Wiki Posts
Search

Extra Screening For MI755 AFTER Landing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines PPS Club
Extra Screening For MI755 AFTER Landing

I usually wander around Changi's Departure level a little upon landing, just to see which gate I'm at and which flight my aircraft will next be deployed on, etc. No such luck for me last night, 27 Oct, following my arrival on MI755 at 8:35pm.

Cordons and policemen were everywhere (I managed to find that I was at F40), and I was politely harrassed to follow the crowd for a distance, past one or two more gates, before the whole lot of us arrived at a set of 6 or so X-ray machines. Only then could we proceed on to the Arrival level (or the rest of the Departure level if one desired).

What's with the extra security? Clearly only a small portion of the F30-F42 wing was affected. I tried to ask a policeman standing by the edge of the cordon, but he did not know, and directed me to the white-shirted screeners. I did not think it was wise to invite trouble, so I restrained myself. Given that the machines would not be easily moved and looked like a semi-permanent feature, it appears that this extra screening was targeted at specific flights, which would be specifically directed to park at this wing. Anybody knows if there was a threat against my flight or some other inside scoop?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I think it's more likely that they're looking for drug smugglers.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:39 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
I could not find the thread which discussed about extra screening upon arrival at Changi. Anyone can help?
It has happened to me a few times, but it was not hindering the arrival process. All bags get x-rayed again.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It happens from time to time on BKK-SIN flights. It seems to be random.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
It also happens every so often on CGK-SIN. Slight inconvenience, but really no big deal.

Well it may be a big deal if you're smuggling drugs.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes normal. On my flights from BKK or CGK I'd say one in 2 or one in 3 get this treatment. There is a bit of discussion in this thread
Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Had this experience last week on SQ 75 MNL-SIN. Also had it happen last year on a flight BKK-SIN.

Didn't bother me at all -- maybe took an additional one or two minutes as opposed to just walking off the jetway into T2.

Besides, considering how many metal detectors I had to go through in just two days in metro Manila, going through one more as I arrived back in SIN didn't even register on the radar screen.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:09 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, OnePass, SPG Gold
Experienced this on a CGK-SIN arrival. Last flight of the day. Very slow moving thru 2 machines. Very vocal disgruntled connecting pax when crew jumped the queue, causing further unnecessary delay. We happened to followed crew land side, so noted there was no apparent need for haste in the crew's case because it appeared they were not having to report for continuing flight duty. In this case, it appeared to us that SQ crew's convenience put above above pax needs.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:45 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
There is a thread where this has been discussed, but I couldn't easily find it. I was only thinking the other day on returning to SIN from MNL and BKK in close proximity that at least they'd seemed to have stopped the inbound screening...maybe I jinxed you.

Sounds like it's a response to drugs/terror or other intel.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines PPS Club
Seems to me that these extra checks are targeted at flights from regional destinations. HKT, CGK, MNL... Perhaps this whole thing's somehow related to the regional terror threat. I'm not complaining about the hassle or delay though. Any foreign visitor, on the contrary, would have been impressed with our tough stance on terror!
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:03 pm

Got it after one of my BKK flight.
Thanks goodness I was at the front of the plane (ie faster departure), so I passed through fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.