Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Question regarding Business Class ZRH-SIN-AKL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond

Hi, I thought this question might best be asked here in the KrisFlyer section.

I am planning a trip ZRH-AKL-ZRH in Feb, 2008 for 4 people in Business Class.

As we want to use LH M&M miles for this trip, we will be limited to *A carriers, the best option so far (in terms of availability and travel time) seems to be:

SQ 345 ZRH-SIN
SQ 281 SIN-AKL
SQ 286 AKL-SIN
SQ 346 SIN-ZRH

I see that the ZRH-SIN and SIN-ZRH legs are serviced by a 77W with the new J class, but SIN-AKL and AKL-SIN is serviced by a 772.

So far, I have flown ZRH-AKL-ZRH two times in Business class - while I enjoyed my trip in MH through Kuala Lumpur, another trip on KE through Seoul was below my expectations.

Obviously, the new J on 77W will be great, but how would you compare the old J on the 772 to other J classes?

Being 6'4" or 195cm tall, I'm most concerned about the seats myself, and good food and entertainment systems are only an added bonus for me.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by goliath; Feb 21, 2007 at 5:42 am
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:08 am

Spacebeds on the 772 should be ok for your height, methinks. It was ok when I tried it the other time. Though that was exit row on the upper deck of the 744. Just my 2 cents.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sporadic
Spacebeds on the 772 should be ok for your height, methinks.
According to Seatguru there are 3 versions of the 772, but only one, the 777-200 ER would feature the spacebeds.

Is there a way of finding out which version of the 772 is used for the flights SIN-AKL-SIN?
The Singapore Air website shows the 2-3-2 layout (which would be standard seats), but also states that "there are multiple configurations of this aircraft".
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goliath
....Is there a way of finding out which version of the 772 is used for the flights SIN-AKL-SIN?.....
SIN-AKL-SIN is always operated by 772ER with spacebeds. ^
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:38 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
just an advice from my side: book ASAP!!

I have booked a M&M award ZRH-SYD two weeks ago for Jan '08, neither SQ345 nor SQ346 were available. On top of that, any flights from SIN-Continental Europe (ZRH, FRA, AMS, CDG) did not show availability for a full week in January!

just my two cents
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by TerryK
SIN-AKL-SIN is always operated by 772ER with spacebeds. ^
Same for SIN-CHC-SIN.

But looking a year ahead a/c used and/or schedule could have changed. I think the switch from daily 744 (285/286) to 772 will cause problems, especially in southern summer peak season. So once SQ has enough a/c may go to double daily or may upgauge back to bigger a/c (especially for peak season).

February is still peak season so I wouldn't dally too long over booking.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

posted in the wrong thread, sorry...

Last edited by goliath; Feb 21, 2007 at 12:22 pm Reason: posted in the wrong thread
Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
But looking a year ahead a/c used and/or schedule could have changed. I think the switch from daily 744 (285/286) to 772 will cause problems, especially in southern summer peak season. So once SQ has enough a/c may go to double daily or may upgauge back to bigger a/c (especially for peak season).
If the 744 are indeed gone for good by Southern Hemisphere Summer 07-08, the solution to avoid over capacity is to have a double daily 772. Currently if I am not mistaken, 281/2 operates 5-6 weekly then going down to 4x weekly in April?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to Seatguru there are 3 versions of the 772, but only one, the 777-200 ER would feature the spacebeds.

Is there a way of finding out which version of the 772 is used for the flights SIN-AKL-SIN?
The Singapore Air website shows the 2-3-2 layout (which would be standard seats), but also states that "there are multiple configurations of this aircraft".
Good luck in getting awards for the 77W as they have really been difficult to come by.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
If the 744 are indeed gone for good by Southern Hemisphere Summer 07-08, the solution to avoid over capacity is to have a double daily 772. Currently if I am not mistaken, 281/2 operates 5-6 weekly then going down to 4x weekly in April?
I don't think overcapacity is a problem (it wasn't long ago SQ was thinking about daily 772/77W + daily 744, year round). Lack of capacity however will be a major problem next southern summer if they don't reup the flights (add more and/or upgauge).
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:56 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I don't think overcapacity is a problem (it wasn't long ago SQ was thinking about daily 772/77W + daily 744, year round). Lack of capacity however will be a major problem next southern summer if they don't reup the flights (add more and/or upgauge).
Tellmeabouddit... impossible to get my flights of choice in J to Europe. Did not clear the J waitlist in Feb and had to fly in Y, and am now waitlisted for a flight in late March. Argh. Doesn't help that I generally only know my travel plans 1-2mths in advance.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 1:14 am

I am planning a trip ZRH-AKL-ZRH in Feb, 2008 for 4 people in Business Class.

As we want to use LH M&M miles for this trip, we will be limited to *A carriers, the best option so far (in terms of availability and travel time) seems to be:
SQ only offers 2 C redemption seats/flight so you're not going to get 4 seats on the same flight. Also, SQ seems to have made redemption on 77Ws in F & C only if you have KF miles and on very rare occasions *A miles redemption.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 1:20 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by fimo
Tellmeabouddit... impossible to get my flights of choice in J to Europe. Did not clear the J waitlist in Feb and had to fly in Y, and am now waitlisted for a flight in late March. Argh. Doesn't help that I generally only know my travel plans 1-2mths in advance.
I just released a seat early April due to change of plans. Of my 3 booked (so far) trips to europe for this year I'm only on SQ on one of them & even then only one way ).
Old Feb 22, 2007, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all your inputs!

We have split up and will be travelling two separate routes. So far, I have managed to get:

- 2 pax on ZRH-FRA-SIN-AKL on SQ
- 2 pax on ZRH-LHR-(HKG)-AKL on NZ

on the exact date we wanted to travel inbound. For the return flights I'll have to wait for the "330/340/350/360 days in advance" - whichever applies to the airlines we will fly on.

Do you know how many days in advance SQ award seats are released to M&M members? It appears to be at least 350 days since I was able to book the Feb, 9 - 10, 2008 flights yesterday.

Last edited by goliath; Feb 22, 2007 at 4:18 am
Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ flies ZRH-FRA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.