Search

RTW F SQ "only" KrisFlyer membership

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2007, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: QC/Qff Gold Starwood SS/venetian HHon's Accorgold AmexPlat
RTW F SQ "only" KrisFlyer membership

Hi there,
I have just started posting on the SQ board and am in need of some advice from the local wise inteligencia.

Not being likely to give my mum and dad grandkids in my lifetime (my sister has taken on that job description^ ) I have taken it on my own back to shout, plan and put together Mum and dads "trip of a lifetime"
A brief out line follows and has not been finalised but is almost there.

I have just put together for mum and dad there first international trip out of australia with the SQ in first with the "SQ only" RTW.

They are presently confirmed on
26th nov QF bne-syd J
26th nov sq 222 syd-sin F (2f & 3f)

2 nights Ritz-Carlton, Premier marina club

28th noz sq 334 sin-cdg F (1a & 2a)

2 nights Crillon superior suite

01st dec French TGV F Paris-FRA via Zurich

Fra accomadation ?

02nd dec sq 26 fra-jfk F (2a & 3a)

2 nights Ritz-Carlton Central Park, Club parkview suite

4th dec AA nyc-san jose (costa Rica) via Mia FJ

4th dec San-Jose Marriott, Club Junior suite

5th dec Seabourn legend, Christmas/New Year cruise, Caldera-San Juan del sur Nicaragua-Puerto Quepos C/Rica-Fuerte Amador Panama-Panama canal transit-Puerto Moin c/rica-Roatan Honduras-Hunting Caye Belize-Fort Lauderdale-San Juan Puerto Rico-Gustavia St.Barts-Deshaies Guadeloupe-Bridgetown Barbados-Marigot St. Martin-Virgin Gorda Brittish Virgin Islands-Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas US virgin Islands-ft laudedale 29 days

2nd jan continental Fll-sfo F via Houston

3 nights Sfo Ritz-Carlton, 1 bed club suite

5th jan sq 15 sfo-sin via soule F (1f & 2f)

1 night Raffles ?

7th jan sq 231 sin-syd (2f & 3f)
but waitlisted on
7th jan sq 221 sin-syd F
8th jan qf syd-bne J .

Now mum and dad have never traveled out of Oz before and they are working class people and both 70 and aprehensive but excited
It has taken me 5 years to get them to do this and only because it is a present.
I hope they love it and travel more as a result, but i'm not holding my breath they would do it off there own back.

So, should l get mum and dad to join KrisFlyer ??
Would it be some advantage to them, both on their trip and in the future?
If they did not travel anymore what good would it be to them?
To me it would seem "sure" theres some good flights to build up rewards and status but l am still grapiling with trying to understand Kris and just when l am begining to get there, they now change everything and l am complettely lost.

Is it worth them going to the trouble of signing up?
Could they join their rewards together for any improved benefit for one of them.

And finally is there any improvement you would recomend to the above itin without increasing costs to much, the trips already costing me 55 thou Aud.

Thanks in advance,

Oh, l have never flown with SQ before but they just seemed so right for this trip, plus the airfares were very good.

Cheers
Colin...................

Last edited by jaffa.oz; Apr 28, 2007 at 4:46 am
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: LX SEN*/BA Silver/Sixt Diamond/IHG Platinum/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Gold
I would say your parents should join KrisFlyer. But another question how much does this trip cost p.p.
The best hotel in FRA is the newly opened Villa Kennedy Hotel.

regards m
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by jaffa.oz
Hi there,
3 nights Sfo Ritz-Carlton, 1 bed club suite
Try the St. Regis San Francisco. Ask for the SPG50 rate and see if that is any better. You can redeem 1000 SPG points or trade/buy a SPG50 coupon for little.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
They're going in F. They might as well join a programme that will earn them 3x mileage as opposed to SQ's 1.5x.

See sticky on *A forum for best *A programme to join.

But you seem to be doing your own 'planning' in the RTW trip. Shouldn't a TA have done a better job ? As they can incorporate indiviudal needs but throw in transfers, tours , meals, special treatments etc? Otherwise what're your parents going to do when they get to destinations?

Also why TGV Paris to FRA via ZRH? The new route is Paris to FRA direct via Strasbourg. Why spend only one day there?

I know that SQ"s RTW is possibly the better deal, but there are gaps in the picture... like if you really want the trip of a lifetime, take in for example, *A RTW when they can then enjoy the F class terminal at Frankfurt airport but only when flying LH flights. Or they can take in let's say EK/UA RTW that EK would provide limousine transfers...

I believe the majority of the cost of your parents' trip goes to accomodation. Which can be done a lot better...less, and with better value.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: EBG
Wealthy?

This sounds like a great trip, but it must cost a huge amount of money?

Are you sure you can afford this, or are you just dreaming?

What would the total price for this trip be??

BFN
Old Apr 28, 2007, 8:41 pm

Programs: United 1P, AA Plat, US Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by bhd87
Try the St. Regis San Francisco. Ask for the SPG50 rate and see if that is any better. You can redeem 1000 SPG points or trade/buy a SPG50 coupon for little.
I'm sure the St. Regis is nice, but who wants to stay in SOMA?

I'd recommend keeping your parents at the R-C. It's a beautiful hotel with very gracious staff.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenician Aviator
I'm sure the St. Regis is nice, but who wants to stay in SOMA?

I'd recommend keeping your parents at the R-C. It's a beautiful hotel with very gracious staff.
Um I do! The St. Regis is uber-cool and the rooms are to die for. The pool is equally as nice, and Ame is great.

The Ritz is nice, but its nothing to write home about: florals, old, dated, musty come to mind. It also lacks any differentiation from any other Ritz.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:40 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
I'm going to second the suggestion to go through a T.A. they will be able to do the flights a the best rate and will probably suggest a FRTWXX That way you can also combine the best aspects of *A (eg some SQ 77W routes with LH F out of FRA etc) you will also then be able to put the NA legs onto *A.

They will also be able to organise your hotels as well as transfers etc to make it all easier and it will all be packaged together so you know it works and you will have a contact person who can fix problems for you if they arise. It looks like you are spending an awful lot of money and a T.A. is the way to make sure that everything goes well.

Thats just my 2c.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 1:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ PPS, UA 1K, ANA, SPG GOLD, HYATT PLAT, HHONOUR GOLD

2 nights Crillon superior suite

01st dec French TGV F Paris-FRA via Zurich

Fra accomadation ?
Hi,

I would not choose the Crillon as this hotel needs upgrade and renovation, and service is not so good at the moment. In the same area I would go for the Meurice. In the first place I would pick the Plaza Athénée avenue Montaigne (designer row) or the Georges V four seasons avenue Georges V.
Train to FRA is a waste of time.
My favorite hotel in FRA is the Radisson.

Also, in Sin, I would choose the Mandarin Oriental Club floor because of the garanteed late check out to 8.00pm which great for late night flight.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
I certainly agree with what has been said in others posts, regarding transfers at the various ports of calls, especially as your parents have never travelled internationally. A full itinerary put together by an experienced TA should be your plan.

Might I also point out that you have not taken into account how they might cope with jet lag, obviously having no experience with it. I'm lucky and do not suffer so often forget that others do when I'm making plans. Per your current itinerary, they have two nights in Paris and NY for example. It would be a shame if they were unable to see much thru sheer exhaustion.

My own father is only slightly older than your parents and pretty good for his age, but I must say long haul travel really takes it out of him now.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
If they're anything like my in-laws (Australian working-class old-timers who lived through the depression) they will be saving all the freebies, the amenity kits, the little containers of jam, the soap, shampoo etc.

And they'll hate staying in those 5* hotels, afraid to touch anything because of the cost, skipping the minibar, no breakfast etc.

Look at booking them into the Hotel Hammer, Mainz (near Frankfurt) where the breakfast is free and there are plenty of shops and reasonable cheap restaurants nearby.

See this post for 12 good reasons to stay in Mainz.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
26th nov sq 222 syd-sin F (2f & 3f)

28th noz sq 334 sin-cdg F (1a & 2a)

02nd dec sq 26 fra-jfk F (2a & 3a)

5th jan sq 15 sfo-sin via soule F (1f & 2f)

7th jan sq 231 sin-syd (2f & 3f)
Sorry to ask, but are your parents on the brink of divorce?
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by bhd87
It also lacks any differentiation from any other Ritz.
For some brands, consistency is the key to pleasing your customer base. And the customer base for the RC SF is somewhat different from the St. Regis SF.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: QC/Qff Gold Starwood SS/venetian HHon's Accorgold AmexPlat
Wow, Thanks for the reply's

Thankyou everyone for your quick replys,

To answer some of your questions first:

The trip is costing about $22500 per person AUD, a bit more than l originally planned, but what the heck its something special for my mum and dad.
Both of them have always been a bit afraid of travel and have never been out of australia, but it has been my belief that they just need a gentle push.
Plus my mum is a real working woman as was my dad, neither have ever had the chance to enjoy some of life's nicer things, it's her turn to be a princess for 7 weeks. Even if it will be a one off, life experience.

Anyway, if it wasn't for them l wouldn't be the success l am today and l sincerly want to give them something back, something amazing.
I have been planning this now for around 4 years and yes l can afford it, but until now they have not let me do anything.
It is only because of some good friends of theirs who have just come back from a cruise through Panama that have convinced them to give it a go.
Hence the suprise.

Guy Betsy:
I am useing a T/A a good one The whole trip is built around the cruise which is the mainstay of everything. We have been given a excelent price for a 5 star 29 day all expences paid including alcohol experience. at around 50% off.

The RTW air tickets are $7700 per person no other decent airline comes close to this for F and SQ have provided some extra's which have just sweetend the pot. It is much cheaper to do this than fly them return to the US like about $6000 per person.

Thats why l have added paris it coinsides with mums birthday.
Ritz-Carlton is a hotel l have stayed in before, They were very happy to put together a great package icluding private car transfers, breakfast, club floor upgrades and some suprise extra's that they say mum and dad will love. The Ritz quote is $4894 all up. I don't think thats to bad for 10 nights for what they are getting.

I have not finalised Paris yet, but was recomended the Crillon, But am looking at the Plaza Athenee as per SQ77W's comments (thanks for that )

Both of them worked for Queensland rail all their working lives,(thats how they met) dad worked on the rail gangs way out west for 6 weeks at a time away from home. Mum cooked for the workers at the rail workshops in rockhamton.

They both have a love for trains, dad is so excited to be going on the fastest train, he has always been amazed at the TGV.
It takes 11 hours on the route l have picked it gives them a chance to see some of the french country side and also a little taste of the alps, the rhine and the danube. They get into FRA at about 7.30 pm and fly out at 8.35 the next am fo NYC. It is a day that dad in particular is looking forward to.
Thats why l have picked the non direct route and yes l know the last leg is not on the TGV.

I apreciated your feedback it did make me rethink, thanks for that!!^
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up

Your parents must be so proud of you....and what a wonderful trip you have planned for them^ ^ ^ Well done!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.