HKG-SFO sometime in September or October, and I see coach fares of $825 on Singapore and $830 on Cathay Pacific. Any advice on which I should choose? Miles are not a consideration for these fares. Thanks!
im_blue is offline  
Old Jul 14, 07, 9:01 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Programs: SQ AA TK
Posts: 1,370
SQ if you want AVOD. All SQ 744 have AVOD and all CX 744 does not have AVOD. Maybe you want to choose the flight based on the departure and arrival time? If I were you, I would go on SQ, because AVOD certainly beats the old system. Service wise I think both are comparable.
dfs24 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 07, 3:04 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 13,144
Definately SQ. The CX Y seats especially on the 747s are really old and falling apart in addition to the lack of AVOD. You'll get the standard 32" leg room on both regardless.
Rejuvenated is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 12:52 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CA, USA
Programs: UA1K, AAPlat, SPG-G
Posts: 506
SQ over CX.
ctkw is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 12:56 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,916
What about UA with a $100 day of departure upgrade to E+. Obviously no entertainment and lackluster service but on a flight that long - every inch helps ^
elitetraveler is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 12:33 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 13,144
I would think 10x before even considering UA for this route.
Rejuvenated is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 12:34 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated View Post
I would think 10x before even considering UA for this route.
In F and J without doubt -but when it comes to get crammed in Y I do think E+ is a good alternative to the cattle car
elitetraveler is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 2:28 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA MileagePlus, AA AAdvantage
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by elitetraveler View Post
What about UA with a $100 day of departure upgrade to E+. Obviously no entertainment and lackluster service but on a flight that long - every inch helps ^
Well, UA costs $1133 + $100 x 2 = $1333 compared to ~$830 for CX/SQ, plus if I don't get the upgrade offer on the day of departure, I'm SOL. I'm guessing the 1:30am CX/SQ departures don't cater too well to business travelers?

On a separate note, HKG-SFO-HKG costs $1160 USD on SQ and $2200 USD on CX. Is it their policy to screw over their hometown fliers?
im_blue is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 2:35 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by im_blue View Post
Well, UA costs $1133 + $100 x 2 = $1333 compared to ~$830 for CX/SQ, plus if I don't get the upgrade offer on the day of departure, I'm SOL. I'm guessing the 1:30am CX/SQ departures don't cater too well to business travelers?

On a separate note, HKG-SFO-HKG costs $1160 USD on SQ and $2200 USD on CX. Is it their policy to screw over their hometown fliers?
Whenever Ive flown CX SFO-HKG it has been full in all classes, on the Eastbound I generally find it quite empty in F but full down the back but im sure it depends on day or week and time of year.
elitetraveler is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 6:22 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 13,144
Originally Posted by im_blue View Post
On a separate note, HKG-SFO-HKG costs $1160 USD on SQ and $2200 USD on CX. Is it their policy to screw over their hometown fliers?
Not at all surprising. Quite often, it is alot more expensive to fly the hometown carrier ex-their hometown hub. Expensive to purchase CX ticket originating ex-HKG, expensive to purchase SQ ticket originating ex-SIN, etc.
Rejuvenated is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: